What's new

Group rides in Tokyo area

trad

Maximum Pace
Dec 4, 2006
Hello, I'm new to this forum.. I will be moving to Tokyo in January 07 (probably Minato-ku area). Are there any weekly group rides that people recommend? Many thanks.

Also.. I know use of rinko bukuro is necessary to take bikes onto trains, but what do most people do with the bags and other clothes at the destination - lockers?

hi trad, welcome to TCC!

We have a lot of activities and runs to places various, and members also let us know whatever they are planning to do as far as short runs and things and ask other members to join. Dunno of any weekly runs, maybe somebody else does?

as far as the bike bag and clothes go, sure a locker is one option if you are returning to the same place, but as often as not you are not so you generally carry this stuff.

look forward to riding with you

Ash

Yokoso!

Welcome to TCC.

Will this be your first time in Japan? A bike is a good way to learn your way around.:)

Hi. I was born and raised in Tokyo and went thru high school there (American schools). I'll be in Tokyo on an expat assignment, which should be great fun. There's things I cannot teach my kids w/o the benefit of first hand experience.... Look forward to meeting with the crew and getting in a few rides.

Hi. I was born and raised in Tokyo and went thru high school there (American schools). I'll be in Tokyo on an expat assignment, which should be great fun. There's things I cannot teach my kids w/o the benefit of first hand experience.... Look forward to meeting with the crew and getting in a few rides.
Hi trad-san,

welcome to TCC!:welcome:

I'm looking forward to seeing you, of course, and kids.
たのしみにしてまーす!:D

Recent rinko-bukuro is enough small to bring on your bike!

Rinko Bukuro

Hey trad!
This it Travis. As ashwarren has already said, it is better to carry a bike-bag with you when you go on long rides. However, if you're not planning to venture into the mountains, etc.. you really don't need one most of the time - Just ride from your place, back to your place.
But... on the long journeys, you really can't be too sure if the place you start at will be the same place you end at, so if the ride hasn't been carefully planned out before-hand, it's better to take the bag with you (rather than put it in a coin-locker).
Another reason to keep the bike-bag with you, is the weather; It may be sunny in the A.M, and then change to rain in the P.M.
Other than that though, it just depends on the day, the distance, the destination, the weather etc.... Lots of variables, but just play it as you go!

As for weekly rides, Sat/Sun river rides are fairly common in the warmer months - not so much in winter though.
Just keep an eye on the site, and if someone's doing a ride that you think you might like to join, send a reply and say, "I'm in!".
That's about it really. Look forward to it! T

Back
Top Bottom