What's new

Got your hillclimb gears ready?

Doug3

Maximum Pace
Jun 24, 2010
For you SRAM/Shimano types who want a bit lower gear than your current set-up, ChainReaction has a good deal on kit. They also have a 幸せな2000 campaign giving you an additional 2,000 yen off. For a bit over 10,000 yen you can have 1 or 2 lower gears to keep your cadence up. All told, my final cost was something like 48% of full retail.

Be careful not to order the PG1050 MTB sproket. You would see that this is the case because they also have a 11-36 option, which I am not 100% sure would work on a rosd setup.

1 SRAM Apex Rear Mech 10sp - Mid/Long Cage
ID: 185392
Unit Price: 5459.00 JPY

1 SRAM PG1050 Cassette 10sp - 11-32
ID: 199353
Unit Price: 3641.00 JPY

1 SRAM PC1091 Hollow Pin Chain 10sp - Each
ID: 194219
Unit Price: 3754.00 JPY

1 SRAM Powerlink Connector - 2 Pack - 10sp Powerlock
ID: 40401
Unit Price: 910.00 JPY

For you SRAM/Shimano types who want a bit lower gear than your current set-up, ChainReaction has a good deal on kit. They also have a 幸せな2000 campaign giving you an additional 2,000 yen off. For a bit over 10,000 yen you can have 1 or 2 lower gears to keep your cadence up. All told, my final cost was something like 48% of full retail.

Be careful not to order the PG1050 MTB sproket. You would see that this is the case because they also have a 11-36 option, which I am not 100% sure would work on a rosd setup.

1 SRAM Apex Rear Mech 10sp - Mid/Long Cage
ID: 185392
Unit Price: 5459.00 JPY

1 SRAM PG1050 Cassette 10sp - 11-32
ID: 199353
Unit Price: 3641.00 JPY

1 SRAM PC1091 Hollow Pin Chain 10sp - Each
ID: 194219
Unit Price: 3754.00 JPY

1 SRAM Powerlink Connector - 2 Pack - 10sp Powerlock
ID: 40401
Unit Price: 910.00 JPY

You'll need Sram shifters for that to work. Shimano and Sram shifters pull different amount of cable per indexing "click".

On a related note I did get a sram Apex 11-32 cassette working perfectly on a Dura Ace 7900 setup with no other mods. With a 34/50 crank it runs smoothly in every gear, big-big through small-small.

I've got RECON cassettes. Shimano compatible and about 180gr lighter than SRAM. They are about 10,000 yen (Alloy version). 11-27 and 11-28 for road, and 11-32,34,36 for MTB style. Combined with a set of lightweight wheels and it can really shave some weight off the bike!

You'll need Sram shifters for that to work. Shimano and Sram shifters pull different amount of cable per indexing "click".

Thanks for pointing that out. I've got the SRAM Force brifters so not so sure about a full Shimano set-up.

On a related note I did get a sram Apex 11-32 cassette working perfectly on a Dura Ace 7900 setup with no other mods. With a 34/50 crank it runs smoothly in every gear, big-big through small-small.

OK, so the hill climb gear will work with Shimano under certain conditions.

I've got RECON cassettes. Shimano compatible and about 180gr lighter than SRAM. They are about 10,000 yen (Alloy version). 11-27 and 11-28 for road, and 11-32,34,36 for MTB style. Combined with a set of lightweight wheels and it can really shave some weight off the bike!

Well, I certainly did not buy the SRAM cassette for weight savings. It is just under 300 grams. But on the other hand, even though it is rotating mass, it is very close to the axis of inertia. I need to be more worried about the extra kilograms (yes, kilograms) of body fat (21%) that I need to melt away.

Also, currently running a 11-27, so the RECON's are not likely to help me much by gaining one tooth. But they sure are light and made with some impressive technology.

I have looked for more information about this. I am currently on a Ultegra 6700 setup with 34/50--28/11.

From the information I have found this might work with the Sram 32/11 depending on the length of the rear derailleur hanger. On some frames there isn't enough clearence to make this work.

So I need to buy a cassette and see if it works I guess.

I would definately need the help of a lower gearing when climbing.

