What's new

Greetings from Germany

Denilzon

Warming-Up
Nov 9, 2011
Hello everybody.

My name is Dennis and I'm from Aken in Germany. I will start a six months internship in Yokohama beginning next February. As an avid cyclist and amateur racer I wonder how the cycling and the racing in Japan is, especially in the greater Tokyo area, since I plan on taking my bike along, so I might explore the country from the saddle of my bike, too.
Hopefully I can tag along on your group rides and profit from your knowledge of the region and riding on the "wrong" side of the road proves not too confusing for me. :D
My steed is an alloy frame from the local bike shop equipped with Italian chic, but maybe I can upgrade the frame soon, and I've been suffering for three years at races in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands.
And I love ice cream and chocolate, which is sometimes quite counterproductive for my racing weight, especially around Christmas. :eek:

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the forum. February is a great month to start exploring Japan, as many of us are engaged into long slow flattish rides at this time. Unfortunately, it is too dangerous to go into the mountains in Feb, which is one of Japan's best features.

Keep an eye on the forum for invitations and feel free to join!

Dennis, you will like it here!:)

My name is Dennis and I'm from Aken in Germany. I

Hi Dennis, welcome to the forum. I studied in Aachen some years back (guess you mean Aachen and not Aken :) ) but didn't do any serious cycling that time, except going to the cafeteria :bike:. I did racing as U17/U19, some in Benelux. What club and class in Aachen are you racing for?
Hope to see you on the road then.

Hey... I'm in Yokohama also plenty of great riding in these parts!

Thank you for the welcome.

@malte: Yes, I mean Aachen. I, too, am here for my studies. But when speaking English I somehow always end up using the Dutch spelling. Usually it proves less confusing. Didn't know about the other town. :warau:
I race for a fairly young local club, the RSV Aachen, and I got promoted to Elite B this year.

Dennis, you will like it here!
I really hope so. I'm really excited about this "adventure" and really looking forward to it.

Oh and be prepared for MOUNTAINS! not very common around your parts in Germany :D

There are no MOUNTAINS, but it can be pretty hilly, maybe similar to Boso or Miura.

Oh and be prepared for MOUNTAINS!
That is a quite thrilling prospect. I've only been once in the mountains, the Alps, so far. But to be fair, if one wants, one can do some really serious climbing here as well, one just has to ride into the Eifel or the Ardennes. But I admit it is hard to find climbs longer than 5 km, although they usually make up for that in steepness. :D

Welcome/Willkommen!

February is the peak/end of what passes for winter in the Kanto area (you're likely to see about three days of snow then ;) ). Being on the same latitude as the north coast of Africa has some advantages.

I lived in Yokohama (Aobadai) for 10 years, now in Setagaya, Tokyo.

Unfortunately, it is too dangerous to go into the mountains in Feb, which is one of Japan's best features.

Dangerous?? Ah - you mean because of the pollen;), but the season actually starts in earnest only in March.

There is really only one or two weekends a year when there has been so much snow over night that I have not ventured into the mountains with my road bike (though recently I still did with my cyclocross). The main mountain roads are basically passable all year round, at least in the vicinity of Tokyo. Most rindos are too, for most of the time, although most of them are officially closed. The only rindos that keeps a lot of snow for a long time are the ones around Kaminikkawa, and that's because this is particularly high up (~1,600m).

Back
Top Bottom