What's new

Greetings Everyone!

sakura

Cruising
May 15, 2009
I've been living in Tokyo for about a year now but have only recently found the time to get myself out on the bike to do some serious riding. In the past few years I've just rode to maintain some resemblance of form since my days as an amateur and collegiate cyclist.

I've been trying to find some decent roads to ride / hills to climb around where I live on the East side of Tokyo but it seems I can't go 100m without hitting a stoplight or dealing with bottleneck traffic. I'm not keen to the idea of bagging my bike and riding the train, however I'm not sure there are many other options to get out of Tokyo without riding 2 hours first.

In any case, I'd like to meet up with some of you guys for a training ride and will monitor the posts for future rides!

PK

Welcome to the forum PK!
I also live on the east side of Tokyo near Ginza and usually find myself on the Arakawa River or Oi Futo on the weekends. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're interested in a joint ride one of these days!

Welcome!

I've been trying to find some decent roads to ride / hills to climb around where I live on the East side of Tokyo but it seems I can't go 100m without hitting a stoplight or dealing with bottleneck traffic. I'm not keen to the idea of bagging my bike and riding the train, however I'm not sure there are many other options to get out of Tokyo without riding 2 hours first.

The Tokyo guys know more about this, but while there's a lot of great riding in Kanto, you do have to get out of the city first, either by train or 2 or so hours by bike... The river routes are good for a quick ride or to get out of the city inland (Arakawa, Edogawa, Tamagawa). Don't know how far east you are, but the Tone or Hanami-kawa (out of Makuhari) might also be in striking distance.

East side you won't find any big climbs, although it gets very up-and-down in the Chiba peninsula. Directly east and north is very flat, apart from Mt. Tsukuba. West side is where the big hills are.

Thanks for the feedback!

Nynihonjin,

I'm out in Edogawa-ku but the Arakawa River is not far. I've made it out to Oifuto to watch the Tour of Japan a few times, but haven't made the trip by bike. From what I've read on this BBS, Oifuto is a popular training ground on the weekends. I will definitely drop you a line the first time I head out there!

Phil,

Welcome!

The Tokyo guys know more about this, but while there's a lot of great riding in Kanto, you do have to get out of the city first, either by train or 2 or so hours by bike...

East side you won't find any big climbs, although it gets very up-and-down in the Chiba peninsula. Directly east and north is very flat, apart from Mt. Tsukuba. West side is where the big hills are.

I was afraid that would be the case. I guess I'll have to go buy a bike bag after all. Sigh… Thanks for suggesting the Tone and Hanami-kawa. Although the Tone is a bit far for me right now, it looks like the Hanami-kawa is doable. I'll see if I can integrate it into my next ride!

Welcome to the forum PK!
I also live on the east side of Tokyo near Ginza and usually find myself on the Arakawa River or Oi Futo on the weekends. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're interested in a joint ride one of these days!

hi nynihonjin..

let's arrange for a ride this Sunday!:cool:

cheers

I should be up for a ride on Sunday just as long as the weather holds out.:bike:

Back
Top Bottom