What's new

gnitset? gnitset?

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Uoy wonk, I saw dnik fo gnirednow fi enoyna ereh reve deirt gnitirw sdrawkcab?

Ti steg reisae retfa a elttil ecitcarp, tros fo...

On, I t'nevah neeb gnikinrd (oot hcum) reeb..., esiwrehto I t'ndluoc od siht.

(Yako, ebyam tsuj a elttil)

Ym rehtom ecno etorw em na eritne rettel ekil siht. (a dnah-nettirw rettel) S'ti reh yadhtrib, yadot.

Ni gnivol yromem,

Nhoj D.

:)

Oh my!

I was going to tell you to lay off the sauce on a school night, but managed to stumble through and read what you wrote.

Pretty impressive if you just typed it out like that....

Let me guess, this mental exercise helps you focus while cycling. :)

S'taht yrev evisserpmi!

If you`re interested in backwards stuff (sorry can`t be bothered writing backwards) then the Adventure game on BBC had a backwards speaking character. I`m sure you can find some episodes on Youtube if you look.

Rongad (series 3 & 4, played by Bill Homewood), because he was Australian, spoke English backwards and could only understand the contestants if they did the same. His Australian accent was a mild clue to help the contestants realise he was speaking backwards. Noted for habitually singing Waltzing Matilda in reverse, and exclamations of "Doog yrev!" when the contestants did well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventure_Game

As you know music, then you are probably aware of it, but if not, backwards writing does crop up from time to time, e.g. Bach`s Crab Canon from the Musical Offering. Sing forwards whilst playing backwards (or vice versa) - good musicianship practice!
This youtube link has the manuscript.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ykl2tJwZM

I could never understand the strange Japanese concept of "speaking backwards" in which the pronunciation is not reversed, only the katakana / hiragana letters... If you were to tape it and play it backwards, it would still be totally unintelligible.

Hmm, this thread is pretty off topic, maybe it should get locked or something?

But...mr sikochi: in music backwards is often very possible, as your tube link demonstrates. Upside down is another tactic. And for neither, try the Elliot Carter quartets.

As a once-upon-a-time linguist, things from back slang to (pre-computer) cryptography have always been interesting.

And my mountain goat: (desperately trying to channel my inner Picasso/Dr. Frankenstein)

I ordered a bunch of parts for the bike that I'm putting together. I've had to do some triage, and have eliminated many appealing choices, but hey, at some point ya gotta choose. The driveline will be deore XT 3x10 (dyna-sys), with downtube shifters and cinelli mash bars. Will have to see how much space there is on either side of the stem, but besides brake levers stuffed in the bar-ends, I might add some tektro levers up top.

Pics in a couple weeks...

When I was at primary school there was a TV programme they showed us (in school) called Look and Read. One of the stories "The Boy From Space" involved said Boy arriving on earth and nobody could understand his writing, until they happened to see it in a mirror where it was revealed as reversed writing.
I still remember it as (at the time) the whole story was deeply sinister and scary!

As you know music, then you are probably aware of it, but if not, backwards writing does crop up from time to time, e.g. Bach`s Crab Canon from the Musical Offering. Sing forwards whilst playing backwards (or vice versa) - good musicianship practice!

Yeh, the Stone Roses' Don't Stop was based on Waterfall played backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDHBA-IV0Ew

Sounds great too!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

But...mr sikochi: in music backwards is often very possible, as your tube link demonstrates. Upside down is another tactic. And for neither, try the Elliot Carter quartets.

Yes, we used to have to do a four part (if I remember correctly) canon that was upside down and backwards. Such fun... No mention of retrograde inversions though please. Don`t know Elliot Carter`s work, so will have to check it out.

Yeh, the Stone Roses' Don't Stop was based on Waterfall played backwards.

I think they`re down for Fuji Rock this year. I did see John Squire`s replacement guitarist (Aziz) one time with Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce.

PS: Forget to say, you mentioned Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot on your blog a while ago. One of my favourite albums; saw them 4 or 5 times before Mark Linkous`s sad ending.

Back
Top Bottom