What's new

Help group set deals

178 is ok just about anywhere in Japan, btw. One of the dealers I sell wheels to had on display. My guess is with the weak Yen, the grey market for 9000 just became that much darker.

Thanks!

I saw that they were selling DA 9000 for $1,8-something

Hey Patrick,

Did you figure out anything yet?

After I leave this statistics course behind me in the early summer I plan to pick up a new group set, and I have a similar idea as what you originally posted. I want a good top level group that I won't be replacing any time soon; I want great, but not Campy super record EPS $4000 great. I'm thinking $2k:eek:

I got pretty much a full SRAM red group set for around $1.3k. The stuff that's not SRAM red is a SRAM red black compact crank and most likely the rear cassette (I haven't bought the rear cassette yet but will most likely get an ultegra cassette). Most components I got from chain reaction and the rest I got from wiggle.

Very tough decision in the 20man mark ---

1) Campy shifters still reign supreme. I tested the 9000's again today - not that impressed. Still feel not much better than 9000 yen ARSIS Microshift.

2) 9000 Brakes are better - but still. again, the Campy dual series has them beat in terms of modulation and overall control. Campy is oh-so-crisp and svelte.

3) SRAM is my overall vote simply because it works well with Shimano (of course) , is lighter, and tighter than Shimano (still). But, I'd rather be on Record..if you know what I mean.

4) Mix and Match now more than ever! Shimano 11sp means we can access Campy levers directly and just run Shimano cassette on <most> existing wheels that hae a 11sp freebody upgrade. The new Crappendale crankset is really amazing - I just wish it didn't carrry the 'stigmata'. (decals) At least its a better <name> than BoneTragger. I'm still cruising Extralite for a factory blem.

5) So - my 'best choice'
- Campy Record Levers
- Extralite QRC
- TRP Brakes or Record Brakes
- Record or 9000 deraillers
- DA Cassette

6) Best Global Value: Campy Chorus

IMO, the Chorus is still a better rig than the 9000. More comfy levers, better shifting, modulated braking, history of reliability and you can buy every single individual part from Campy.

7) Best J-Value: Ultegra This groupset does nothing bad and almost everything great. Unless you are a total weight weenie or FPT is over 400, the Ultegra is gonna work perfect for ANY kind of riding you do. Including cross, mind you. With the new 12-30 cassette option - nothing changes. It works fine!

I got pretty much a full SRAM red group set for around $1.3k. The stuff that's not SRAM red is a SRAM red black compact crank and most likely the rear cassette (I haven't bought the rear cassette yet but will most likely get an ultegra cassette). Most components I got from chain reaction and the rest I got from wiggle.

Cool,

I'm very interested to read about how you like it, and how the durability goes.

Red is in the mix for sure

Very tough decision in the 20man mark ---

1) Campy shifters still reign supreme. I tested the 9000's again today - not that impressed. Still feel not much better than 9000 yen ARSIS Microshift.

2) 9000 Brakes are better - but still. again, the Campy dual series has them beat in terms of modulation and overall control. Campy is oh-so-crisp and svelte.

3) SRAM is my overall vote simply because it works well with Shimano (of course) , is lighter, and tighter than Shimano (still). But, I'd rather be on Record..if you know what I mean.

4) Mix and Match now more than ever! Shimano 11sp means we can access Campy levers directly and just run Shimano cassette on <most> existing wheels that hae a 11sp freebody upgrade. The new Crappendale crankset is really amazing - I just wish it didn't carrry the 'stigmata'. (decals) At least its a better <name> than BoneTragger. I'm still cruising Extralite for a factory blem.

5) So - my 'best choice'
- Campy Record Levers
- Extralite QRC
- TRP Brakes or Record Brakes
- Record or 9000 deraillers
- DA Cassette

6) Best Global Value: Campy Chorus

IMO, the Chorus is still a better rig than the 9000. More comfy levers, better shifting, modulated braking, history of reliability and you can buy every single individual part from Campy.

7) Best J-Value: Ultegra This groupset does nothing bad and almost everything great. Unless you are a total weight weenie or FPT is over 400, the Ultegra is gonna work perfect for ANY kind of riding you do. Including cross, mind you. With the new 12-30 cassette option - nothing changes. It works fine!

Hear ya on the campy chorus, many people say the same thing. Great value.

What do you, and others, think about Ultegra Di2?

And if you went full group who would it be?

Big red? Campy?

