What's new

Race Great Miyagi Crit Race (クリテリウムみやぎ大会)

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
I have entered my first crit race, the Miyagi Tai Kai. Is anyone else going to be there? I'd be happy to meet up if anyone else is going to be there. I'll be starting in the Master's 35+ category.

Any advice for a first-time crit racer? I should be relatively fit in terms of base fitness, although I am not much of a sprinter. But I am bigger than the average Japanese bear, so I should have an advantage on the flats.

watch this channel

brake as little as possible,
stay towards the front but out of the wind as much as possible,
save your energy as much as possible, while everyone else is going crazy. (if they are braking and then sprinting out of corners, hang back and just ride smoothly from corner to corner) you'll have more pop in your legs for the last laps that way.
pretend you don't understand Japanese and take really short pulls, (if possible on the downhills or tailwind sections) and sit in, you may get shouted at but fock em, this is racing.

but as it's your first crit, try and enjoy it as much as possible. What bike are you racing on?

Building on the above good advice, one small tip/opinion is that it is beneficial to be comfortable on the drops for any fast corners, hard accelerations or chance of bumping other riders. This means body still balanced and all muscles firing (not becoming quad dominant). Recent trend of slammed stems means some riders can't use the drops effectively.

Also try to maintain good breathing. Oh and make sure you are warmed up. But these are quire basic points...

Otherwise enjoy :)

Plan your morning schedule back from the start time < warm up< registration < pinning numbers < travel < breakfast < get up < go to bed etc.

Watch videos of the race while riding your trainer. Simulate the demands of the race while watching it. Particularly accelerations out of corners. Also memorize the course and look for key points. eg. where you can sit in, where you need to move up, tricky corners etc. Making written notes works for me.

On the day recco the course thoroughly. One big mistake is to do laps at cruising speed. Practice the key points you have already identified at race speed. If this is a corner, practice when to brake, the best line to take, the gear to be in for sprinting out of the corner etc.

Just a few things off the top of my head!

Andy

Last edited:
@andywood
My plan was to bike to the venue, about 48 km one way according to Google maps. Has that been an issue? The race is not long, 22.8 km, so I reckon it'll take 35–45 minutes. I thought about strategy, I should be one of the heaviest riders, and probably have good absolute power. I'm not a good sprinter, but have good 5-minute power (I managed 130 % FTP for 4:30–5:00 on two outdoor rides, once with a semi-sprint and then settling in, the other one was more steady state).
What bike are you racing on?
An aero road bike, a 3T Strada. The only thing I am worried about equipment-wise is crashing it 😅

, I should be one of the heaviest riders, and probably have good absolute power. I'm not a good sprinter, but have good 5-minute power (I managed 130 % FTP for 4:30–5:00 on two outdoor rides, once with a semi-sprint and then settling in, the other one was more steady state).

Just attack from the gun :cool:

My plan was to bike to the venue, about 48 km one way according to Google maps. Has that been an issue? The race is not long, 22.8 km, so I reckon it'll take 35–45 minutes. I thought about strategy, I should be one of the heaviest riders, and probably have good absolute power. I'm not a good sprinter, but have good 5-minute power (I managed 130 % FTP for 4:30–5:00 on two outdoor rides, once with a semi-sprint and then settling in, the other one was more steady state).

An aero road bike, a 3T Strada. The only thing I am worried about equipment-wise is crashing it 😅that

On that bike I'd be sitting in until just before the last lap. Look like you are breathing through your eye lids and ready to get dropped.
if there is a downhill or tailwind take off on it and make them chase you to the finish, chances are no one will want to empty the tank chasing you until it"s too late.
pre ride the course as Andy said and choose the best lines. watch the wind and don't take off into it.

I have done this race twice. One was years ago before I was trained (I gave up after one lap). Second was last year. I am signed up for it this month.

It's more or less flat except for one downhill section, one short hill, and the finish is slightly uphill. The biggest issue is that most of the course is restricted to one lane in order to allow traffic to flow in the opposite direction. The race will probably be quite slow (around 40 km/h) except for the intermediate sprint and the finish. It can be somewhat dangerous because of the course, though, so it's "best to treat it like a practice race" according to my friend.

With your JCBF experience, though, this race should not be an issue. E3 is much more dangerous. LOL.
There are plenty of videos on YouTube (I appear in a few) if you want to check out the course and the racing.

I can't believe you haven't already done this race, given that you're local. Haha.

The official English name of the race is actually Criterium Miyagi....according to the flyer and the commemorative towels.

Last edited:
Good luck!
We have a university crit near us. The area is sleepy inaka roads, and if riding around there, out of the blue you hit Strava segments with hundreds of names with superfast times. A nondescript 1.8km climb where people are knocking out six watts a kilo. The local roadies out training, and superkeen folks on Adam Cobain's tours on the other segments nearby aren't in the top 300.

I have done this race twice. One was years ago before I was trained (I gave up after one lap). Second was last year. I am signed up for it this month.
Well, if you are signed up for the 18th, I guess we'll see and race each other.
It's more or less flat except for one downhill section, one short hill, and the finish is slightly uphill. The biggest issue is that most of the course is restricted to one lane in order to allow traffic to flow in the opposite direction. The race will probably be quite slow (around 40 km/h) except for the intermediate sprint and the finish. It can be somewhat dangerous because of the course, though, so it's "best to treat it like a practice race" according to my friend.
Thanks for the intel. I'll definitely have a look at youtube videos in advance.
I can't believe you haven't already done this race, given that you're local. Haha.
Yeah, I'll remedy that in two weeks.
The official English name of the race is actually Criterium Miyagi....according to the flyer and the commemorative towels.
I see. For some reason they also wrote Miyagi in hiragana on the website, not sure why.

Thanks for the intel. I'll definitely have a look at youtube videos in advance.

Yeah, I'll remedy that in two weeks.

I see. For some reason they also wrote Miyagi in hiragana on the website, not sure why.
That's just the name of the race... no idea why they chose hiragana.

We can also race with each other … and have food afterwards!

By the way, when will you arrive? The night before or the morning of? The website says I should arrive no later than an hour before the race (at 8:30, which means 7:30). Is that doable? I'd have to get up early, but I can make it.

Trainerroad has lots of videos on crit strategy. Basically do as little work as possible, do your best to assess if the break will stick.

We can also race with each other … and have food afterwards!

By the way, when will you arrive? The night before or the morning of? The website says I should arrive no later than an hour before the race (at 8:30, which means 7:30). Is that doable? I'd have to get up early, but I can make it.
I might just go ahead and get a hotel so I don't have to get up so early as I will be in Fukushima City the day before. You should probably just drive! Haha.

I have entered my first crit race, the Miyagi Tai Kai. Is anyone else going to be there? I'd be happy to meet up if anyone else is going to be there. I'll be starting in the Master's 35+ category.

Any advice for a first-time crit racer? I should be relatively fit in terms of base fitness, although I am not much of a sprinter. But I am bigger than the average Japanese bear, so I should have an advantage on the flats.
As a former crit racer I highly recommend staying near the front no more than 5-10 bikes in front of you. And even closer if you can. That way you increase your chances of avoiding a crash.

As a former crit racer I highly recommend staying near the front no more than 5-10 bikes in front of you. And even closer if you can. That way you increase your chances of avoiding a crash.
Thanks for the advice. I'm a bit concerned about crashing, especially with my new bike and all 😅

Back
Top Bottom