What's new

Greeting from a scot in Tokyo

Joepineapples

Cruising
Sep 22, 2009
Hi Guys and Gals

long time lurker decided to final post something

Been in Tokyo for 10 years this year and decided it's high time to get some of the lard off
Used to ride in the UK but just light biking canal paths etc

looking to ride to work in the short term then see what takes me :)

Rob

Welcome to TCC Rob,

Riding to work is a great way to get back in to riding and also take it to the next step, it's what I started to do June this year to get back in to competitive cycling after a 3 year injury break.

I think it's very important to choose the route that you take to work and also to take it in steps. I live in Yokohama and commute to Tokyo everyday which is a 70km round trip for me. But I started by riding the 13km from my house to Yokohama central station for the first few months, then I switched to riding further up the Tokyu Toyoko Line. Builds up the stamina gradually and allows you to get a full day's work in without falling asleep at your desk.

Also I round my original route to work did nothing for me, Route 1 and 15 is very flat and you're basically stopping and starting every 300 meters due to traffic lights. Now I ride Route 246 which has long sections without lights and has some nice climbs and descents to break up the ride and is doing wonders for the gut!

Thanks.

Yes the route is important but I have little option to take the route 316 and then the 304 to Toyosu (it's about 12Km from my home)
The 316 has me a little worried as it's seems to be filled with large lorries and dumper trucks with taxis and those damm Suicidal scooters

The only save is that I work the early shift and it's a 7:30am start, so the traffic won't as bad in the morning I hope !!

Think I have decided on a SCOTT Sub30 as my bike

Rob

Your description suggests you live just south of Shinagawa. Nice route from there around the waterfront on a Sunday morning. But that doesn't help you much with weekday commuting. See the Super Looper if you want to take the long way home sometime.

Why oh why oh why didn't they build a nice cycle lane across the Rainbow Bridge!?

Good luck with the shopping and staying alive.

--Mike--

@ FarEast - I am in awe of your 70km round trip. I (ab)use R246 too, but only get 40km a day. Should move back to Nagatsuda, maybe...

Thanks for the route .. it looks interesting as it avoids some of my route I was worried about esp. about the fish market as well - (don't think I'm ready for 135Km tho )
I live in Tennozu Isle close to the JAL building and I'm looking forward to a early Sunday bike before the kids are up ;)

Disappointed about Rainbow Bridge too .. you can't even walk your bike across it seems :mad:- also road from Rainbow bridge to Toyosu is full of patches, potholes and crazy minivan drivers
Mind you if they did add a cycle lane someone would park there :p

Rob

I am in awe of your 70km round trip. I (ab)use R246 too, but only get 40km a day. Should move back to Nagatsuda, maybe...

Mike, what times do you commute In? I join the 246 over at Ichigo around 8:20am ish and then basically follow it all the way in to Akasaka arriving around 9:20 ish depending on demon taxi drivers, red lights and Buses at ramming speed.

Back
Top Bottom