Greetz from Taito-ku

Komuso

Cruising
Oct 6, 2010
Tokyo
Hey all. Apparently I joined the forums some time back but I don't remember ever posting, and haven't been checking. Finally had the funds to buy a second hand road bike a couple of months ago, so for the first time in about ten years I'm doing some riding again.

I got into cycling by way of couriering in Sydney, Australia for a few years, then just rode by myself for years; have never ridden in any group activities. I am interested in training, see what my body can do, but at 38 years of age, hereon I think it'll just be a matter of personal challenges!

Have been sticking to mid intensity rides of 40 or 50 kms, with the occasional 100 km ride. Looking to do at least one 100km ride a week.

Was hoping to do a little tour from Tokyo up to Aomori and back this year but things got a bit busy; if its not too cold in mid October, I might still be able to fit it in.

From Taito-ku I usually ride along the Arakawa. Anyone else in the area, or cycling along the Arakawa?

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Yep me! Welcome aboard. I cycle a lot around saiko lake in saitama and do runs up and down from the toda area.

There are a bunch of group rides on weekends that leave from arakawa. They are friendly and fun!

Dec 16, 2012
Tokyo
Welcome @Komuso. I also ride along the Arakawa, both down and upriver. Saturday and Sunday rides into the mountains usually start from the Spaceship and finish back there or at Ogawamachi/Sakado station on the Tobu Tojo line. Best way to get into them is to just turn up and enjoy the suffering - that's how we all started!

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
Alright @Komuso. Yeah what Andy said.

Also, 38 ain't nothing. The hardest shredders in the club are in their 30s and 40s. You have loads more storming to get done yet!

Komuso

Cruising
Oct 6, 2010
Tokyo
Hey theBlob, thanks for chiming in. Any info, or way I might find info, about these weekend rides? Never been to Saiko Lake, but have passed by on my way up into Saitama. Nice track around the lake, is there?

Hey Andy. The spaceship would be the flow control building there? What day and time does everyone meet? Sundays would be a go for me.

TCC, sounds like I might have some fun and pain ahead then, heh.

Last edited:

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
Just keep an eye on the forum and look for any threads with a yellow 'RIDE' tag at the start. We are kind of on a bit of a quiet one due to the mad heat at the moment, but there are still shorter rides happening. Things will start properly going off in a few weeks.

There are people riding early morning too, if you are up for that. @theBlob and @Mlac Peek ride on Lake Saiko every weekday morning.

If you are on Strava that would make things easier too.

Dec 16, 2012
Tokyo
Hey Andy. The spaceship would be the flow control building there? What day and time does everyone meet? Sundays would be a go for me.
That would be the one. You can't miss it.

The Saturday start time is usually 7am in summer, sometimes earlier to avoid the heat. This Saturday's ride will be posted up soon.

The Sunday start time is usually around 6am, or earlier, depending on how many cartons of Um Bongo @Mlac Peek has had with his breakfast.

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
@Komuso welcome. Like others have said, turn up to the rides and enjoy. If you get dropped, come back the next week and keep doing it until you no longer get dropped. If you drop us on the other hand, you'll have to wait for us to show you the way ;) (unless you have a GPS computer that you can put the route into).

Komuso

Cruising
Oct 6, 2010
Tokyo
If you are on Strava that would make things easier too.
I had a quick look at Strava some time back but had some kind of dropped connection error and forgot about using it. Will take another look...

The Sunday start time is usually around 6am, or earlier, depending on how many cartons of Um Bongo @Mlac Peek has had with his breakfast.
Will turn up a bit before 6am tomorrow, see if anyone is around!

@Komuso welcome. Like others have said, turn up to the rides and enjoy. If you get dropped, come back the next week and keep doing it until you no longer get dropped. If you drop us on the other hand, you'll have to wait for us to show you the way ;) (unless you have a GPS computer that you can put the route into).
Thanks leicaman. Been using a Garmin etrex for routes. Doubt I'm going to be needing it because I sped ahead though :p