What's new

Race Gran Fondo World Championships 2016

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
On my way to Tokyo now, I'll fly out to Perth tonight to take part in the Gran Fondo World Championships.

Thursday is a TT on Rottnest Island.

Friday is a National Team Relay in the city centre.

Sunday is my main target, the 150 km Road Race.

This is my Performance Management Chart in Training Peaks.

_20160828_114226.JPG

The blue line is fitness.

The pink line is fatigue.

The yellow line is the balance between fitness and fatigue, Training Stress Balance. In other words my performance level.

TSB is on course to be at its highest level yet by next Sunday's road race.

As coach @Doug3 says, "It looks like you've been training for two years with this race in mind!"

I always say cycling is 50% physical, 50% mental.

So it's data like this that boosts confidence before the event.

After 2 hard blocks of training I did a taper last week.

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2016/08/australia-taper.html

Looking forward to a bit of action Down Under!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

14212758_10154625478672223_5629128130407700754_n.jpg

Hey @leicaman I got my name in the Oldham Chron! And it wasn't even in the drunken and disorderly section!

Cracking week in Fremantle WA. Didn't know the Aussies made such good beer!

Usual race report here:

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2016/09/gran-fondo-world-championships.html

Andy

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Top stuff mate! Great read as always. I'm glad it all went well for you.

That would've been a tough gig. There are a lot of hard T-nucs in those races, especially the Aussie ones.
Chapeaux to you sir, for what is a great result/life experience in itself!

Really enjoyed your write up mate. And what with you featuring in the Cron, you would be a superstar if you went into Scruples or Henry Afrikas (if they were still there) ;)

Must be totally different tactics in that kind of race compared to the team controlled peleton we see on TV these days.

@theBlob you might be the only one who reads them so I write them with you in mind!

@Heath Yes you Aussies are tough nuts indeed. Sport is like a religeon down there.

Next year's World Champs are in Albi in the south of France.

Qualification will be on the fantastic Niseko course.

Get on it!

Andy

Really enjoyed your write up mate. And what with you featuring in the Cron, you would be a superstar if you went into Scruples or Henry Afrikas (if they were still there) ;)

Must be totally different tactics in that kind of race compared to the team controlled peleton we see on TV these days.

Henry Afrika's on a Wednesday night! Those were the days!

Every been to Tokyo Project? It's Tokyo mate, but not as we know it!

Yeah, difficult to read the race. Maybe I should have rode more aggressively. But everyone has a story to tell apart from the winner!

Andy

@andywood I don't exactly know what division you rode in, but judging by your blog's race description, the guy who won it was a Tasmanian (state only) expat who started cycling at the age of 34 (WTF!) and had lived in W.A. for umpteenth years before the race.
He knew the course very well and jumped away early to join the break.
He also knew that the final Ks were on winding roads, and as such jumped the breakaway pack 20ks out of town to take a victory with failing legs on sharp corners.
Who could've predicted that!
Race strategy is a tough gig indeed.

@andywood I don't exactly know what division you rode in, but judging by your blog's race description, the guy who won it was a Tasmanian (state only) expat who started cycling at the age of 34 (WTF!) and had lived in W.A. for umpteenth years before the race.
He knew the course very well and jumped away early to join the break.
He also knew that the final Ks were on winding roads, and as such jumped the breakaway pack 20ks out of town to take a victory with failing legs on sharp corners.
Who could've predicted that!
Race strategy is a tough gig indeed.

My race (40 to 45) was won by Canadian national champion Jean Michael. He also came 5th in the TT on a regular road bike.

Danny Clark was flying the flag for Tasmania winning his age group in the RR and TT. He's one mean looking dude!

The tactics are difficult. We reccied the course but the Aussies who knew it inside out had a big advantage. In hindsight there are a few things I would have done differently.

But there's no time for regrets in bike racing!

Are you doing Motegi at the start of November? I'm thinking of finishing the season there.

Andy

@andywood Yeah, there's no stopping Danny.
I raced against him from the scratch mark (handicaped racing in Aus. :confused: [fuck that backward shit, it is for the dogs]) in my absolute prime just prior to his return from Europe racing for Panasonic in various road races/crits (the Kellog's Series) etc, and he smoked me on 3 occasions. The guy is just unbeatable.
To tell you the truth, I was just happy to race with him, as he was and still is a bloody legend.

Not sure when my next race will be, as it's always raining here and hard to get the appropriate training in.
My next race will most likely be outside Japan.

Back
Top Bottom