What's new

Greetings from Tsukuba, Ibaraki

Gazelle

Warming-Up
Sep 20, 2014
Hi. Stumbled across this forum recently and thought I'd be an occasional poster. I've recently moved to Tsukuba, Ibaraki, after many years in Kanagawa, and am riding a 2014 Corratec Shape Urban, while very slowly building up my 1988 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB to an all Campy spec.

Go out most days riding with the two kids, who at 5 and 7 years did their first 10+ km. ride last weekend. Fortunately, Tsukuba is proving to be a very bike friendly place to live, and I'm enjoying exploring the sights.

Welcome Gazelle!

1988 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB to an all Campy spec
Goodluck! Old bikes are prettier IMHO... period correct campy or modern campy.
Period correct campy (max 42-24, in my case) is not enough for the mountains :( I had to resort to hacking my setup so that I don't end walking up (or hurting my knee).

Thanks Thomas and rommelgc.
Rommelgc - am trying to keep it period correct but, like you, will probably opt for convenience and put together a 'best of' compilation. Couldn't agree more with your opinion on aesthetics :)

Hi Gazelle (you from NL as well?), Where did you find the good bike roads in Tsukuba? We only found a family-friendly path following the nishi-odori down to hitachi no ushiku JR station. Getting to RinRin road was a bit of a hassle over busy roads (and bridges).

Hello Gazelle, welcome!
I have a Gazelle from 1995, not period correct at all but it's my favourite.

Paths up and around Mt.Tsukuba are really nice - paved or semi-paved. :D

toQDuj - No, not from NL. Nowdays, With two kids in tow much of the time, a family-friendly bike path is good road :) But, not living in the centre of town means I've also got plenty of quiet country roads to hit when I want to stretch my legs.

bird - Greetings to a fellow Gazelle. I find myself constantly torn by the period-correct dilemma in my 'restoration', and am trying to stay true to it while still suiting it to my own needs.

Paths up and around Mt.Tsukuba are really nice - paved or semi-paved. :D

Yes, I was thinking taking the cable car or ropeway to the top and then downhilling. Need to scope paths on foot first, though.
Gazelle: If you find an empty (car-free?) path from the city centre to RinRin, I'll be more than interested! Perhaps it's time to map out family-friendly, separated bike paths in Tsukuba. Something with OpenCycleMap or so?
P.S. For funky bikes in Tsukuba, check out Taspark: http://www.taspark.com
I hope to have my bike up and running soon again, so I can explore by myself on something a little more "throwable" than the recumbent.

B.

Back
Top Bottom