What's new

Official Ride Giro de Hotaka 2008 (29th TCC Tour)

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Hello all!
Here is the mail I received from Mr. Kodama regarding this year's Hotaka races:

Hello !
We (The Committee of Hotaka Hill-Climb) have started to make a list of the next bicycle events.
We will hold two events; "12th Hotaka Hill-Climb" and "Giro de HOTAKA 2008 " The former held 8 Nov. is Japanese style Hill-Climb race and the route is not so long(8.5Km) but has a 22% upward slope. Many riders tried to pass through (ride up) this slope in last year's events but many were made to walk. Recently, as they (the walkers) have been studying gear ratio; but 50 to 60% of the riders made it up without walking.
The latter (Giro) held on 9 Nov. is a long distance (122Km) bicycle race,
the route has 3 climbs of 2080m in total altitude. In the last race the fastest player took 3 hours 58 minutes. We will take delight in expecting a new record.
You can apply in our site: www.ne.jp/asahi/bicycle/race/
We hope you to can take part in these races with your many bicycle friends and to enjoy it very much.
I am looking forward to the race.
Best regards

H Kodama
Chief director
The Committee of Hotaka Hill-Climb

Having gone in last year's race, I can definitely say that there will be quite a few who wish to make a challenge of this one for a second time:
AlanW, TOM, Mike, Aaron (Pucci), Thomas, m o b, ..... and as for myself, I think this might give me good reason to "jump back into the fray"!

I've taken it on myself to make this an "Official" ride, as I'm sure that within the next few months, the numbers will probably double over last year.
It really is a great weekend!
See you there!
T

-------------------------------------Disclaimer from TCC--------------------------------------
[in Japanese 日本語]
以下の内容に同意の上、オフィシャルツアーにご参加ください。

---------------オフィシャルツアー参加規約---------------
東京サイクリングクラブ(TCC)は、オフィシャルツアーにおいて発生する事故・怪我・損害等について一切責任を負いません。すべて参加者の自己責任において処理・対応をお願いします。対人・対物の事故が発生した場合も、事故の相手との交渉・対応等は全て事故を起こした方ご本人が行ってください。
上記内容に同意いただけない場合は参加をお断りいたします。

Sora

Will you be riding on both days Travis?

I'm very tempted to have a shot at these.

Some TCC members still have to settle an account with Hotaka... hope there will be more road marshalls this year. I think TCC should participate in both events like last year.

Travis,

Thanks for pointing out the event. I liked the race very much last year. And I didn't lost the way.

This year the race is scheduled at the same day as the Tour du Japon race in Saiko, which is my personal highlight of the season. I attended every year since 2003 and I would like to go there this year again. Just like Peter said once, this is one of the few races where guys like us have a chance to finish well.

Looks like I will not be able to join you in this one - Okinawa 50km race will be held on 8th Nov.
Good luck to all who will participate in this!

Giro !

I'm up for the Giro.....the hill climb ain't my scene really.....

chazzer

I'm very tempted to try and challenge the Giro. I have a found new confidence after changing to a compact crank.;)

Please count me in as a definite. I think.

Arrgh, schedule clashes! Been wanting to do this since reading the accounts last year, but have also had my eye on the Saiko race since Pete told me about it. Decisions, decisions... :(

Sounds good

I might be up for this as well, but it all depends on a business trip that may happen around the same time in November.

Travis, is it easy to get to? It appears to be in Gunma-ken.

Keren

Hotaka Baby!!! Yeah!

I'm in again but only for the Giro this time. While the sat hill climb is on I hope to do an easy spin around some of the Giro course. Anyone driving? I would love a lift as I certainly don't want to ride there or back:D

p.s Alan, you should come back just for the weekend!

Update!

Hello all!
Thanks for your responses so far!

This is IMPORTANT information for those who are seriously intending to take part in these races:

I have been in contact with the race co-ordinator, Mr. Kodama, and he is very much looking forward to a large turn-out from as many "TCC" members as possible.

So far, the list is as follows:

(OK) Travis
(OK) Tom
(OK) Lee
(OK) Thomas
(OK) Charles
(OK) Pete
(OK) Phil
(*) Keren ?
(OK) Mike
(OK) Nobu
(OK) Shinobu
(OK) AlanW
(OK) Naomi
(OK) Deej
(*) Simon
(*) Undecided

If your name is on the above list with an asterisk (*) beside it, PLEASE SEND ME YOUR SURNAME via PM!
*NB: This is not for registration! This is for ACCOMMODATION.

I will mail Mr. Kodama, and tell him that we have 16 "definites" (even though there are still 2 undecided positions left open.)! It is possible that we may all be able to stay in the same place, but it's also possible that we will need to be split into two groups staying at different accommodation – ie. 8 people in each "minshuku".

*As for the registration, you will all need to do that individually on the following web-sites:
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/bicycle/race/
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/bicycle/race/indexe.htm

Also, when signing up, please make it very clear that you are with "TCC"! This will aid in getting us all into the same accommodation ( Bed & Breakfast style) – This is also why I need the surnames of those above with the (*) – so that I can co-ordinate the details with Mr. Kodama…
>Keren: Let me know if you get that all important spousal permission.

As for the remaining 2 positions, these are open to anyone! First in, best dressed!

For any potential riders who still wish to join after all these positions are taken, that shouldn't be a problem – except that you may have to sleep in a different minshuku, surrounded by strangers.
Please post or PM any questions!
Rubber Down!
Travis

A little more time

Hi Travis,

Thanks for doing this. I will confirm by the end of this week. It is not just my work, I also have to convince the wife. She is (probably rightly) getting a bit pissed of at all my weekends away for races and training. Next month I will be away on two weekends, so I need to be a little sneeky with my race planning. :pray:

Will get back to you.

Keren

Accommodation

Travis - when we apply should we say Accommodation Required - "Yes" or "No".

"No" meaning that you are arranging on behalf of everyone ?

Thanks,

chazzer

Signed up...

for the Giro on the Sunday. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Am I reading that profile right, by the way? 28 km of straight climbing right at the beginning of the course?? Heck...

Giro-nimo!

Travis, I just PM'd you about wanting to be added to the "definites" list.

The question is, should I do both events or just one. I'm afraid that the hill climb would wipe me out for the giro. What do you think, oh experienced ones?

Deej

The question is, should I do both events or just one. I'm afraid that the hill climb would wipe me out for the giro. What do you think, oh experienced ones?

Great question Deej, my thoughts exactly. Both races appeal to me, and if I go I think I might race the hill climb and then just cruise the Giro. Enjoy the scenery and all that.

Keren

Travis, I just PM'd you about wanting to be added to the "definites" list.

Deej

I found that the hillclimb didn't really have any effect on the Giro in terms of performance. The hillclimb is such a short, sharp shock and over in a few minutes, it felt like I used different muscles compared to the Giro the next day. Plus there's plenty of time to recover. Go for both!

Up up and away!

Am I reading that profile right, by the way? 28 km of straight climbing right at the beginning of the course?? Heck...

Yes, you are right. There's a few km of downhill, then 28km of constant climbing. It hurts. But the final climb hurts more.

Back
Top Bottom