What's new

Greetings again! 再びの自己紹介です。

Aphex

Cruising
Nov 21, 2006
Heyall, I introduced myself a little prematurely last year. I have now touched down in Japan as of last week, though nowhere near Tokyo. I guess that makes me a gatecrasher - which is just how I like it. :p

I am based in Himeji so may not get to ride with you guys for a while. Though if I see a tour that really takes my fancy I might just bag up my bike and take the shinkansen up to town. :)

For the last six months I have mainly been riding cross-country but have a touring bike for the open road. I am looking forward to camping and touring.

For my first tour I will ride north from Himeji till I hit the Sea of Japan. I bought a motorbike touring map which looks OK for roadie use, (it even lists onsen and combini - how Japanese). If any of you luverly people are based down this way and wanna ride this with me then lemme know. I will do this sometime after my tourer and main bike kit arrives around 20th May.

I also wanna explore the local hills for singletrack and XC. I have already found some a couple of hundred metres from my home, there is even some very challanging downhill which leads to a temple and koban. :eek: I will not attempt this until my knobbly tyres and helmet arrive from the UK by sea. Again, if anyone is up for joining in, then lemme know, just remember I am a coward and don`t do hardcore downhill and freeride. I am also a fat bugger, so slow up the hills. :eek:

For the time-being I am exploring the local area on my old commute bike ( a sorta hybrid), might try riding up Route 2 to Kobe or even Osaka one day soon, again happy to have joinees for this.

I see there is a bike/outdoors shop in Kobe, which runs a club called Okeedokee Slow Style (now that`s my style!), but if anyone else knows some like-minded people I can join up with out here in the stix then I`d love to hear.

そのうち皆さんとお会いすることが楽しみです。よろしく!

Yokoso!

Welcome to TCC.:)

I`ve been to Himeji a couple of times (great castle).

I`ll be biking to Yokohama next week, but the closest I`ll be getting to you is Wakayama and then proceeding south.

Hello Phil

Going South from Wakayama? Won`t you run out of south quite quickly? Will you actually cycle to Wakayama from Yokohama? Anyway if I can join around Wakayama that would be cool.

Wakayama-Yokohama

Hello Phil

Going South from Wakayama? Won`t you run out of south quite quickly? Will you actually cycle to Wakayama from Yokohama? Anyway if I can join around Wakayama that would be cool.

Initially the heading will be south along the coast vice heading northeast inland. :D

Looks my departure date has shifted to 21 May from Tokyo, which will equate to a 22 May arrival at Tokushima. I`ll probably arrive in Wakayama by the 南海ferry from Tokushima on 22 May. Does this fit your schedule?

Could well fit my schedule. Main bikes likely to arrive on 20th, but even current bike is configured for road, only problem is no carrying rack (suspended front forks and all-round disk brakes mean I need the type that only attaches to the saddle tube). Therefore would only join you for one day if shipment is delayed.

I currently don`t have a job, so a lot would depend on developments in that area. For some strange reason my wife seems to attach particular importance to this job thing, dunno why. Dunno how much of the trip I can join you for either, probabaly not all, though having said that my Mum lives in Kawasaki and I haven`t been to see her since arriving in Japan.... two birds one stone perhaps?

Keep in touch and lemme know how long you plan this stretch to take.

Employment and Bike Treks

I currently don`t have a job, so a lot would depend on developments in that area. For some strange reason my wife seems to attach particular importance to this job thing, dunno why.

DUDE!! Don`t I know it! The Wife Chama is all over me about getting a full timer! "How can I do these exciting bike adventures with a full time job?" falls upon deaf ears!

I must delay my departure date `cause my previous employers want me to work nights starting tomorrow through the 19th - no problem.

Any amount of time you can ride is fine - I`ll keep you posted.:bike3:

Am becoming a little concerned about the onset of Tsuyu:rain:,
but I have biked in the driving rain before.

Thanks Phil, keep me informed, meanwhile I will try to keep riding and not let baseline fitness go to pot. Sorry to hear you are working nights, I did that for six months once in UK, very tiring.

Today looks a bit typhoony down here in Himeji, I wouldn`t call myself a fairweather cyclist but like most people I wouldn`t choose to ride in the driving rain either. Can`t understand why the Japanese seem to think they have four seasons in this country when they clearly have five including tsuyu.

Back
Top Bottom