What's new

Giro 2010

Evans in the pink...

...though I'm not sure how it happened. Absolute crash-fest the last 40km of racing, bit surprising anyone managed to weave past all the mangled carbon frames to the finish. Crazy course layout, though par for the course for the Giro, I guess. :D

...though I'm not sure how it happened. Absolute crash-fest the last 40km of racing, bit surprising anyone managed to weave past all the mangled carbon frames to the finish. Crazy course layout, though par for the course for the Giro, I guess. :D

Made Friendly Park at Shimofusa look like a wide and safe course...
Was looking for Evans in the last 30km and couldn't see him anywhere....same with McEwen...

Vinokourov looking hungry for this...

Stage
1 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Transitions 4:56:46
2 Matthew Harley Goss (Aus) Team HTC - Columbia
3 Fabio Sabatini (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo
4 André Greipel (Ger) Team HTC - Columbia
5 Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini
6 Christopher Sutton (Aus) Sky Professional Cycling Team
7 Robbie Mcewen (Aus) Team Katusha
8 Graeme Brown (Aus) Rabobank

Brief General Classification after stage 2
1 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 5:07:09
2 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Transitions 0:00:01
3 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 0:00:03
4 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Saxo Bank
5 David Millar (GBr) Garmin - Transitions 0:00:04
6 Jos Van Emden (Ned) Rabobank 0:00:07
7 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:00:08
8 Tom Stamsnijder (Ned) Rabobank 0:00:09

Anyone know here we can watch this on the net? Last year I really enjoyed it...

Anyone know here we can watch this on the net? Last year I really enjoyed it...

Same here, last year I was always pulling myself together until a kind soul uploaded the stages one day after they were raced to the pirate bay. It was pitiful, but it made the fight between Basso and Deluca even more exciting.

This year the site steephill.tv seems to have links to more and better looking live streams than last year. When they happen to be in a foreign language, you can still mute the audio and tune in to audio only commentary in another window.

Tonights stage is actually going through known territory for me, when they will be racing towards Middelburg. It's completely flat and I haven't spend a day there that wasn't windy.

Also the mountain TT is going to be a compressed display of pain if there ever was. Oh, the joy:rolleyes:

It's completely flat and I haven't spend a day there that wasn't windy.

Cool--sometimes, the supposed transition/sprinters' stages can be the most exciting days of a stage race if the peloton gets torn by a crosswind...

...and torn it was, lots of action again. Wiggins lost loads of time in the crash and his Giro must be over now(?), Evans showed some gutsy riding trying to limit his own losses (good thing he switched teams so he'd have more support :rolleyes:), and Greipel lost his leadout's wheel for the second day in a row... Stage racing in Holland turned out to be a lot more entertaining than I excepted...

I hope Vino, is not in pink at the end of this race...

1 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 10:07:18
2 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Saxo Bank
3 David Millar (GBr) Garmin - Transitions 0:00:01
4 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:00:05
5 Marcel Sieberg (Ger) Team HTC - Columbia 0:00:07
6 Matthew Goss (Aus) Team HTC - Columbia 0:00:10
7 Andre Greipel (Ger) Team HTC - Columbia
8 Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Team Milram 0:00:12
9 Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone 0:00:15
10 Pieter Weening (Ned) Rabobank 0:00:1

24 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:43
113 Yukiya Arashiro (Jpn) Bbox Bouygues Telecom 0.09:13

Hopefully, he'll lose it the next stage (although perhaps not for good). The TTT gives Millar and Garmin a good chance to wear it for a day or two.

sugoisugiruuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Arashiro's unselfish riding won that stage...
Had he not gone for it the other 2 were going to give it up....
Great stuff!

Good for Japan!

17:02 CEST

So close, but they won't make it.

17:03 CEST

ARashiro goes for the spring with 300 metres.

17:03 CEST

They make it! Pineau takes the win!

17:04 CEST

Fouchard was second and Arashiro third, with the peloton very close on their heels.

17:04 CEST

Hm, the peloton wasn't really all that close....

17:05 CEST

Who would ever have thought the three leaders would stay away until the end? And it really couldn't have been much closer

That was pretty exciting. Thought for sure they were going to get caught but the pull by Arashiro over the last 1km helped keep them away. J-Sports guys went nuts... :happy:

Had there been 3 Europeans they would have all been greedy and got swamped in the last 100m.
Yukiya will have a legion of Italian fans and more after last night.

Agreed,

It's all about the passion, the fatalistic attacks that are doomed. But if they do succeed the riders receive eternal glory in Italy, this is how bike races should be and why many think that radios in grand tours should be scrapped.

Is it just me (I started following grand tours ~1-2 years ago), or any of you fellow GT fans also think that the Giro course is quite crazy this year, especially the number of climbs and their gradient?

I really enjoy following the battles in the mountains, but come on! even if they are pros they are still humans, right?
Stage 15 - 3980 m. of ascent
Stage 19 - 4640 m. of ascent
Stage 20, almost the end of Giro, when everybody is tired - 6320 meters of climbing!!!

How is this going to influence the riders performance? Will we witness a race where everybody bonks and goes up at 5 km/h (and 5.5 km/h when attacking)?

Aren't the organizers getting too carried away?

Some more details:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/up-and-away-detailing-the-2010-giro-ditalias-mountains

Pete, you must be loving this Giro so far...

# Rider Name (Country) Team Result
1 Matthew Lloyd (Aus) Omega Pharma-Lotto
2 Rubens Bertogliati (Swi) Androni Giocattoli
3 Danilo Hondo (Ger) Lampre-Farnese Vini

Sergey, I think the Giro has a reputation for being the wacky younger brother of the Tour, course selection always seems to have something eccentric about it (not that I've been following for years either)... Remember last year when the racers staged a protest about the course selections?

The inclusion of the Zoncolon does make this year's race particularly mad. Maybe they're overcompensating for flat Holland on the first 3 days.

Still, I wonder too if it's always been like this historically?

Yeah, and that stage 20. My bet is that everyone's going to be so pooped there'll barely be any action at all, kind of llike Ventoux (was it?) in the Tour last year, when no one had the gas to change anything GC-wise and it was all about survival.

Wow! just wow!
What a stage - this year's Giro delivers 200% so far, every day is full of excitement.

Evans wins the stage - pure power!
Vino back in pink - his riding is very impressive, attack after attack.
Real pity for Sastre...

And it's mountain top tomorrow - looking forward to see how it turns out!

(Edit: Ah, posted same time as Sergey...)

Yeah, wasn't that great? Speaking of crazy stages...thought the organizers had decided to run a cyclocross stage...

Evans' MTB skills probably came in handy...

Change that image to Black & White and you might as well be looking at a Giro Stage from the 60's or 70's.....awesome stuff!

Back
Top Bottom