What's new

Got dogged today.

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
Not unlike Thomas and his bus dooring I got dogged today.

Riding home as usual along the Edo river and with a tail wind was going a bit faster than normal.

I know what it's like to be a dog walker as well as when I get home I trade my bike for my 2 dogs and take them for a walk along the river as well. Dogs are unpredictable, I know that.

So, about 50 meters ahead I see a lady with 2 dogs. She has them both on the grass on the left hand side of the path and she sees me coming. I see her reach down and make sure she has them on a short leash. (so I thought).

I move across to the right hand side of the bike path thinking all is well when the dog behind her decides to jump across to the other side of the path. His lead being longer than imagined, there is now a trip wire across the path about 50cm off the ground waiting to tangle me up.

I slam on the brakes and come to a sliding halt with the front tire riding over the trip wire and a dog on my left and a dog on my right. The dog on my right now seperated from it's master decides I need to be taken out and goes to work on my right ankle...while I'm trying to get my back wheel over the lead to make my escape.

The poor lady is apologizing while the dog is making a meal of my ankle and I smile and tell her not to worry....

Only a little blood has been drawn.....

:mad:

Hope you were vaccinated and up to date with the boosters.

River-ride dangers...

Hey Peter,
I thought I told you when we went up to Sekiyado that time, the four main "unpredictable" things to look out for (not in any particular order) are:
- Old people!
- Children!
- Dogs!
- Pigeons (I keep waiting for one to try & fly through my front spokes)!

Hope you're OK though!
T

Yeah, I always try and give dog walkers a wide berth, thats nearly happened to me a few times!

Hope you still feel kindly to man's best friend!

Ash

The poor lady is apologizing while the dog is making a meal of my ankle and I smile and tell her not to worry.... Only a little blood has been drawn.....

My sympathies, Pete! Gald you are alright tough!

I have had a few similar near miss incidents with dogs, cats (from right to left, mind you!), mice and pigeons. I have to agree with Travis that the latter are the most stupid species to deal with, as their survival instincts seem to be non-existant (take that, Darwin!).

I was once "crowed" waiting at a Tokyo traffic signal. That blasted crow would strafe me thrice, hitting me with its wings. Didn't like my jersey obviously.

Almost got oyaji'd today.
Coming down a slope to go under route 16 on the Edo river cycling path and this old guy coming from the road rides from the road directly onto the cycling path cutting in front of me. (without looking or thinking or trying to kill me). Slammed on the brakes swerving around him and then BANG my back wheel gets a puncture from the sideways sliding pressure. Managed to yell out a loud BAKA at him as I swerved around him. I wasn't going fast either as it's necesary to go slow under the narrow path under route 16.

hmmm... in my experience you are having whats called a 'bad week'.

The good news for you is that things are bound to get better! next week will be fine!

On my daily commute i regularly get 'mama charried', so I know how you feel. The sudden lurch off the pavement onto the road without the slightest thought for consequences seems to be a favorite of the mentally impaired that dominate this class of vehicle!

nevermind! The tour has started!!

ash

mirror men

Can I take the liberty of adding one more thing to this list? For me it is number 1.

Old men on bicycles, with a mirror on their bars

THE most unpredictable riders! My theory is that the mirrors were given to them, by worried relatives, in an attempt to make them better riders.

They are also the most bolshy, after having their indiscretions pointed out to them.

Hey Peter,
I thought I told you when we went up to Sekiyado that time, the four main "unpredictable" things to look out for (not in any particular order) are:
- Old people!
- Children!
- Dogs!
- Pigeons (I keep waiting for one to try & fly through my front spokes)!

Hope you're OK though!
T

Back
Top Bottom