Going compact, chain length question

saibot

Maximum Pace
May 29, 2012
Taito
Maybe a bit silly question since there are numerous ways figure out the correct chain length (big ring to big ring etc.)

But of pure curiosity, when going from a Double (53-39) to a compact (50-34) crankset (same cassette) is there a default set of links you should remove?

saibot

Maximum Pace
May 29, 2012
Taito
It would be perfect timing to start using a new chain, new chainring = new chain
That might be true… but only got about 500km on this chain, should be able to squeeze out a few more km right?
The same though has crossed my mind but a chain pin is cheaper though :)

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Ok I have found the magic number to be 53 links - when I say magic number its because I switch cranks out depending on ride and 53 links will cover a 53/39 and a 50/34 with 11-28 cassette.

However this is on a Pinarello and my Champion System team bike - the stay lengths might be slightly different to yours.

Park Tools has a very good write up on the subject -

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing

Oh and if you only have 500km on the chain keep it!

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I do this all the time - it almost always requires 3 links when I go from a STD (53/39) to a COMPACT (50/34) - however that is ALSO going from a 12-25 cassette (STD) to 11-28 (COMPACT) setup. On my current setup I can go either way with no issues in length. (36/52) The Ultegra or DA derailers will handle more teeth than they claim. And if you sacrifice the 'little little' combo - the 'big big' runs just fine even with the widest spread (in my case a 52/30, 36/11). So - probably very close to what FE is running since our chainstays are exactly the same length. If you have it centered - then you probably don't need to add or subtract at all. Only if you want to optimize it perfectly - then it's only a couple links (or generally 3, in my experience).

saibot

Maximum Pace
May 29, 2012
Taito
Thanks for the replys guys!

I cut the chain and did the "Big-Big" thing. Ended up removing one inner and one outer link. Don't really know how your suppose to count them but you have to always remove even number of links to be able to reconnect, maybe that counts as one link I guess

Tomorrow I get to try out the new wheels, cranks, pedals, saddle and shoes at the same time, it's like christmas ;-)