What's new

Grinding sound/feeling - headset area

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
So I put my bike back together a few weeks ago and there is a grinding type of feeling when I turn the handle bars.

I took them apart and reinstalled the bars and stem twice but it's still there; I think it has something to do headset/fork because when I was putting the stem on the first time the forks almost fell out, that is, the forks almost detached when I was holding the bike.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated, and if you need a better description let me know (not sure if what I said makes sense)

Cheers

time to replacing the headset bearings - also if you are using a compression headset, you may have lost the rubber ring that runs around the inside of the compression cup - this is normally what stops the whole thing falling apart when trying to put it together.

Hmm the rubber ring...this sounds like a first place to look as my headset and forks kinda fell apart when I picked up the bike from the travel box. Thanks for the tip

Answer these first, in a bid to clarify the situation.

1. Make and model of frame, forks, headset and stem.
2. How was it packed; did you remove the stem from the fork steerer tube?
3. When disassembling ready to put in the travel box, and if you removed the stem from the fork steerer tube, did the fork slide all the way out of the frame headtube.
4. Same as question 3., except when you took the bike out of the box.
1. Bianchi
2. Not removed, just took off the stem and turned the forks to the side.
3/4. No and sort of, when I was putting her back together the fork began to slide out the bottom

Ok so again a huge delay in actually getting around to trying to fix this, and now the inner bolt and the assembly it is part of fell down deep into the steer tube and I can't reach it...

Any ideas?

Any ideas?
Turn it upside down and shake it?
Poke it with a stick through the drain hole?
Pull it with a magnet on a stick?
Heimlich manoeuvre?
Take it to a mechanic?

Turn it upside down and shake it?
Magnet on a stick?
Heimlich manoeuvre?
Take it to a mechanic?
Turned it upside down and tried shaking the crap out of it but no luck, ok I guess I will have to try that again or go look for magnet thing...or pay for a mechanic to fix my blunder...

I got that thing out of the steerer tube, but it still isn't fitting properly and I have taken it apart several times to try and fit it so that there is no play in the headset area.

Look like I will have to break down and take her to the doctor...

Thanks all ;)

Just for you!

Attachments

• IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1222.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Ok so again a huge delay in actually getting around to trying to fix this, and now the inner bolt and the assembly it is part of fell down deep into the steer tube and I can't reach it...

Any ideas?

ok here it all is, messy and taken apart

Attachments

• IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1236.jpg
    IMG_1236.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1237.jpg
    IMG_1237.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
When you move the bearings by hand when they're free from the steer tube and headset like IMG_1237, do they turn smoothly or raggedly?

When you move the bearings by hand when they're free from the steer tube and headset like IMG_1237, do they turn smoothly or raggedly?
I would stop short of saying ragged, but they are not dura ace smooth if you get my drift

Yeah I'll look into taking it all apart and stuff and then see what's up

Back
Top Bottom