Japanviking, if you wait a while longer:-

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/shimano-sora-and-tourney-2013-first-look-33204/
Ultegra, 105 & Tiagra

There are no major changes to Shimano's second-tier groupset for 2012/13. However, Ultegra 6770 Di2 gets a new top-mounted satellite shifter option and the mechanical version gets optional wide-ratio rear gearing. While the standard 6700 rear mech can only be used with up to 28-tooth sprockets, the new 6700-A can handle 30. It'll work with close-ratio gearing too, down to 11-23t, and is available in SS (short cage) and GS (medium cage) versions, in silver or black.

Shimano ultegra rd-6700-a-ss rear derailleur:

The mid-range 105 and Tiagra groups also both get new wide-ratio rear derailleurs. The 5701 (black or silver) and 4601 (silver only) rear mechs can both be used with cassettes between 11-25t and 11-32t, and come in SS and GS variants.

Makes me wonder what they actually changed? If the frame has enough clearance it is possible to go up to 32 in the rear with the current versions of DA and 6700.
Maybe the only real change is the added cassettes?

Perhaps the 28t was the minimum guaranteed across all bikes and they didn`t want to risk upsetting people by marketing it as 32 only to have a load of people come back to them and say `it doesn`t work`. Hence, does this mean that the 30 (or 32 on the 105) can actually handle 34 (or 36)?

Or admitting that the current rear mechs could actually handle 32t would make them look stupid, so they brought out a new line!

I haven't done it personally, but there is a strong consensus across the interwebs that Shimano has been conservative with their 28t limitation. There are many, many accounts of people successfully using more than that. It's a case of try it at your own risk. I personally believe it's pretty low risk, but YMMV.

Currently, I'm on a fullsize crank, 53-39 with a 12-28 cassette, Dura-Ace 7900 shifters and derailleurs. I wouldn't complain about having a little bit more low end to keep my cadence up on steep climbs, so to those who try, I look forward to hearing your direct experience.

Shimano-wise: On any road bike, can't you just put an MTB 11-34 cassette on the rear, along with e.g., a longer cage MTB derailleur?

(That's what I've been reading, anyway.)

Shimano-wise: On any road bike, can't you just put an MTB 11-34 cassette on the rear, along with e.g., a longer cage MTB derailleur?

It depends... For 9-speed, i had no problem with swapping a MTB 11-34 cassette and XT rear derailleur on a road bike. However, on a 10-speed Shimano setup, there is no compatibility between the MTB gear/cage with a road gear/cage. The new DynaSys 10-speed MTB setup has a different cable pull compared with the 10-speed Road or even 9-speed MTB.

On a 10-speed road bike, I also tried putting a DynaSys (11-34) cassette along with a 9-speed MTB cage and using 10-speed DynsSys chains. It kind of worked but there is always a gear or two that tries to jump regardless of adjustments. Not sure if folks has the same experience. Too bad, SRAM doesn't produce 11-34 10-speed cassette.

For now, I have settled with 11-32 SRAM cassette using Dura-Ace 7900 cage for 10-speed.

Went to Y's road during lunch time and picked up a Sram 1050 11/32 cassette.
Looking forward to finding out if it will fit or not.

Will post an update tonight.

Service might not be good at Y's road but they sure have a lot of stuff there :)
many things on sale now, bicycles, wheels etc. I saw Fulcrum 5 and Easton EA50's at 50% off today. This is the shop down at Tamagawa.

I just mounted the new cassette and everything seems to work fine. My bike has the 6700 GS (medium cage) rear derallieur so no problem with the total gear spread.
I had to max out the B-adjustment screw for the upper jockey wheel to clear the 32t sprocket.

Looking forward to testing this setup tomorrow :bike:

I just mounted the new cassette and everything seems to work fine. My bike has the 6700 GS (medium cage) rear derallieur so no problem with the total gear spread.
I had to max out the B-adjustment screw for the upper jockey wheel to clear the 32t sprocket.

Looking forward to testing this setup tomorrow :bike:

And, I look forward to seeing it! :)

Shimano is very conservative, two is always fine, three usually, four depends.

That's exactly what I have on my CX bike. It works fine - even with Tiagra rear derailer. But like Alan said, if you jump into the XT range, the cassette spacing, etc is all different. I'm also using Microshift shifters which are little more tolerant on the spacing ratio.

Not to overlook the new Shimano CX lineup. It's very affordable if you want to swap into a compact-like chainset, and I think a better ratio (36/46) than standard compact for Alpine or Touring.

Back
Top Bottom