What's new

GPS Pioneer 700 vs Garmin 800

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
Hi, I've only been in Tokyo for a short while, not good with the lingo yet but enjoying cycling round the city and hope to try some of the rides with the club once I've got a bit fitter.
Until today I was saving up for a Garmin 800 (non Japanese performance version from wiggle) to help navigate me round Tokyo.
Then wandering round Y's in Shinjuku I came across the Pioneer SGX-CN 700. Similar price to the imported Garmin but with local map. Unfortunately I couldn't ask the chap in the shop anything so I was wondering if anyone could help compare them for me? (especially any details on the Pioneer as there is so little hard info or reviews on the web in English)
Which is better for navigation (to guide you between two points on its map)?
Does either have to be linked to a computer first to plan the route?
Can the menu on the Pioneer be changed into English? I couldn't find the option when playing with the unit in the shop for 5mins but hope it's there?
Many thanks, MacFly

Do you have a smart phone? You can probably make do with that. The Pioneer is designed for domestic use so no English menu, least not in the specs.

Thanks for the feedback! I have an iphone but no data network here (its on UK SIM) so its getting increasingly complex with multi apps required if I want to route find and track fitness. Garmin or Pioneer seem the way to go if I'm getting more serious.

Happy for this topic to be more taken over by a general G800vs P700 discussion - Does anyone have experience of the Pioneer?

Back
Top Bottom