What's new

Giro de Hotaka and Hillclimb

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
I was really saddened to hear about the passing away of Kodama san recently. He was a cycling pioneer who created so many wonderful bike events in Japan. Most big hill climbs like Norikura, Kusatsu, Yatsugatake, Utsukushigahra etc. were started by him. He was really into bringing bike racing into local communities that could benefit from it.

I got a mail today to say that one of his events, Hotaka, will be run after a 3 year absence. I know this was a popular one with TCC.

Details can be found here:

http://owlet.biz/

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

I'm so sorry to hear about Kodama-san's passing away! What a loss. His name will always be remembered - at least among many TCCers - for his "village hillclimb series" and foremost the Giro de Hotaka. I do look forward to the TCC participating in the Giro, although November 6 is quite close.

Thanks for posting this, Andy.

PS: Here's a link to the race info (PDF).

That is really a sad news. I never met Kodama-San in person but I heard from Tom about him and I attended the Gito de Hotaka four or five years ago. By adding hill climbs and uncomplicated, easy to get in, races he really made a great contribution to the Japanese cycling scene.

The Giro de Hotaka is a nice race and can only be recommended to attend.

I'm quite interested to sign on for this. However - I don't have transpo (car) to make the starting point - if anyone wishes to carpool , please let me know. I'd be interested in doing both the HC and the RR, btw. And if any other TTC'ers want to team up proper for this please let me know!

This is a very scenic course, highly recommended (and of course easy to do even without a race).

Tim, you go by shinkansen to Jomo Kogen Saturday morning, ride to the village for a warm up, do the hill climb right away, stay in the village, then do the race the next morning, and finally return again to Jomo Kogen by bike. Should make for a good weekend.

This is a very scenic course, highly recommended (and of course easy to do even without a race).

Tim, you go by shinkansen to Jomo Kogen Saturday morning, ride to the village for a warm up, do the hill climb right away, stay in the village, then do the race the next morning, and finally return again to Jomo Kogen by bike. Should make for a good weekend.

Thanks for the race info Andy and train info Ludwig. I'm very interested in this one but definitely by train. Last time it took forever to get there by car! They have 2 person packages on that website for 19,000 yen/person including entry to both events, accommodation with 2 meals. Very reasonable!

Be a good motivation to get out on the bike and train:D Anyone else interested?

I would love to finally join this event, but I need to secure necessary funds (or a good sponsor) first :) Hopefully, things will sort out before the application deadline.

How do you know your starting time? Do people start in the order of sign-up or can you select a preferred start time?

Would think the hill climb TT is just a rolling start time (i.e. whenever you cross the line). The next day I guess it's at most a matter of a few minutes difference if they have different groups. The fields will break apart quickly - quite some climbing early on.

Thanks Ludwig! Exactly the info I was looking for. Any intel on the road race support? Will they provide refreshment zone? Neutral support? Or do we need to take care of ourselves. TIA.

Of course I'm interested in riding as part of a group - but would like similar skill and don't want to hold anyone back - though - if there's a 'Team Category' I don't mind playing role of gregario.

Definitely want to do this. The 19,000 package (+1,000 yen for a single room) can apply to a whole team. I called the organizers and was told that if we all specify TCC on our entries, they will apply the package price and group us in the same lodging. Shall we start sending our entries?

As far as getting there, it is a 4 hour drive (from my place) vs. a 6,800 one way train trip that only takes 2 hours, plus a 34km approach with 900m of climbing.

Not sure which appeals more, since car-pooling would definitely work out cheaper.

Any intel on the road race support? Will they provide refreshment zone? Neutral support? Or do we need to take care of ourselves. TIA.

Tim,
If it's run the same way as previously, there are 3 food/water stations around the course with bananas, energy bars, energy drink etc. I don't think there is any technical support so if you have a mechanical you have to fix it yourself, as in MTB racing. There may be a broom wagon to pick up any terminal failures but I'm not sure about that. First aid support is present.

AW.

Definitely want to do this. The 19,000 package (+1,000 yen for a single room) can apply to a whole team. I called the organizers and was told that if we all specify TCC on our entries, they will apply the package price and group us in the same lodging. Shall we start sending our entries?

As far as getting there, it is a 4 hour drive (from my place) vs. a 6,800 one way train trip that only takes 2 hours, plus a 34km approach with 900m of climbing.

Not sure which appeals more, since car-pooling would definitely work out cheaper.

Pucci, am I understanding right...we just have to send the entry forms with the 19k yen package and the race organisers will book the accommodation?
AW.

I was also playing with the thought of joining esp. if we could make it a group effort, but I have a work event Friday and Saturday, so it's not really possible unless somebody has a helicopter to spare to airlift me in Saturday night.

Hmm, there seems to be a spare 105 on sitting on top of the Yotsuya Fire Station <tempted>

I was also playing with the thought of joining esp. if we could make it a group effort, but I have a work event Friday and Saturday, so it's not really possible unless somebody has a helicopter to spare to airlift me in Saturday night.

Pucci, am I understanding right...we just have to send the entry forms with the 19k yen package and the race organisers will book the accommodation?
AW.

That's what I was told. We just need to specify Team Name = TCC on the entries. That's IF more than one of us registers, since the package is for two or more entries.

Aaron

We are in!

Naomi's and my race entry accepted!

We're going for the "Package Deal" accommodation and have put TCC on the entry forms. Really looking forward to this one!

AW.

Alright, family event has been rescheduled, free to go! :)

I have just sent my application for both the HC and the Giro. Has there been any consent on the transportation? Will you all be going Friday night or Saturday evening?

Just sent my app for both races. Still haven't figured out how best to go...

I'm in!

Despite being off the bike for over two months (or is it three?) I've decided to enter this one. I will no doubt bonk terribly about midway through the race, but should be fun anyway. Hmm, 9 days to get into form!

Anyone worked out how best to get there?

Back
Top Bottom