What's new

Google+

onm

Sep 2, 2009
Not directly related to bikes, but we are all chatting on the internet so I thought it would be fairly appropriate.

I have recently ditched Facebook in favour of Google+ and am loving it.

If anyone would like an invite, let me know. I have just under 500 to give out (as will you if you sign up at the moment).

I think it is much better than Facebook, for a load of reasons, so if you fancy giving it a go, let me know and I will give you an invite.

Cheers.

Owen

Funny coincidence, not 5 minutes ago I noticed you were gone from Facebook... :(

Funny coincidence, not 5 minutes ago I noticed you were gone from Facebook...

:D

Owen, thanks again for the invite! You got to love the Googlesque simplicity over FB, but as a forum admin I am not happy about either, as they syphon off a lot of forum traffic.

Phil; not abandoning anyone! I am forging ahead in the name of all that is good and righteous!

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you an invite.

It really is very, very good.

The 'Hangout' section alone, where you can do Skype-esque multi-user chat/audio/video works astoundingly well.

There is loads of other excellent stuff, like full gmail integration (send and reply to gmail/other email from your Google+ page, and once sent once you can reply from anything that has your email account linked), Photo handling is next-level, 'Circles' finally means you can control your info with an iron fist, etc.

Warning; I am on a massive Photoshop mission at the moment, so most of my posts will be talking with other Photoshop nerds about super high level techniques, so the trolling is off for a bit, but rest assured, 'he' will be back sooner or later ;)

:D

Owen, thanks again for the invite! You got to love the Googlesque simplicity over FB, but as a forum admin I am not happy about either, as they syphon off a lot of forum traffic.

Embrace it. I think Google+ is way better suited to TCC than Facebook; the way large groups of people can chat at the same time, in private rooms you can create instantly is amazing. Get a TCC account set up, leave a 'hangout' permanently open and people can drop in any time to chat with real voice or video about rides coming up, etc.

Embrace it. I think Google+ is way better suited to TCC than Facebook; the way large groups of people can chat at the same time, in private rooms you can create instantly is amazing. Get a TCC account set up, leave a 'hangout' permanently open and people can drop in any time to chat with real voice or video about rides coming up, etc.

Howling with the wolves...

Could you please send me one more invite to my tokyocycle account? :)

A luddite writes...

Yah, this is all well and good but I really can't see a need for another social networking account especially for cycling.

I mean I have social network accounts already for specific areas: linked-in (work); academia.edu (work); twitter news feeds; FB (which I really dislike due to their constant privacy changes or opt-ins on things that are simply awful) for some family and friend stuff; TCC for cycling. Each has their own specific use and focus; and I really like to keep things separate.

The thought of everything being in FB or Google+ or whatever is not so nice, especially when this forum by itself works very nicely.

I wanted to check it out yesterday, but it said they were overwhelmed and I needed to wait. Perhaps with an invite, I could have a look. I think Gmail is so-so, but Google Maps, Google Sites - the search engine etc. are all amazing, so I have high expectations. I am a little concerned about the thousands of photos I have in FB. It would sure be nice if I could send them all over to whatever the next best thing is with the click of a button.

If you are concerned by the fact that you have a load of photos in Facebook that you need to transfer, and you do not have copies on a hard drive anywhere, you need to realise that you have been living a very dangerous game.

Back that sh@t up, by downloading your own photos from your Facebook account (if you don't have the originals, you will experience the 'Facebook smearing' effect). If you choose to upload to Google+, you will be doing so as a wiser Netizen.

Yah, this is all well and good but I really can't see a need for another social networking account especially for cycling.

I mean I have social network accounts already for specific areas: linked-in (work); academia.edu (work); twitter news feeds;

FB (which I really dislike due to their constant privacy changes or opt-ins on things that are simply awful) for some family and friend stuff; TCC for cycling. Each has their own specific use and focus; and I really like to keep things separate.

The thought of everything being in FB or Google+ or whatever is not so nice, especially when this forum by itself works very nicely.

The point of Google+, once you start using it and see how well it works, is to combine all of the things you have said you have used, take all the bullshit out of them, and make a single, useful package for them.

I predict resistance, of course, but given time, you will all be on this.

Yah, I have the photos, it just takes a lot of time to sort, add comments, upload etc.... I am I have a gmail account at ikedawilliams if you can send an invite. Thanks.

>Note.

If any of you do take me up on this invite offer (not trying to come across as an exclusive; loads of invites out there now.), can you at least add me to your Friends Circle upon accepting. Feel free to delete me later, but I would like to know where my invites end up.

Cheers.

Owen

Send me a PM with your email address.

Ahhhh.

All those of you who I give an invite, please add me to your friends circle, or this is going to be a massive give-and-no-take exercise on my part.

I know you all hate me, but at least give me the option of seeing you delete me, eh?

Back
Top Bottom