What's new

GPS Rant

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
Given that nearly every cyclist has a GPS enabled computer or access to iPhone, PC, etc, WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT FOR ORGANIZERS TO INCLUDE THE LATLON OF THEIR FRIGGIN EVENT!!??

And the same goes for the Cycling stores! I am sick and tired of wading through inaccurate 'maps' trying to find out EXACTLY where a particular event is located. It's just so much easier to provide a simple lat-lon and then program it directly or look up on an number of Internet (or even chart) maps.

the_important_field.png

Why are maps in Japan so rubbish!?!? Well, apart from real ones in map books...

It's so frustrating when you are lost to find a big sign with squiggly roads and cartoon characters all over it. And then, like Tim says, the maps to events... these usually look like a cross between a London Underground map and a electricity circuit diagram.....

Oh we love a rant!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

AARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHH !!!!! AND PLEEEEZE - CAN ANYONE IN JAPAN POINT "NORTH" UP ON THEIR G*+)'&$M MAPS!

There is a little known service in Japan called GMAP - they make the best 'location' maps around. EVERY EVENT coordinator should use GMAP!

http://gmap.jp/gmap/

I'm going to tell the owner of GMAP to start including Lat-Lat into the data and then generate a set of GMPAS for popular cycling event and rendezvous points.

Because cartography is just an uncivilized form of manga, not a science.

Don't believe me? This is from the home page of the Japan Cartographer's Association

492am1.jpg

Contrast with the International Cartographic Association map of the month.

Yeah, I am totally with you all on this.

Why they don't all just use Google maps is beyond me.

Makes perfect sense to me.....but then again I can nut speel.

AARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHH !!!!! AND PLEEEEZE - CAN ANYONE IN JAPAN POINT "NORTH" UP ON THEIR G*+)'&$M MAPS!

Yes, this one drives me nuts too! I spend more time trying to figure out which way is north than actually plotting my route.

Although I've discovered that most (but not all) of the maps you see in public places are tailor made for that location and if you just took the map off the wall and laid it down in front of you, that is it's orientation...but like I said, doesn't always work.

Given that nearly every cyclist has a GPS enabled computer or access to iPhone, PC, etc, WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT FOR ORGANIZERS TO INCLUDE THE LATLON OF THEIR FRIGGIN EVENT!!??

Japan is a small place. They just assume that if they name the place, everyone will know where it is...same as last year, and the year before that.

Getting coordinates for a particular location takes some doing...it's not a one-click affair, but I agree that they should; especially since this is a cycling event.

Printed road maps in Japan are superb, far better than any I've seen in N. America. For simple cycling navigation, try this...

1. Buy Mapple for your prefecture(s)
2. Color photocopy areas of travel
3. Place copies in jersey pocket
4. Refer to as needed :cool:

Printed road maps in Japan are superb, far better than any I've seen in N. America. For simple cycling navigation, try this...

1. Buy Mapple for your prefecture(s)
2. Color photocopy areas of travel
3. Place copies in jersey pocket
4. Refer to as needed :cool:

LIKE!

Back
Top Bottom