What's new

Good Route to Zushi Needed

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
Last fall I rode down to Zushi for a big BBQ that a bunch of friends have at their "Seaside Hut" about 100m from the beach on Zushi.

>> Here is the route I planed to ride << I stuck to that mostly, got a little lost a couple of times.

I left at about 8PM and got there about midnight, yeah, 4 hours, and I rode through the city just about non-stop, traffic light, to traffic light, fighting taxis and trucks the whole way, I enjoyed it, but I know there must be a much better way to get there on bike. That trip was about 65Km, which at the time, on my barely modified old Cannondale was, in my mind quite the achievement, now I know that is not such a big ride, but it was for me then.

On July 17th, we are having another BBQ party, as both of our daughters will be in Canada over the summer, we have decided NOT to drive down, my wife with take the train with some other friends who are going, and I want to ride down. The party starts around noon, so if I get an early start, I can take a much more enjoyable route (one MUST exist!!) and be there on time. I'll do that whole BBQ party thing, then take the Rinko bag route home, mostly because I plan on having a few beers! :D

So, from Shinjuku down to Zushi, any route ideas?

Cheers!

Maybe something like this >> route <<

I know that just about everything around Tokyo is built up, it is a megalopolis but the route I took last time along the coast was not good.

Hi Stu,

I do live a bit farther west than you, but I find my route rather pleasant, especially in the morning.

I live in Fuchu, ride to Machida via Pref Route 18 (you could use the One-kan to join) then From Machida south along Sakai-river which has a bikepath all the way to Fujisawa (national route 467 offers a faster on-road option) and from there to the coast and along the coast to Zushi.

Paul, that is a huge help!!

I should really try to remember to follow the rivers!!

How about this >> route << I think that basically follows what you suggested.

Oh, what is the "One-Kan" highway...? Is that route #20 Omekaido? Not familiar with "One-kan" :eek:

Cheers!

I'd be leaving in the morning, maybe around 7 AM :cool:

Paul, that is a huge help!!

I should really try to remember to follow the rivers!!

How about this >> route << I think that basically follows what you suggested.

Oh, what is the "One-Kan" highway...? Is that route #20 Omekaido? Not familiar with "One-kan" :eek:

Cheers!

Yep, that's pretty much it.

One-kan is what was planned to be a large road running from Inagi west but the plan got scrapped so it is just two lanes far a apart.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/南多摩尾根幹線

p.s. my name isn't Paul ;)

Yep, that's pretty much it.

One-kan is what was planned to be a large road running from Inagi west but the plan got scrapped so it is just two lanes far a apart.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/南多摩尾根幹線

p.s. my name isn't Paul ;)

I think I've driven along at before, a friend used to live out in Sagami, and I think we used that road.

OK if it is not Paul, then Paullb? :D

I don't think we have been formally introduced ;)

The route is about 15km longer, but I bet it will a much nicer ride.

Thanks again!

OK if it is not Paul, then Paullb? :D

I don't think we have been formally introduced ;)

The route is about 15km longer, but I bet it will a much nicer ride.

Name is Brendan! :)

I'm sure it is a nicer ride. Getting down to Sakai river in Machida can be a bit tricky so be careful.

I'm sure it is a nicer ride. Getting down to Sakai river in Machida can be a bit tricky so be careful.

Nice to meet you Brendan :)

Stu, when you going to Zushi? I just might tag along for the ride, and then do the rest of the Miura hanto, and catch a train home.

Nice to meet you Brendan!

I'll do some google maping and I have google maps on my iPhone so I should be able to figure it out.

I mapped that ride on the West side of the river for the most part, is one side better than the other?

Tim, I'll be going on July 17th, which is a Sunday.

I'm sure you would be more than welcome to come to the BBQ as well if you like!

I'd welcome the company!

After some discussion with my lovely wife, she reminded me that the beach front road between Fujisawa, Kamakura and Zushi can be rather crowded on a Sunday and not much fun on a bike, as well as all the hordes of people that would be anywhere near Kamakura on the long weekend, so I adjusted the route, so I leave the river earlier and head south east, above Zushi, then one big (for me) climb over a hill to get to Zushi.

Here is the >> Updated << route.

I should be able to do that climb, even though it is near the end of the ride :eek:

What do you think?

