What's new

Good day from a rookie in Taito

saibot

Maximum Pace
May 29, 2012
Hello TCC people, been lurking here for a month or two now so I though I might as well do an introduction.
Tobias is the real name, I'm a web developer/designer that left Sweden and came to Tokyo last october to study japanese (30-year-old-crisis or something like that ^^).

Been rinding very recreational for a couple of years back home, but last january I broke my leg pretty bad in snowboard accident (still have a lot of titanium and a 11 screws in my leg) and the bike became my primary rehabilitation which ended up getting me in the best shape of my life last summer. Even joined a local club a did a couple of small road races.

I came here thinking that a would leave the whole cycling thing back in sweden, but I ended up buying a single speed bike for commuting to school.
The more I road the more I realized how I missed it, that in combination with deciding to extend my studies here for 1 more year I started looking for a proper road bike in May.
I started going around to the shops without finding much in the right sizes. And I'm sorry to say the staff at most places was not so eager to help either.
I was about to give up, but decided to check out the Bianchi concept store just to have a look. Always liked Bianchi but back in Sweden they are insanely expensive so I wasn't expecting anything. But due to surprisingly decent prices(compared to Sweden) and very kind and helpful staff, two weeks later I could pick up my Sempre Ultegra Di2, which was to be honest way over my budget, but you only live once ehy :)

My tall and skinny build had me convinced I was relatively good uphill so
after a couple of rides along Arakawa, I started searching for more hilly routes, and that's when I found TCC.
I found a "Takao-Jimba" loop and decided to try it out as it seemed a good beginners climb from what I read.
I don't have any bikebag and stuff like that so I rode from my house in Taito out there, I needed to get some km's in the legs anyway. While Takao was do-able, Jimba (or is it Wada-pass you call it?) kick my big time (twice).
Never had problems uphill back in sweden but we don't have any hills that even come close to that, so I was a bit ignorant thinking it would be "easy".
I been back there again and actually managed to get up there without stopping, talk about satisfaction :)
Also now I understand why they make compact cranksets, and I want one!

Reading all you TCCers ride reports about climbing 2500-3500m/day here I realized I'm in nowhere near good enough shape to hang with you, but I hope to be able tag along on some rides soon enough if you'll let me.

So if you a see a skinny white guy on a bianchi and wearing celeste bianchi kit that looks like he thinks his sponsored or something, feel free to say hi :)

Sorry this became a long introduction, this is why I usually only read messageboards and don't post much :eek:

Love the nice atmosphere you have in this "community" btw!

July 28, 2012 - n00b ride to Nichitsu abandoned village

Hi Tobias,

Couple of absolute beginners are going up to the Chichibu area to do some touring on July 28, 2012. It happens that the strong riders from TCC are doing the same on that day as well. See thread: https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=3764

The n00bs (me and two other riders) are planning to meet at Fujimidai Station at 6am. We plan to rinko bag it to Mitsumineguchi Station and go 30km / +600 meters to the abandoned Nichitsu village. We then plan to cycle back to the Tokyo area, approximately 130km, via the Arakawa. Depending on how the group feels, we may complete the loop, additional 700 meters of climbing, or go back the way we came. Numerous bail out points on the way back.

Our group is butterflies float through your spokes unharmed slow. Expectations is about 10 to 15 km/h on uphill sections. Flats will be about 20 km/h.

We are expecting to be passed by the TCC group. If you find us too slow, you could probably switch groups. Please just let group leader know so we don't go looking for you. :)

-jack

Hi Tobias,

Couple of absolute beginners are going up to the Chichibu area to do some touring on July 28, 2012. It happens that the strong riders from TCC are doing the same on that day as well. See thread: https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=3764

The n00bs (me and two other riders) are planning to meet at Fujimidai Station at 6am. We plan to rinko bag it to Mitsumineguchi Station and go 30km / +600 meters to the abandoned Nichitsu village. We then plan to cycle back to the Tokyo area, approximately 130km, via the Arakawa. Depending on how the group feels, we may complete the loop, additional 700 meters of climbing, or go back the way we came. Numerous bail out points on the way back.

Our group is butterflies float through your spokes unharmed slow. Expectations is about 10 to 15 km/h on uphill sections. Flats will be about 20 km/h.

We are expecting to be passed by the TCC group. If you find us too slow, you could probably switch groups. Please just let group leader know so we don't go looking for you. :)

-jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the invite! Sounds fun, unfortunately I'm fully booked on saturday as I leave for Sweden the following day for 2 weeks. Once I get back I hope to be able to join some rides though.

Btw, I don't have a rinko bag yet, any recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom