What's new

Golden Week Beginners Ride

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
I don't have any plans and thought I would organise a beginners ride.

The plan is tomeet on the Tamagawa River and Ride up to Fusa.

From here head out to Tomin no Mori and ride tothe summit, from here U-turn back down the climb and head to Fusanobirugoya for a refreshing cold beer brewed right then.

Please let me know if you are interested and whatdays work best.

James

I don't have any plans and thought I would organise a beginners ride.

The plan is tomeet on the Tamagawa River and Ride up to Fusa.

From here head out to Tomin no Mori and ride tothe summit, from here U-turn back down the climb and head to Fusanobirugoya for a refreshing cold beer brewed right then.

Please let me know if you are interested and whatdays work best.

James

How long in kilometers are we talking here?

What kind of climbs?

I certainly fit the bill of a beginner, but I'm not sure what you mean as a beginner :) My wife is a beginner too, but the ride down to Tokyo tower and back left her tired (13.5 Km round trip, took us an hour rolling time, I went slow for her)

I'm just trying to figure out what you mean by beginner, as I'd certainly be interested in a ride, but Sundays are the only days that work for me, we are NOT off over golden week..... :eek:uch:

I'm using GDW for a 'carb free' microcycle. Mainly Zone 2 and 3 rides with intermixed Intervals. I want to lose about 1200-1500gr core fat and build little higher lactate tolerance. So, this ride sounds perfect. You can count me in.

Ok the ride from the Tamagawara Bashi to the top of Tomin no Mori and back is about 80km in total (I Think)

Although this is a "Beginners" ride I would suggest riders are able to maintain between 28-30km/h

The climb is a serious one but not impossible and I usually use this climb as an introduction to 1st timers due to gradient, length and sense of achievement once you reach the top. Once completed its all downhill to the river!

I'll be mashing again on the 53-11 so like I said a good ride for people interested in seeing what "REAL" riding is like in Japan.

I wanna see you do the 53/11 all the way to the top!

If it's on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday next week I will deffinately be down for this one!

Ok the ride from the Tamagawara Bashi to the top of Tomin no Mori and back is about 80km in total (I Think)

Although this is a "Beginners" ride I would suggest riders are able to maintain between 28-30km/h

The climb is a serious one but not impossible and I usually use this climb as an introduction to 1st timers due to gradient, length and sense of achievement once you reach the top. Once completed its all downhill to the river!

I'll be mashing again on the 53-11 so like I said a good ride for people interested in seeing what "REAL" riding is like in Japan.

Yep, your definition of "Beginner" and mine are not even close :D

I'd be up for this :cool: Sunday 8th would be the best but Sunday this week, Monday or Wednesday next week would also be okay.

The adult version is ramp up your transit to no less than 42-47kph, then start to ride from there. When you're bleeding from your nose just stay on the tail of the mf*er in front of you, you know you're riding. Then starts the climb and you are suddenly left alone with a 5min rule at the top. That means - piss break for the summit and if you aren't packed up - sorry charlie.

After about 100 of these, you'll know whether you hang or just hang yourself trying.

There is no mercy. Only pain, more pain, suffering, agony and then some pain for dessert. Oh yeah - then you do it again the next day. And the day after that.

I wanna see you do the 53/11 all the way to the top!

If I do then you are buying my beers and the ceramic knee replacements.

Yep, your definition of "Beginner" and mine are not even close :D

LOL riding to the shops and back doesn't constitute a ride :D

But in my eye there are 3catergory of riders.

Beginner: Someone that has a road bike and rides often, wants to improve but needs group rides for motivation and skills training.

Intermediate: Someone that trains and doesn't require motivation from group rides to go out and ride, isself competitive on climbs or distances.

Advanced: Someone who rides century rides on a regular basis, very competitive, actively trains to specifically improve cycling skills, endurance and strength

But I've taken complete novice riders out on this ride who have never done ANY climbing or century rides before and have completed it.
Basically requirements are:

• Road bike in good working order (Repair kit)
• The ability to ride just at or slightly under 30km/h
• Willing to take on a challenge and see it through to completion

More experienced riders like myself will either be out to kill themselves pushing stupid high gears or will do repeats to the back of the group and encourage riders to keep going.

There will be breaks to and from the climbs. But also the beauty of this ride is, if you decided to bail at any point its easy to get home. Bail points are anywhere along the Tamagawa river, Anywhere on route to Tomin no Mori.

It's basically a straight line route that from memory only 1 T-Junction to navigate once off the Tamagawa.

Like I said this is a Beginners ride to climbing in Japan.

LOL riding to the shops and back doesn't constitute a ride :D

Beginner: Someone that has a road bike and rides often, wants to improve but needs group rides for motivation and skills training.

Intermediate: Someone that trains and doesn't require motivation from group rides to go out and ride, isself competitive on climbs or distances.

I would put myself somewhere around here. I ride everyday but its mostly to and from school. I would say I do 150km a week just doing that but on the weekends I do 1 or 2 long rides a month. I know for a fact that I cannot climb very well but I can keep a high pace on the flats for a very long time. This ride sounds like a great intro to climbing for me!!

Sounds like a good ride. I do the Tama a lot. I'm coming off a long spell of not riding much so my stamina isn't what it was 6 months ago. In fact, during my normal commute of 40km, I felt downright weak.... :eek: ARGH. Anyway, this ride sounds like a good starter and I think I'm good for a 25 to 30 kph pace on the flats. :bike: I'm free on this Sunday (or any Sunday), then again on Wednesday of next week. If that works out, let me know. Would like to learn some new rides routes off the Tama... and a post ride beer sounds cool too.

My schedule:

Sat 30 - Probably do the HFC Sadomasochist Mt. Jimba (Wada). This would be a good warm up for a TCC 'Beginner' as it falls into the HFC 'Intermediate / Advanced' level.

Sun 1st - Kawasaki Velodrome (weather permitting)

Mon 2nd - Work

Mon 3rd - 8th Open.

Hoping to be free on Wednesday. 28-30 km/h seems about right. I love cruising along the river between 30 and 35 km/h, granted there is no wind. Not much extended climbing experience but sounds do-able and wanted to finally get out on a bit of a group ride over GW.

Just for the record the 8th is totally out for me. Wedding anniversary and me and the wife (the human one not the 2 wheeled one) ride out to the Fusanoberugoya for lunch and then back again. Bit of a tradition for us.

I will post up what day is best for me

I absolutely would be interested in this. I've got one fairly flat 80k under my belt, but I'd like to do more. I'm clear on 4/5/6/ and maybe 8 for a ride. The sooner a date gets set, the more likely 8 is ok.

Tim 8th is impossible for me,Its a no go, can't do it!

Back
Top Bottom