What's new

Greetings from Kanagawa!

Dwalsh

Cruising
Sep 30, 2013
I'm new to cycling in Japan and live in Sagamihara, Kanagawa! I was hoping a dew of you may be able to give me some info on great rides to take/ general bike maps for the Kanto region!
I'm also looking for a few people to ride with ( I'm just getting into road cycling so I'm a little slow and out of shape)

Thanks for your help,
Dwalsh

Grant posted a good list.

Yabitsu pass is great if you are ready to do some climbing and I just enjoy this ride (North to South).

Im just down the road from you (route16) and Sagamihara is a great launch site for getting out in to the wilds.

Hi Dwalsh, welcome to TCC. As you have gathered from the above posts, you are in a great place to have a base for riding. Enjoy!

GrantT,
Thank you for the great link! This is going to help me out greatly!

Bloaker,
How steep is Yabitsu? I'm really just getting into road cycling and don't want to overdue it too soon.

FarEast,
I'm only about .5km from route 16 ( about 2Km from machida), which parts do you recommend? I noticed it can get very busy!

Doug3,
Thank you for the welcoming!

Thank you all for your help, I'm really happy to have joined TCC, the user base is very friendly and helpful! Hope to run into you when I'm out cycling!

Yabitsu North is not too steep, just lasts a while.
Yabitsu south is steep and for someone with my fitness a real challenge.

On the ride up, there seems to be a lot of places you could go off and explore a bit.

Actually, when you get to the big lake, there seems to be a lot of roads you could just go an explore while you get your legs under you.
I am on the mend from a knee injury - so when i get back riding, I will be off pace for a bit. I can try to let you know when I will be out that way just riding new roads while getting my fitness back

Yabitsu from the North is not that steep like bloaker says. From my one experience it goes through some dense forest and tends to stay wet. As it doesn't get much direct sunlight the route might feel quite cold at this time of year. Good fun though.

Great, I'm definitely going to give Yabitsu north a try and see how it goes. Thanks!

It was a cold ride on the way back down. Really enjoyable though and the views are fantastic!
I look forward to doing it in the summer next year when it's a bit warmer!

I look forward to doing it in the summer next year when it's a bit warmer!

Perhaps this will be your first summer in Japan?

You'll be cooked! :D You'll appreciate every bit of shade you can get under the foliage on the ride up.

I did a Takao-Yabitsu ride on Aug 31 and according to my Garmin 500 it got as high as 43 C, but from comparing to thermometers installed by the roadside in various places I have reason to believe that my Garmin typically over-reads by as much as 4 C. More likely it was a mere 39 C.

Spring and autumn are really nice for cycling here and winter is OK if you're dressed properly. Even the summer is survivable if you drink enough and don't push too hard. Early and late rides are good too.

Nice one. I can recommend the Doshi Michi route for great views on a clear day too (skip the first hill though). The first half is hard work, but the second half is a breeze. Navigation is as easy as it gets.

Back
Top Bottom