What's new

Tech GoPro recommendations

Happy New Year!

@Chuck, I have two Hero2 and an original Hero. I used them to make a home renovation video a few weeks ago. They still work fine, but battery life is limited and they are missing a lot of new functions, as noted above.

So I recently got a brace of Hero9, plus a huge pack of cheap accessories. The Hero9 is great to work with. For me, especially, the flip-out mount (rather than needing to use a case), voice commands, and ability to preview the field of view on phone make a huge difference. I haven't used the Quik iPhone app for editing - prefer to offload everything into iMovie and edit there.
Thanks. I'm thinking my main use for the camera will be documenting road conditions, interesting sites, and the nature I get to see on my the rides. Doubt I'll do much editing or vlogging. The 9 looks plenty good for what I need. I'll have to see if I can get a good price on it.

might be worth looking into, this insta 360 go2 is cheaper than a gopro hero 9. it has less features than the gopro but i personally think that its stabilization and small size is a big plus. for my personal use (mtb rides and short vids of family), i think the insta is the best fit.

i have a gopro hero 4 but had to buy a gimbal to take steady footage. one big advantage of newer models (I think starting from hero 7) is that they have hypersmooth technology; no need for a gimbal to take steady footage.

good luck and let us know which one you get!

I have settled on getting the Hero9 but I'm in no hurry since I won't be using it much till summer. Amazon has the Hero9 (+batteries) for 51k (after 17k coupon discount). The coupon discount ends today. Since I haven't been in the market till now, not sure if I should snag it at this price or if this price, or maybe better, might show up later. So, is this price as good as it gets, or do prices and promotions like this show up pretty often?

The goPro 10 is $350 with some extras (US Prices).

In Japan it is still cheaper than the 9 with batteries you mentioned - but without the extra battery.

I also recommend getting it from gopro website, just cancel the premium subscription after 1 year (what I did).

For 51,360JPY you can get hero9, 32GB card + enduro battery.

@bloaker & @Nuff Oh, wow! Thanks.

What else besides the camera would you recommend I buy at purchase? I suppose I'll need an extra battery and charger (especially if they are discounted at time of purchase). Maybe the 64gb card as well?

I figure I could just get the rest of the accessories (chest strap, mounts, grip, etc.) in a bundle off Amazon later.

The Hero 10 should be good for 1.5 to 2 hours of recording. There is a USB-C port in the camera, you can charge your batter via the camera if you want. My Session 5 doesn't have a removeable battery and I have been OK with just charging the unit. I will probably do the same with the 10, but I have yet to remove it from the box. But if you are doing multiple batteries, maybe the multiple battery charger would be the way to go.

As for the accessories, I have been happy with the cheap generic stuff from Amazon.

I opened my GoPro 10 box yesterday for the first time.
In the box, Camera, Battery, USB-C cable.
I opened the battery door, slid in the battery and plugged in the USB-C to the Camera and my Anker Charger.
This morning all good to go... except I forgot where my spare SD cards are... so ordered one and will have it tomorrow.

@bloaker Thanks for the info. I was checking some things out and saw that you can replace the battery door on the 10 with a door that allows you to charge the battery with the battery door closed. Downside is, you'd lose the waterproof feature. But as long as it's not raining, it would be a good way to keep the unit charged on the go...which would mean I could get away with probably only one extra battery.

What card did you buy? Thinking of getting the SanDisc 128 extreme or the 256.

Been trying to find out when the special price offer ends, but can't find it. I'm in no hurry to buy one but don't want to miss out on a pretty decent price. Any idea when it ends?

I bought the SanDisk Extreme Pro 256 - it supports full 4K should I choose to record that way.

@bloaker Thanks for the info. I was checking some things out and saw that you can replace the battery door on the 10 with a door that allows you to charge the battery with the battery door closed. Downside is, you'd lose the waterproof feature. But as long as it's not raining, it would be a good way to keep the unit charged on the go...which would mean I could get away with probably only one extra battery.

What card did you buy? Thinking of getting the SanDisc 128 extreme or the 256.

Been trying to find out when the special price offer ends, but can't find it. I'm in no hurry to buy one but don't want to miss out on a pretty decent price. Any idea when it ends?
Whatever card you have, make sure it has the V30/A2 markings on it, to show that it supports fast writing on the card - essential for 4K.

Back
Top Bottom