What's new

Greetings, from MTBer in Tokyo

nrtmtb

Warming-Up
Feb 28, 2019
Greetings fellow cyclists,

I've been living in Tokyo for a few years now, but last year dusted off my MTB (started finding time to get away from child rearing) and been doing some riding in the Ome area.

I've been mostly going alone. While the trails are super fun out there, still makes it a bit hard to find the motivation to hop on the train with bike in the early morning, especially in less than ideal conditions.

I was hoping some fellow MTBers around here would be interested in setting up some weekend rides over that way (or anywhere else in reasonable proximity of Tokyo). I wouldn't be too worried about pace, mostly chill, but wouldn't be sticking to beginner level trails either.

Let me know if your game, or already have something setup and could add another rider.

Cheers!
Arik

If you can wake up early....
We ride in the Zushi area most Saturday mornings. In the summer, we start wickedly early to beat the hikers & heat.
In the winter months, a 7am start is a late start, but if people are traveling we will do it from time to time.
On our routes, we do have times where we pass train stations, so there is a chance to meet us mid ride.

Rides are posted typically on our facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mtbgaijin

If you can wake up early....
We ride in the Zushi area most Saturday mornings. In the summer, we start wickedly early to beat the hikers & heat.
In the winter months, a 7am start is a late start, but if people are traveling we will do it from time to time.
On our routes, we do have times where we pass train stations, so there is a chance to meet us mid ride.

Rides are posted typically on our facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mtbgaijin

Great, thanks. If 7am is late, then I would generally have a tough time joining at the beginning - that's basically the first train for me (normally I might leave my place at 7...) I'll check out your page and see about joining an upcoming ride to see how it goes, though!

Greetings fellow cyclists,

I've been living in Tokyo for a few years now, but last year dusted off my MTB (started finding time to get away from child rearing) and been doing some riding in the Ome area.

I've been mostly going alone. While the trails are super fun out there, still makes it a bit hard to find the motivation to hop on the train with bike in the early morning, especially in less than ideal conditions.

I was hoping some fellow MTBers around here would be interested in setting up some weekend rides over that way (or anywhere else in reasonable proximity of Tokyo). I wouldn't be too worried about pace, mostly chill, but wouldn't be sticking to beginner level trails either.

Let me know if your game, or already have something setup and could add another rider.

Cheers!
Arik

I'd love to hear what you found out about group MTB rides andwill check the FB links posted in the other replies. How far is Ome from NW Tokyo suburbs?

Ome Maze is ridden often by some guys on the FB group.
I have yet to hit that area since it is several hours for me and I would rather ride elsewhere if traveling that far.
Please note Japan is different - we do not have very many MTB Specific trails. Most all is shared and not all accept MTBs.
If possible, please find someone who knows the area you want to ride and ask them to show you around.
if that can't show you around, ask if there are any specific rules to the trail.
We have trials here that cross private property. The own allows us to cross the land, but we have to walk.
Not following the rules could lead to it being closed again. Obviously not what anyone wants.

Back
Top Bottom