What's new

Good training routes in Tokyo?

ittaikan

Cruising
Sep 21, 2010
Hi

I'll be visiting Tokyo between October 4 and 10. I live in Shanghai but will bring my TT bike as I have an important race in China mid October. I am looking for a loop or another type of route where I can ride full speed. Preferably a 5-10 km loop with minimal traffic and few lights (I plan to ride 5 in the morning - should make it easier right?).
I'll be staying either Ginza, Akasaka, Shiodome or Shibuya.

If not possible do you know anybody from whom I can rent a home trainer? Mine is too heave to put onboard a plane.

Help will be rewarded :)

Jacob

Me and some of the boys get out for an early morning 10km loop just about every morning on Arakawa. Check out the thread in the rides sub forum.

Up to a 40km/hr average speed if the speedsters are feeling frisky. (I'm not one of them, just the leech who desperately hangs on the back of the train)

Come and join us anytime you like.

Me and some of the boys get out for an early morning 10km loop just about every morning on Arakawa. Check out the thread in the rides sub forum.

Up to a 40km/hr average speed if the speedsters are feeling frisky. (I'm not one of them, just the leech who desperately hangs on the back of the train)

Come and join us anytime you like.

Thank you fort his. Judged from Google Maps it seems Arakawa is pretty far from downtown. How far will it be from let's say Shiodome?

The river itself isn't that far from Shiodome. Type "Arakawa River" into googlemaps (the english one works, ignore the fact that it is the Ara River for now).

That's the bay side start. Even before that you can get onto the Sumida River, which gets close to Arakawa as you go north.

Hi Ittaikan

I'm new here (on the forum) but know a little about this area, I live in Nihombashi and ride out to the Arakawa river, it is a very easy ride to get there and well worth it for the space and freedom.

What Hotel will you be at and i can tell you the best road to take. ( I would guess about 20 mins to get there...)

The only other open place from the city is Odaiba (the large reclaimed islands in the bay, but you need to fight cars and lights there.. )

Regards
Eion

To where we train it will be a bit of a haul. The river is good for training anywhere but it isn't a loop and there are gates on some of the lower sections.

If you wanted to join us you would need to be looking at a hotel in ikebukero area, I would suggest.

There is also the palace loop that is pretty popular early mornings but a decent run would require you to be running red lights and dodging taxis and joggers.

Thank you so far.

1. I will bring my road bike instead of the TT rig. I think that's better if I am to go far out of my area of residence.
2. Palace loop sounds great too. When is it?
3. The other 10 km group ride, when and where to start? I'll join at least one time riding from my hotel (most likely Conrad or Park).
4. Don't worry about red light and taxies guys:) I live in Shanghai. Compared to that Tokyo traffic is a piece of cake. I even experienced cars actually stopping to let cyclists pass.... :)

Hope it's Ok I ask so many questions. Anybody who want to hook up on Facebook feel free to search on my: Jacob Johansen (Location Shanghai)

Thank you all so much for now! Looking forward to get my kicked by you guys:)

Back
Top Bottom