What's new

Good stuff of 2022

What's the battery life compared to v1?
It feels like at least a few hours more. That was a nice surprise because colour displays usually suck more power than monochrome ones, so it was the opposite of my expectation.

I have done 16 hour rides with half of it in darkness (with the occasional backlight usage when instructions are displayed or when I check the map or elevation data). That's while following a GPX track and recording and it still had something like 20% battery charge left.

The only time I actually needed that charging cable on the bike was on the ride from Aichi to Tokyo (24h Flèche ride). Any Century distance or 200 km brevet I'd be fine all day.

I have done 16 hour rides with half of it in darkness (with the occasional backlight usage when instructions are displayed or when I check the map or elevation data). That's while following a GPX track and recording and it still had something like 20% battery charge left.
That alone sounds like a reason to upgrade. Does the Bolt v2 have an ambient light sensor like the Roam?

Wizard Works Framebagracadabra (mine's an L - they hadn't started the XL then). Great for longer rides, especially in winter. I much prefer stuffing extra layers in there than having bulging pockets. The webbing means it doesn't mess with the paintwork on the top tube, although I imagine that makes it more of a faff to take on and off than a bag with straps.

Attachments

• IMG_20221205_155016.jpg
    IMG_20221205_155016.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 7
That alone sounds like a reason to upgrade. Does the Bolt v2 have an ambient light sensor like the Roam?
The backlight setting choices are On / Off / Auto / 5 seconds. I use the 5 seconds setting. Availability of "Auto" suggests there's an ambient light sensor. It's easy enough to turn on the light by using the zoom buttons (up / down) in the "5 s" mode for a quick view.

I don't think I've yet mentioned my carbon frame. I generally don't talk about it, and people don't ask.

A couple of years ago, it cracked. I got a replacement. (The same model. Am I mad?) Last year, the replacement cracked. I got a re-replacement. (The same model. I am mad.)

A couple of weeks ago, one of the polymer shock absorber thingies failed. So today I went back to the store. They kindly fitted a brand new pair free of charge. Now I can again enjoy lateral stiffness and vertical compliance.

One thing I noticed in the store today is a new line of titanium frames, priced no more than 35% above the carbon model. Tempting! And sensible, too. In 2023, will one of these become my "forever frame"?

A couple of years ago, it cracked. I got a replacement. (The same model. Am I mad?) Last year, the replacement cracked. I got a re-replacement. (The same model. I am mad.)
That's definitely not cool. How about getting another replacement and then selling that to offset the cost of the new bike?

Back
Top Bottom