What's new

getting service on a bike not purchased at shop

. . . I know Y's Road charges you extra to install any components not bought through Y's.

Y's Road gracefully gave Mr and Mrs microcord's definitely-not-bought-at-Y's-Road bikes a much needed going over. Maybe the key was that before I'd even brought in the dusty bikes I'd said that they should change whatever they judged to need changing, that I'd trust their judgment. One of a small number of changes that I knew I wanted was for the missus' machine to switch from a randonneur bar -- or "randnner", as Sakae spells it! -- to flat. When we delivered the bikes, I'd forgot all about the stem, which I'd taken out and left at home. I was asked if I had a stem; if I did, they'd be happy to reuse it. So I went home and brought it back. Much later, when I picked up Mrs microcord's freshly overhauled bike, the man at Ys made polite smalltalk about it but went out of his way to compliment the elegance of the stem. (Here's a similar one.)

Not quite sure what the moral here is, if there's a moral at all; but it can't hurt to suggest that now or later you'll buy other goodies.

Back
Top Bottom