What's new

Go Pro helmet cam Video

EricinIkebukuro

Speeding Up
Jan 30, 2011
SO I got a message from John to put of the video I took from a Boso ride that we did a while back and although I haven't finished editing it, I am working on it. For the moment I have the video of my JCRC race ready. Please don't pay attention for the stupid commentary I made, that was for my parents who don't know a thing about bikes. I'm pretty sure my commentary isn't accurate either...

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=WUXFVE8U

BTW does anyone know how to embed videos? I tried putting in the code between the HTML code things in the editor but it didnt work. I need someone computer savy

Ahhhh it was working earlier..... ok Im gonna re-upload it and hope it all works

I get the wonky pop up ikedawilliams sees.

Looking forward to seeing how this looks. Is this the one you mount on the stem? I've been thinking to do something similar. Not really to see how slow I am, but more just to have (like how many taxis are getting forward facing cameras)

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=WUXFVE8U

BTW does anyone know how to embed videos? I tried putting in the code between the HTML code things in the editor but it didnt work. I need someone computer savy

Suspect it is perfectly do-able, but either needs to be enabled or some minor work done to allow a YouTube (or similar) link to show up embedded. A good one for the Update & Feedback section for sure!

I looked at vimeo but the upload allowance for a free account is too small. Mega video works but for some reason the video isnt working after the upload.

Stupid question maybe, but genuinely curious: why not YouTube?

YouTube will let me upload it all at once if I verify my account. When I go through the steps to do so it asks for my phone email to mail me a code. I give them my code but they say it's not valid for some reason. I agree if YouTube worked I would have used it!

Ok the video is working now!!! PLease leave me some comments here! What could I have done better or what did I do right. I would like feedback so I can improve!!!

I think you already recognised yourself what you should watch out for. I'd say that even when you think you are letting others do the work up front, you are actually not enjoying much of their draft. You keep a lot of distance to others and you are rarely straight behind someone, let alone more than one rider. This ends up costing you energy.

Having said so, you have definitely proven you have lots of raw energy! If you put that to better use in future races, you will do very well.

BTW, the slope past that little hill is maybe 1%, certainly not 5%... You will notice the difference when you do your first hill climb race!

The pace lining skills of X class riders are scary. I'm glad you survived without a crash in one of those curves.

Watched it and thought it was very interesting. Never raced before and wanted to know what it was like and with that commentary, I think I got a good feel for it. Thanks for sharing.

Nice video Eric,

I actually really enjoyed the commentary!

You did the right thing to move up towards the front early.

After that first left hand corner, you put in a dig that saw you in second position. The same was true on the same corner on the second lap. Each time with the Nalsima guy in front. If you wanted to break away, that would have been the place to do it. Go alone and I'm sure he (and probably the orange guy and the young guy) would have followed.

Your positioning was good if you were sniffing out that kind of move. If you wanted to be in the sprint at the end, you should have been in 10 ~ 15 position. Tucked in tighter. Cruising in the draft.

When the guys came past you on the second climb, they were'nt stronger or faster, just fresher.

An impressive ride though. Was that really your first race? You'll knock 'em dead next year!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Hey Eric.

Indeed nice video. Really nice to see a "first race". Reminds me a bit of mine a few years back, made nearly all the same mistakes.

BTW, the slope past that little hill is maybe 1%, certainly not 5%... You will notice the difference when you do your first hill climb race!
I can only concur with that.

Now to comment on your race.
The first race is always the rush to the starting line. On this lap it was not crucial and the fact that the field is limited to only 60 starters helps a lot. But on a small crit lap with tight corners you might get dropped even if you could have ridden with the bunch because some other rider in front of you couldn't follow anymore.
As already said, you are leaving too much space while drafting, never leave a gap more than one meter or you'll be wasting too much energy. But that will improve as you get used to riding in a field. But try to check that regularly.
And you are leaving gaps in the corners. Although there is not one tight corner you always lose a few meters or few places when the placings are more contested. Again you are spending too much energy to regain these positions on the straights. Just follow the wheel of the rider in front of you, you have to trust him to steer correctly through the corner. Look onto his rear brake for that. And if he crashes there is nothing you can do about that anyway. This is an experience and confidence thing as well.
And as you said in your commentary, you thought the acceleration after the last left turn would be faster which made you end up as the first. So far okay. But now you neither pulled through nor dropped back. Decide, try something or nothing, but don't spend time in the wind with the whole bunch at your wheel. Always ask yourself 'Why am I in the wind?". Because
-I am in a break and we take turns
-I have to work because of team tactics
-I have to show presence because it's the home race and the sponsor demands it
-I want to impress a girl
If you cannot answer one of these reasons with yes, get out as fast as possible.
But I believe you could have made it away if two or three strong riders joined you. The skill in the X race, I would guess from what I have read, varies over a broad range. So an organised case would be highly unlikely if a good group gets away.

EDIT:
Right, I forgot. As you noticed yourself, you have to work on your peak performance. During the not so contested phases you had no problem sprinting up towards the front, but once the gauntlet was thrown you were easily dropped. A race might go two hours but be decided in a few seconds. But it will get better the more races you have ridden. Be confident. (=

Some critique for you, so take it how you want.

The boxing in on the final straight was completely your fault, the senior riders were exactly where they should have been and your move taking him right on the inside almost in the verge was incredibly dangerous putting you and him in a lot of danger.

Next time over take on the right if it means hitting the brakes and then going around so be it, the fact that you were already overtaking different classes should have been your cue to move to the oppersite side of the road and if you watch the video again you'll see other X-class riders gain a lot of places doing just that.

Right now its not an issue as its all a learning process but you might find yourself getting "Bumped" off the road if you tried that stunt in a higher class or the JBCF.

A certain young rider got bumped as he tried not only to undertake but also squeeze in to the peloton last year at Kawagoe. So just be aware of etiquete and safety next race.

Braking...... your braking is pretty poor and I notice that you constantly use both brakes. If you are just moderating speed like you were in the corners just use your front brake as you keep yo-yoing which again burns energy, something that won't be in huge supply when you move up to A or B class and racing Shuzenji or Gunma.

Apart from wwhat others have mentioned not a bad effort!

Also the race is called "The Tour Du Japon" not "The Tour of Japan" which is a UCI 2.2 race and very, very different. Make sure you get it right on your palmares ;)

EDIT:
Right, I forgot. As you noticed yourself, you have to work on your peak performance. During the not so contested phases you had no problem sprinting up towards the front, but once the gauntlet was thrown you were easily dropped. A race might go two hours but be decided in a few seconds. But it will get better the more races you have ridden. Be confident. (=

Very true and once you get in the higher classes it becomes even more so, stages such as Gunma or Shuznji will really test your endurance and then sprinting powers and the ability to either jump on a breakaway or to take control of the peloton and chase a brake down is essential and then have the reserves to make the final sprint to the line.

Yeah, that was very interesting.

I think we should all make an effort to record races / rides like this, and give each-other feedback. The possibilities to go really detailed in critique and advice are superb.

Interesting to read the experienced guys thoughts on the racing. I know next to nothing about all this, so am soaking up the info like a sponge. Keep it coming!

Successful break-aways don't happen at Saiko. Just look at the results of every year and every class.

So I would not worry about either trying to break away or chasing a break-away myself. Both is a waste of energy.

Successful break-aways don't happen at Saiko. Just look at the results of every year and every class.

So I would not worry about either trying to break away or chasing a break-away myself. Both is a waste of energy.

Speaks the truth.... might happen in S-Class if Anchor would stop messing around.

Back
Top Bottom