What's new

Official Ride Giro de Hotaka 2012

Heard the news. Congratulations to Gunnar and Naomi for their victories!

Likewise, and to Alan for the 2nd place...TCC well represented on those podiums.

Rode up to Hotaka on Friday afternoon with Gunnar. After we passed Maebashi, we could see very dark ominous clouds over in the direction we were going. At Numata, light rain began to fall, and by the time we got to the place the race would start, it was just about 0C, with a mix of snow and freezing rain coming down.

We decided to get on the bikes and do a little recon anyways, which started/ended in the wet, and also finished in the dark. If these weather conditions persisted, it would be an uncomfortable race.

After the onsen and back at the accommodations, we met Alan, Naomi, Aaron and Tanaka-san. Alan and Naomi had done a full recon of the course (in a car) and shared the disturbing news with us that the highest peak was covered with snow, and cars were having a difficult time making it over the pass.

The organizers modified the course to remove the higher peak. It suited me because there were a lot of fast downhill sections, including right from the start, and we did not climb up some of the steeper pitches.

Next morning, started the race in 1C light rain, that turned into snow at the highest elevation on the course. We thought the race was going to start neutralized because the road was covered with leaves/water/etc. However, the marshall on the bike just took off. I jumped into 2nd place behind Gunnar and pushed it hard for the 1st 10km downhill, so I could build up a cushion prior to the start of the main climb.

As we started to climb, Gunnar took off and I could not keep up with him. After about 20km, 3 climbers caught me, including Alan. I jumped on, but only for a few hundred meters, as that pace would have hurt me badly. About a kilometer later, another rider caught me dropping me to 6th. Luckily I could catch up to him on the flatter sections, after losing time on the steeper uphill sections. Approaching the first turnaround I was about 10 seconds behind him.

After the 1st turnaround, I pushed hard on the downhill again, and soon made up 1 spot. I stayed in 5th spot up until around 60km when 3 guys passed my on the 1st climb up to the tunnel.

In my rush to get ready, I had not carried any food, and after about 2:10 minutes of riding, climbing to the tunnel, I started to bonk. Luckily I made it over, and at the 2nd turnaround I could get some inari sushi which helped fuel me until the end.

After the 2nd turnaround, going up to the tunnel again, I was having trouble to get my hr up and my legs felt like lead. 3 more people passed me on the climb and I could not respond.

Next was the quick descent and turning on to the final climb I saw two riders ahead of me. I was surprised at the pace I was catching them. As I got closer I thought I had not seen them before. They told me they gave up and were taking a shortcut to the goal, so I told them to take their numbers off.

Continuing on, one guy (wearing no leggings) came past me and I jumped on. I was glued to his wheel for the final 4km, matching all of his accelerations. With about 800m to go, another guy came flying by us, and I had nothing left to chase him down. I rode the first guy's wheel until the last 200m steep section, and with 100m to go, jumped, he swore and could not get on, finishing about 5 seconds behind me.

Finished in 3:19:55 which was good enough for 12th overall and 5th in the 40-50's age category.

Congratulations to Gunnar and Naomi for their victories, and Alan for 2nd place.

Congratulations everyone! Where are the podium pics? :)

Congratulations to all, and especially to Gunnar and Naomi for the victory.

Thanks to Doug for the report. I really want to try this event next year ...

Still cannot believe that I won this thing. The stars really aligned themselves for me. Will be back next year at this superb event to try and defend my title fair and square:rolleyes:. Hopefully it will be slightly warmer so we can do the full course, although without snow/rain I will loose any advantage descending.
Thanks Alan and Naomi for the pre-race training and strategic info as well as setting me up with the nice pension. And Doug for driving us up there and back. Plus Tim for setting me up with the fastest wheels.
If I have time, I might try to get a more detailed report out, but basically it was start to finish with me and the pacer, so there is not too much exciting to share, except how I felt at specific points in the race, e.g. the loneliness of the long distance runner. Let me just state again, that this is one of the best events in Japan.

Congratulations everyone! :clap:

Wow, what a great result for TCC! Well done everyone especially the two winners, Naomi and Gunner! Fantastic stuff:D

Great report everyone! Gunnar's results really made feel especially good as we just threw the kitchen sink at his bike literally the day before! But a couple good luck pieces I think helped a bit:

1) I set him up with a new wheelset we're selling - it has 4 bearing front hub and 9x asymetric ring rear hub with 2:1 lacing. laced up are Pillar 1423 and 1432 extras - as I wanted stiff and responsive on rear, and little more mass up front. Tubular, of course, 20mm width x 38mm deep.

2) I rode this wheelset in testing, and in fact used it on the Nichitsu ride with Pete and gang. Nothing changed. Just a brief spoke check. The wheels roll very fast and there is literally no take-up lag on the rear wheel so when manouvering to attack or jump, you get instant pedal-to-ground contact.

3) Tires are Vittoria Open Corsa CX tubulars. These ahve been ridden a bit - maybe total of 200km and nicely scuffed off. Glued and taped for race duty. I suggested a little lower than 8bar due the weather and wider rim will easily support. This allows for more compliance across higher speed cornering. Gunnar drives into the corners hard and this combo gives a super smooth and progressive suspension. Basically drifting through corners on these wheels is no hassle whatsoever, the wheelset 'steps out' gracefully and predicably.

4) On the brakes I slapped on some new Alligator - very econo pads from Taiwan we're trying. They match well with basalt rims and give very smooth and even modulation without any grabbing. For race, you don't really need max stopping power - just well modulated speed control. I guess they worked pretty good for this event.

5) Last but not least, Gunnar grabbed the first cassette laying around and it was, ahem, mine! So instead of his 11-28 (??) he got the 12-30 DA/Hybrid I made up for Haute Route. I don't think you need less than 12 and I don't like losing the 16T (which this has) plus the 30 does come in handy now and then when you need a bailout or just want to Andy Schleck it sur le plaque!

Obviously the main cred goes to Gunnar for riding a super race! Everything just seemed to work out the right way!

Back
Top Bottom