Dura Ace 7900 - IT DOES NOT BREAK and gets the job done.
ok it does if you really try

Raced a full road season on my DA then switched everything but the brake callipers over. It's been through snow, sand, mud. Been involved in high speed crashes in Pro Criteriums and Pro CX races and just keeps coming back for more.

Can't go wrong!

Raced a full road season on my DA then switched everything but the brake callipers over. It's been through snow, sand, mud. Been involved in high speed crashes in Pro Criteriums and Pro CX races and just keeps coming back for more.

Can't go wrong!

Living up to the name, and that's what I hear from friends as well. DA is just that.

I've seen 7900 sets on sale for great prices too

I had the choice of going 9000 for this years road season but decided to go with 7900 again as right now I don't need the 11 speed cassette to give me an edge. I actually looked at the gear spread and right now 7900 gives me exactly what I need when climbing or sprinting.

I also have 4 bikes running the same group set and switching to 9000 means that those bikes and parts become redundant in the event of breakage to my main racing bike.

Very good point! Especially for the stronger / heavier rider. I had DA 7900 on my bike and cannot fault it in any way - but compared to Ultegra - at my weight and power levels, there was no apparant difference.

I'm struggling with the switch back to Campy here in Japan only for the intercompatibility isssues. With Shimano 11sp on the market at least it means wheels would interchange as long as they have 11sp cassette.

If you're going to race <seriously> then Shimano or SRAM, IMO, is the clear choice because, as far as I could see, no neutral support had Campy wheels. And Mavic (the largest NS provider) is using CAAD10's as their Neutral bikes - so if you get a swap- you'll be on Shimano.

That being said -- I still prefer the Chorus levers, and that means 11sp so maybe I'd adjust my 'dream value group' :

Chorus Levers
DA 7900 Chainset (with DA9000 these will drop in price alot)
Chorus Brakes
DA 9000 FD
DA 7900 RD
Recon Cassette (can't get a 12-29 yet in Shimano)

Can't go wrong!

Another vote for DA7900. Strong as hell, great shifting, reassuringly industrial construction, etc. Never stop, and impossible to break. Going to be pretty cheap now, compared to what it went for when it first came out (haven't checked, but it will be...)

There is not a day when I don't just get on my bike and ride it, safe in the knowledge that nothing is going to go wrong with my transmission. Truly an install and forget groupset. Almost a shame that one doesn't think about it, really, considering how good it is.

I ponced my bike up even more with SiSL2, and it is definitely stiffer/lighter, etc. but the DA7900 chainset is still pretty much the boss (I will sell you mine for next to naffink...)

Another vote for DA7900. Strong as hell, great shifting, reassuringly industrial construction, etc. Never stop, and impossible to break. Going to be pretty cheap now, compared to what it went for when it first came out (haven't checked, but it will be...)

There is not a day when I don't just get on my bike and ride it, safe in the knowledge that nothing is going to go wrong with my transmission. Truly an install and forget groupset. Almost a shame that one doesn't think about it, really, considering how good it is.

I ponced my bike up even more with SiSL2, and it is definitely stiffer/lighter, etc. but the DA7900 chainset is still pretty much the boss (I will sell you mine for next to naffink...)

That's what I've seen from my friend back home that just lubes the chain (original I think), does the yearly indexing (just for the hell of it), and rides hard every time but does no real up-keep. Never had a problem, but it does sound pretty loud and probably because of a lack of cleaning and so on.

@Owen - I'm interested . PM if you're serious.

Chorus Levers
DA 7900 Chainset (with DA9000 these will drop in price alot)
Chorus Brakes
DA 9000 FD
DA 7900 RD
Recon Cassette (can't get a 12-29 yet in Shimano)

So no compatibility issues between campy and DA? Good to read that, if I ever upgrade the shifting drive train. Not likely though.

Basically , correct. I need to fiddle around some more with the FD. The 9000 cable pull is different than the 7900 - but Campy levers have a lot of trim options. My final verdict is out until some new campy bits arrive and I can start the 'cross dressing' games. No issues I could see (or feel) on the rear mechs - and confirm with other riders and mechanics.

So no compatibility issues between campy and DA? Good to read that, if I ever upgrade the shifting drive train. Not likely though.

But why on earth would you want to ride a Frankinbike?

It is all part of the mental training; you will never know what bloody gear you are in and need to develop Jedi style ultra-sense to figure it all out.

But why would you want that either?

The whole point of the bicycle is its simplicity, when you start with the heresy of trying to mix brands then you completely lose the meaning of what the bike is essentially about.

Back
Top Bottom