What's new

Graeme Obree - Training Manual

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
If anyone is interested, Graeme Obree has brought out a training manual. Trouble is, only available from his website and costs UK 39.81 to Japan:
http://www.obree.com/store.php

There are some excerpts here:-
How to pedal -
http://dailycycle.co.uk/post/2011/12/01/How-to-pedal-e28093-by-Graeme-Obree.aspx
How to breathe -
http://dailycycle.co.uk/post/2011/11/23/A-master-class-in-Breathing-from-Graeme-Obree.aspx

obree_training_manual_front.jpg

obree_training_manual_back.jpg

I have huge respect for Graeme. And for certain he was very innovative in his pursuit (literally) of optimum aerodynamics and efficient riding. However, just reading the excerpts, especially about saddle position and pedaling, will open up quite a field for debate and discussion.

Tim agreed, also I take these ex-professionals training manuals with a pinch of salt. What may have worked for him might not work for you and its the guys that trained the successful who's notes, manuals and ideaology I would like access to.

The Cyclists Training Bible is a perfect example of this, Joe Friel takes in to account every type of rider and walks you through a program for YOU.

He also points out that working with a coach is essential as its the trained professionals that can spot when you are getting good at doing the wrong thing or is able to push your limits that little harder.

Tim agreed, also I take these ex-professionals training manuals with a pinch of salt. What may have worked for him might not work for you and its the guys that trained the successful who's notes, manuals and ideaology I would like access to.

Agreed, but things which do not follow `perceived wisdom` have their value in terms of re-thinking/re-evaluating why you do what you do.

True and as a pofessional coach I read an awful lot of stuff other people are doing. I'm not closed off to learning new things or trying out new ideas.

I recently sat a webinar on sports nutrition - I wasn't a beleiver in what the Dr. was talking about but was very interested to know more about it.

Anyway gave it a try on myself and was very impressed with the results - It might not work with everyone and haaving an indepth knowledge of sports nutrition helped me weed out the irreleevant stuff that I knew already didn't work for me - but like I said the more you know the more you have to work with.

Also when I buy training manuals or sit webinars and attend physical seminars I will attend or read up on other peoples works to see what they are saying, then draw my conclusions from all the information rather than just have one person preaching to me.

It saves me and my athletes I work with a lot of time and money!

Love the Obree book and film, so would love to check out the book too. I think the thing to take away from his story is not necessarily the training methods which worked well for him but how he challenged established ideas about everything from kit to nutrition to training. He found out what worked best for him and broke the world record while on the dole and on a diet of jam sandwiches and water.....

The one technique of his I do like is the "water clock"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzPY03vYGug

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

So,,, one has to wonder. Was the hydration or the stretching that really prepped him? My guess is that it was the hydration. The night before the night is where sleep and stretching really mean something. Day before is nothing except adrenaline - so,if you can hydrate, you are set!

Tim,

I use this technique for hydration. I'm lucky as I can get to sleep again easily. I believe it works (although it challenges the theory that hydration begins in the week prior to an event). It drives my wife nuts though as I get up and try to find the loo in the dark....

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Good hydration is a no regret (other than for the toilet runs). It helps to keep your kidneys healthy. Nothing worse than suffering kidney stones or even losing your kidney function earlier than necessary.

Back
Top Bottom