What's new

Greetings!

KayGKing

Warming-Up
Aug 26, 2011
Hello everybody,

I'm a 21 year old Scots/British dude, heading off for Tokyo in a couple of weeks for a year of University. I'll be based around Yoyogi area mainly. I help run the cycling club at my university in the UK, and am hoping to get off on some group rides in Japan. Small problem; no bike. Since I am a functionally bankrupt student, I'm looking at spending no more than £200-£250 (Y30,000) on a bike. Something (probably the looks) attracts me to the whole single-speed thing, which might bring the price down, but that's probably hopelessly impractical, as I intend to cycle the entire route of the Tokaido at some point (pannier bags etc). However I had a couple of crappy singlespeeds in Chiba a couple of years ago (one crashed and written off, one stolen) and that was great fun for beetling about on. So if anyone has something second hand to sell (or even a real crap one you just want to get rid of) or if anyone can direct me towards a shop that sells some sweet cheap roadies I'd be chuffed. There was a place not too far from Funabashi Station, but I can't remember the name for the life of me, and doubt that I would be able to locate it again. If anybody knows the one I'm talking about, please do tell!

Btw, the club kit jerseys etc look amazing....cheaper and better looking than the ones we tried to get for our club here. If there's a 2012 version coming, count me in!

Hope to meet some of you in Tokyo!:bike:

Hi KayGKing,
what frame size would you like?

Cheers, Eugen

Hi there Eugen,

I think I need something around a 54cm frame (I'm not tall, but my legs are a bit long relative to my body). I think this should be findable in Japan - I'm not exactly fussy though - my last bike however did fit me very well, and I realise the difference a well-fitting bike can make. At the end of the day though, I'll take whatever I can get.:)

I have a frameset I don't use anymore, but I'm afraid it's a bit too large...:eek:uch:

This is completely doable if you can bump your budget to about 50,000 yen

1) 'No name frame' - 10,000 yen (Stu has one)
2) Shimano WHR-500 Wheelset - 12,000 yen
3) Scrounge some used tires and a couple of tubes - 2000 yen
4) Sora groupset - 20,000 yen
5) Cockpit from scrounged parts - 6000 yen

There ya go!

This is completely doable if you can bump your budget to about 50,000 yen

1) 'No name frame' - 10,000 yen (Stu has one)
2) Shimano WHR-500 Wheelset - 12,000 yen
3) Scrounge some used tires and a couple of tubes - 2000 yen
4) Sora groupset - 20,000 yen
5) Cockpit from scrounged parts - 6000 yen

There ya go!

If only I could stretch my budget that far! Still, very useful to give me a guide price for what can be done/how much to spend. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about some of this stuff.

The bike I bought (the first one, I was given) in Japan was Y10,000 new, from shop called Mr Max (who have a shop jingle version of "Oh when the saints" that they are so proud of that it plays on repeat). I wonder if I could get, say, a reasonable 'road' frameset and wheelset, and a cheap bike like that, and just butcher the parts off it? Do you think that would be a waste of time/money? Or would stuff just not be compatible between the two?

Back
Top Bottom