Greetings

papachari

Warming-Up
Sep 5, 2011
Okayama
Hi,

just wanted to say I'm really happy to be part of this forum. I'm a novice and a rider for pleasure as opposed to a keirin master. I'm really looking forward to learning about some great rides. Hopefully I can pencil in a few in West Japan as that is where I am based.

I've got a young family, so finding time to ride has been tricky, but hopefully I can get energized with all the posts here and rediscover my inner Randonneur.

My bike is a Calamita Due. It's a simple racer, bit old school with shifters on the down tube. It's my first road bike and the thing I love about it is the power efficiency and economy of movement. Nothing seems wasted. I could go fast, but it just makes me want to go smooth.

Really want to learn more about maintenance as learning about the mechanics seems the best way to learn how to care for and get the most out of your bike.

I find myself thinking about my bike far too often, but I don't mind that...

Looking forward to reading and posting.

All the Best

Tim

papachari

Warming-Up
Sep 5, 2011
Okayama
Cheers

Hi there,

thanks for the reply. Okayama City has been home for the past 10 years. Going to ride the Shimanami Kaido across the bridges to Shikoku in the next month. Want to spend some time planning and take in some interesting towns along the way.

I ride about 150km a week commuting, but need to get out on those mountain roads and explore a bit more...

Tim

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Going to ride the Shimanami Kaido across the bridges to Shikoku in the next month. Want to spend some time planning and take in some interesting towns along the way.
It's a really nice trip. If you can, take two days and really explore the islands.

On Ikuchijima, the Kosanji temple and it's outdoor sculpture museum is worth a look. As is the adjacent loop around very quiet Takaneshima.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg268.imageshack.us%2Fimg268%2F6816%2Fikuchijima.th.jpg&hash=2c4d0ecc8acb636f9369e7e47d94b7d4

The coastal loop around Innoshima has some nice hills too.

Two movies from two Shikoku trips, both taking in the Shimanami-kaido:

2011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAgDyrXdtrg

2008 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOF8GZ98ho

Have GPS data if you want it.

--Mike--

okayamaPaul

Speeding Up
Jun 18, 2011
Okayama
Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

I am from Kurashiki and got a road bike about 2 months ago.

The area south of Kurashiki and Okayama is quite nice for riding, I ride a fair bit up both Tanematsuyama and up the Washuzan skyline from where the Hayakusa interchange is down to Kojima. They are both around 250m and Washuzan has some nice views too. The coastal road from Kojima around to Tamano is also nice. The coastal road from Mizushima around west to Kasaoka is nice and pleasant too. Up near Takahashi, there are some great runs, but the gradients are pretty harsh. There is a hill climb event at Takahashi at the end October too.

I tried to ride up the mountain where Kinojyo is, but I haven't managed to get to the top yet, but would like to try again someday.

Anyway, let's go for a ride sometime if you are interested, I don't mind how quick or slow we go, I do like a good chinwag though. If you know of any nice roads around Okayama, I would love to know.

Also, there is a good bike shop in Okayama called Nakayama where I actually got a fitting done yesterday. Quite professional and courteous and the best out of 4 bicycle shops I have dealt with in Japan. (Fukuyama and Kurashiki)

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi
Hi there,

thanks for the reply. Okayama City has been home for the past 10 years. Going to ride the Shimanami Kaido across the bridges to Shikoku in the next month. Want to spend some time planning and take in some interesting towns along the way.

I ride about 150km a week commuting, but need to get out on those mountain roads and explore a bit more...

Tim
Greetings from down in Kochi. If you`re interested in Shimanami, there is a ride across part of it on Oct 16th that is still open for entry. It`s from the Shikoku side - there`s another one this month that covers the whole section but that is closed for entry. I`m trying to decide between this and one on the same day in Takamatsu so I might be there - the one in Takamatsu looks more of a `race`, but this one has the scenery!
http://www.shimanami-cycling.jp/index.htm

papachari

Warming-Up
Sep 5, 2011
Okayama
Awesome video. Love those low open bridges and narrow downhills. Just waiting for my riding partner to get his bike sorted and I'm on it.

Need to get a GPS ready phone! I don't even own one - will upgrade the wife's and stow it in my back pocket.

Tim

papachari

Warming-Up
Sep 5, 2011
Okayama
Hi Paul,

I live about 5 minutes walk from Nakayama bike shop. I have always found them a bit snooty, although they are good at what they do.

We should get in touch. Give us a mail when you get the time.

Tim

papachari

Warming-Up
Sep 5, 2011
Okayama
Hi Sikochi,

need to get some long rides behind me before I go into a mass rumpus. But when I've earned my stripes I'll be up for it. Thanks for the info.

: )

Tim

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi
We should get in touch. My mail is ...
Tim
I think you should edit this to remove your email address or spam will be your friend! You can PM details to Paul.

I wouldn`t worry about the mass rumpus. My guess is that there will be many people for whom this is their first mass ride and once you`ve set off, pacing should soon start dispersing people.