After some discussion with my lovely wife, she reminded me that the beach front road between Fujisawa, Kamakura and Zushi can be rather crowded on a Sunday and not much fun on a bike, as well as all the hordes of people that would be anywhere near Kamakura on the long weekend, so I adjusted the route, so I leave the river earlier and head south east, above Zushi, then one big (for me) climb over a hill to get to Zushi.

Here is the >> Updated << route.

I should be able to do that climb, even though it is near the end of the ride :eek:

What do you think?

Yes, the road does get crowded (to the point of being at a standstill) but I never really find it much more than an annoyance. Some of those inland roads get very crowded as well. I've done it several times and I stick with the sea-side road.

So we are still planning on doing this ride, this coming Sunday.

If anyone else would like to join us, this is what we are doing, riding down to Zushi, should be about 80Km, it is not my party, so I cannot invite you to stay for dinner etc, but you can certainly have a pit stop and then carry on.

Tim is planing on doing most of the rest of the Miura peninsula then training it home. We are thinking to leave Shinjuku early to avoid the heat of the day, like 6:30 early. Pace will be 25Km/h or so, not fast, but not slow, lots of water breaks :D I've never ridden this route so given time for getting lost etc, I hope to do it in under 4 hours. No serious climbs of any distance, but some minor hills, not all river side cycle path riding.

Cheers!

Well it was HOT out there :eek: We left Shinjuku at 6:43AM and the first hour or so it was not bad at all, but then it started to get hot :eek:uch: We stopped a lot more often, well "I" had to stop a lot more often than I thought I would, I swear the water in my bottle was evaporating!! I think I drank close to 6L of water on the four hour trip down to Zushi, but we made it. Down to Machida the roads were not bad, a bit crowded in sections, but not bad.

Once we got past Machida, the roads were good and then we got onto the river route, and it was good to VERY good in spots! Loved it, but boy it was hard work when you don't have any stop light breaks! :D

I wore a full length jersey, and lots of sunblock, which I reapplied 3 times, but still I got a it burned.

Thanks to Tim for the company and for towing me along as, I was getting rather tired at the end, but we made it!

tim_stu_seaside_hut_july_2011_c.jpg

This summer heat riding stuff is kind of nuts!

:D

Yes, Sakai river can be very nice in parts. I just need to find a nicer way to get from where the bike path stops, to Enoshima. After such a tranquil ride it jars to have to steam through Fujisawa.

It's a great river to ride in the night - as there are no human barriers making life tricky!

Let me know when/if you plan to ride it again ~ I might well join you :bike:

Well it was HOT out there :eek: We left Shinjuku at 6:43AM and the first hour or so it was not bad at all, but then it started to get hot :eek:uch: We stopped a lot more often, well "I" had to stop a lot more often than I thought I would, I swear the water in my bottle was evaporating!! I think I drank close to 6L of water on the four hour trip down to Zushi, but we made it. Down to Machida the roads were not bad, a bit crowded in sections, but not bad.

Once we got past Machida, the roads were good and then we got onto the river route, and it was good to VERY good in spots! Loved it, but boy it was hard work when you don't have any stop light breaks! :D

I wore a full length jersey, and lots of sunblock, which I reapplied 3 times, but still I got a it burned.

Thanks to Tim for the company and for towing me along as, I was getting rather tired at the end, but we made it!

tim_stu_seaside_hut_july_2011_c.jpg

This summer heat riding stuff is kind of nuts!

:D

Zushi route

Been going there almost every other weekend for last 2 years in summer
if you mantain 30km /h you can easily get there within 2.5 hours as long as you reach gotanda or shinagawa
Best going on Sunday before 9AM,otherwise roads are crowded.
1. From gotanda :
Take keihin-daini - straight to yokohama( dont mistake otherwise you in for a bit of country roads - which could be nice but gonna prolong the journey a bit )
at Yokohama,get on the Yokosuka Highway ( route 16 ) and go straight until
loop 4 ( mitsuura direction ) small climb there and again straight to Zushi.
This route might have bit of traffic on first part of road but not on sundays before 9AM ....
2.Same but replace the keihin daini with dai-ichi ( not advised at all on saturdays due to HEAVY truck traffic till yokohama )

even novice should be able to take it under 3.5 hours , climbs are minimal mostly ( be carefull and switch gear when you get on loop4 cause the climb is sudden and steep but short and well payed off by heaving wide and open long downhill after the tunnel )

from gotanda, about 63k

have fun...
btw if anyone has info on Koga to Niigata route..please let me know!

Back
Top Bottom