Good Morning

dionsyus

Warming-Up
Sep 3, 2013
Hi,

I'm Dennis and I'm from Singapore but have been in Shanghai and Tokyo for the last 10 years.

I'm a total novice to cycling but looking forward to taking this up as I'm seriously in need of exercise. Looking forward to learning and riding with some of you soon.

Dennis

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
Hello Dennis. Get a bike from a real bike shop (not a supermarket), and when the bike shop is not crowded, so that the assistant can pay attention to what you want. Don't pay much, because you don't yet know what would suit your later, fitter self. (Your first bike will help educate your choice of second bike.) Then start by riding just 5km or so. Tokyo is hilly and if you occasionally want to get off and push, don't be ashamed. Within a few months, 5km should painlessly extend to 20km and 50km.

dionsyus

Warming-Up
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks kiwisimon and microcord for the advice.

I've ordered a bike (Boardman Hybrid Comp around 6.6 man) thru wiggle and will hopefully use it for a while till I get stronger/ better. Can't wait to receive the bike in a couple of weeks.

I intend to commute to work (from Kachidoki to Roponggi) around 10km per day and perhaps go on longer trip on the weekend. Looking forward to the day where I can join you all for the longer trips etc :)

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
London, UK
www.macrophotofly.com
Welcome Dennis.
I've ordered a bike (Boardman Hybrid Comp
Sounds like you've started out the same way I did. I bought a Boardman Hybrid one year ago this month, joined this forum and started riding the beginner rides in Tokyo with Half Fast. Many of the members are also on here - most importantly Mike who posts many of the rides here. One year on I'm climbing mountains at the weekends on my bike; seeing more of Tokyo then I ever saw before, and 5+ kg lighter

dionsyus

Warming-Up
Sep 3, 2013
Finally got my bike back this evening. Had received the package on Monday but made a mess installing the rear derailleur, and had to bring it to a bike shop to fix/ tune it......

But I'm happy to get the bike back and had ridden around 8.9km this evening (based on google map). Can anyone recommend a good IOS app that can record trips etc and have maps? Will probably get a garmin later though :)

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
Can anyone recommend a good IOS app that can record trips etc and have maps? Will probably get a garmin later though :)
Welcome, Dennis! My son uses Strava on his iPhone for recording, Google Maps for maps.

I'm using both on Android, though for recording I've mostly switched to a Garmin Edge 500, primarily to be able to use a heart rate belt and for more precise altitude recording (climbing totals).