What's new

Good routes near Shinagawa JR stn

rumnyc

Warming-Up
Apr 27, 2007
I want to do a 30-45 run every morning (7am) around shinagawa area...can anyone recommend any good routes?

I want to do a 30-45 run every morning (7am) around shinagawa area...can anyone recommend any good routes?

hi! not all that familiar with that area, but why not rock it round the palace? That would be my suggestion, but people who live out your way might have some other ideas! The palace is a good run though, and I believe we have a time competition going around this route!

check it out on this page.

Ash

hi! not all that familiar with that area, but why not rock it round the palace? That would be my suggestion, but people who live out your way might have some other ideas! The palace is a good run though, and I believe we have a time competition going around this route!

check it out on this page.

Ash
Do you mean the road around the palace? How long is it in km?

Lap of the palace . . .

Paul (fluro2au) is the palace lap record holder (see details below). Paul measured one lap as 5:106km.

You will have to go very fast to beat Paul - he is extremely good! :p You may even meet Paul down there - I think he is a regular. I understand the palace road is reasonably traffic free in the early morning and good for speed training.

Cheers,

Philip

fluro2au
Apr 12, 2007, 06:45
Well I did it. decided to punch a lap around the palace at the end of my ride this morning.

Results
Distance: 5:106km
Time: 8:15sec
av sp: 36kph
av hr: 156bpm

Condtions were okay. There was slight NW blowing and I only had to contend with 3 red lights. That was pretty much as hard as I could go for the fitness I have at the moment.

My goal is to break 7:30sec and av over 40kph someday. :bike:

The challenge has been issued. I now call on all riders to better my time.:p :p :p

fluro

Oi-futo.

Here's another one;
If you head south from Shinagawa, there is Oi-Futo - It's a 10km flat loop that's used in the last stage of the "Tour of Japan".
I've never ridden it myself, but it's another one Paul "Fluro2au" can help you out with - he's done it more times than the palace, I think.
Anyway, it's worth a look!
Travis

Here's another one;
If you head south from Shinagawa, there is Oi-Futo - It's a 10km flat loop that's used in the last stage of the "Tour of Japan".
I've never ridden it myself, but it's another one Paul "Fluro2au" can help you out with - he's done it more times than the palace, I think.
Travis

Too many trucks on weekdays...good on weekends because the wharves are closed....

Why not use a stationary trainer? For 30 to 45 minutes it's not worth all the change of clothes and shower time... t-shirt and under wear when you wake up then staright into the shower after your work out...put on a Tour De France DVD and race a few stages...

Too many trucks on weekdays...good on weekends because the wharves are closed....

Why not use a stationary trainer? For 30 to 45 minutes it's not worth all the change of clothes and shower time... t-shirt and under wear when you wake up then staright into the shower after your work out...put on a Tour De France DVD and race a few stages...

Personally I prefer the wide open plains of shinmejirodori of a morning, where I can whizz along and enjoy nature in all its primitive, untrammelled glory...

There`s nothing like the smell of bus no.61`s exhaust first thing in the day as it does an abrupt stop in front of you forcing the pipe up your tender nostils while revving the engine...

where did you buy that trainer??

1900rollers.jpg

any shop that sells road bikes will also sell trainers...

x1pX43kt4W_t1mffuOa6JScDTd2fSQW75oT0OP4l7RBgKKSaDgQ8wLPDZmZkKAzIRAZCv9iGSEQ2R5sN0IaPesJP_uaF5ErEwhdTxQVOqFoDyBMCN2OhFjYIHJ7Q3q7AvsQyYPUaOOU4zXgCLF-hsVpFQ

I have one of each and prefer the old fashioned style as you have to balance and it feels like you're actually riding... the new ones have much smaller aluminium cyclinders and are quite quiet....

good for warming up for races too when there is nowhere to warm up...

You are older than I thought . . .

Are you on the left or the right :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Philip

wife will kill me if i brought the bike up to the apt-if she doesn't kill me when she finds out the price ;)

i tried the trainer thing a long time ago whe i was in nyc and hated it.
right now i and doing a silly 2km loop 5-10 times (depending on how early i get up) as the main roads have way too much truck traffic.

Personally I prefer the wide open plains of shinmejirodori of a morning, where I can whizz along and enjoy nature in all its primitive, untrammelled glory...

There`s nothing like the smell of bus no.61`s exhaust first thing in the day as it does an abrupt stop in front of you forcing the pipe up your tender nostils while revving the engine...

where did you buy that trainer??

where is shinmejirodori? apologies, I just moved to tokyo...

Here's another one;
Travis

can you link me to a map to this place?

Warning!

Hi rumnyc,

Ooifuto is a dock area. On Sunday the docks are closed and cyclists take over the roads for the day. You can get upto 500 people lapping - excellent :D

However, Monday to Saturday the docks are open and these roads are full of large, heavy trucks and very dangerous to cyclists.

Cheers,

Philip

Hi rumnyc,

Ooifuto is a dock area. On Sunday the docks are closed and cyclists take over the roads for the day. You can get upto 500 people lapping - excellent :D

However, Monday to Saturday the docks are open and these roads are full of large, heavy trucks and very dangerous to cyclists.

Cheers,

Philip

Thats great--I would love to check it out over the weekend...how do I get there from the JR station?

The closest station to that park is on the monorail. 'Oi Keiba Jyou mae'. (The Oi horse race track train station.
I bought my wife a bicycle bag tonight and we'll probably train it in there Sunday to watch the races then ride home in the afternoon.

If you want to ride there this Sunday you need to get there early. They'll clear the roads around 8:30 and the first race usually starts around 9:00 (I could be wrong) But the earlier you get there the more you can ride. Once the races start there is no where. Traffic will be diverted around the race and that will make the traffic worse surrounding the area.

rumnyc,

Sorry, I do not know which station is best. However, here is a link to google map that centers on the park area where everyone meets up. Zoom out to see where everything is in relation to your location. Hope this helps:

http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=35.596705,139.762831&spn=0.010451,0.024741&z=16&om=1

Edogawakikkoman can you help???

Cheers,

Philip

Doh I tried this morning around ~9.00am, to ride there and failed. I actually live only 10-15 minutes by bike from there. Looking back at the map, I think i got near the big rectangular park on your map, not the triangular map on the center.

I felt there was no way of getting to the other side of the highway without getting on a main highway but now I see that there is an overbridge over the tracks. I probably try again tomorrow morning.

So onces the races start, can you not ride there unless you are racing? I guess that means I have to finish riding there by 9.00am?

Rumnyc . . .

This weekend the roads have been closed for professional cyclist races (see other posts) - however, this is the exception to the rule. Most Sundays you can ride all day long.

Persevere in finding the location - it really is worth it!

Cheers,

Philip

Back
Top Bottom