What's new

GPS Trackers

Gunjira

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2009
In the final stages of assembling a superbike, now looking to get extra security measures. First had a look at the spot system, that is available now and a proven solution. Because it uses regular batteries and is built to last, a bulky package, but still being used by cyclists, for example at Tour Divide.

Yesterday I came upon a crowd funded pet tracker, that seems ideal. 30g, usb charged batteries lasting a week. Strap it to the bike,
setup geofencing alerts and you know when and where your bike is moved. If it's a Vodafone m2m gsm contract, it should cover Japan as well, so I put 149$ in.

http://link.indiegogo.com/533e424c17ffdeb83525f1cd542cb0619759109e5e8b5dad/VCiV3cPoqMbRyQ48A6251

For lack of better knowledge and the lost cat story of the campaign founder ;)

Still going to put it in the steerer post.

For lack of better knowledge and the lost cat story of the campaign founder ;)

Still going to put it in the steerer post.

Would it not be better in the main frame? If you had to lose one part, then the cheapest bit of the two frameset parts would be best to go right?

Problem is signal dampening, especially as it's stainless steel frame.

Ah right. Cool. Looking forward to seeing what you decide on in the end. Was thinking about getting one myself, after having to resort to extreme violence after catching a couple of losers trying to rob my rig a while back.

Ah right. Cool. Looking forward to seeing what you decide on in the end. Was thinking about getting one myself, after having to resort to extreme violence after catching a couple of losers trying to rob my rig a while back.
More details please!

This was a while back. Without incriminating myself...

Went into combini with bike locked up outside.
Came out after being inside for a few seconds.
Orange haired twerps outside fiddling with the lock.
Two against one. One won.

Anyway, yeah, back on topic, GPS trackers are a really good idea I reckon.

@TCC You can be the enforcer and I will forward any alerts to you.

It will be funny when this eventually happens for the first time and it goes viral: bike is stolen, tracker activated and thief's position piped to social media. Real scavenger hunt.

With this pet tracker (and the other bike focused ones) is there actually coverage in Japan?

YTJjaAN.gif

Usually coverage is global nowadays. Some trackers leave it to users to put in sim-cards for their country, others do so called m2m contracts with network providers. The later is usually global, e.g. Amazon kindle whispersync or Sony PSP vita.

For this one they say they will use Vodafone, who have docomo as a m2m partner in Japan, so it "should" work here as well. No guarantees with crowdfunding though, as all of that might still change.

Serious Question - When bikes are stolen, are they usually from a solo rider?

I am usually with a group when riding lengths that require a stop. Usually at least one person doesn't need anything, but sometimes we all go inside.
We have yet to have a problem (and hope never to have one)
Granted, I am not in Tokyo, but in Miura or along the beach to Odawara...

@bloaker, I have never heard (online or offline) of any bike theft on a group ride. Has anybody else?

The most commonly stolen bikes are mamachari. The most common motive is that the criminal is too lazy to walk home from the station late at night.

Hybrid and road bikes get stolen too, sometimes to sell them for parts, but I think you're unlikely to encounter those kind of bike thieves out in Miura or Okutama. They're more of a problem in Roppongi, Shinjuku or Shibuya.

Having said that, I always carry a lock and use it even on group rides, but more out of habit than actual concern.

Friend had a bike stolen on a group ride when they stopped at th 7-11 next to Y's on the Tamagawa. Guess it happens.

Anyone here actually purchased one of the previously mentioned GPS trackers? This is a really good idea and I'm thinking of picking one up but had a difficult time finding actual reviews online

F'd up world. Posted Friday, current bike gets stolen Tuesday. Will post details later

Back
Top Bottom