What's new

Getting bike from ATL to Japan

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
I just pulled the trigger on a new CAAD9-5 that I'm going to bring to Japan.

I also just realized that Continental charges $100 EXTRA on top of $150 excess baggage, if the box is any bigger than a suitcase... which it will be (almost certainly).

Crap.

Any ideas on how to get a bike to Japan?

I guess it's still pretty good consolation that the CAAD9-5 costs $1000 more in Japan, and doesn't come in the color I wanted.

Its sports equipment and bikes are normally covered seperately as well. Call the airline and ask them if they have any special regulations on bike as most airlines don't charge for cycles.

If your bike is packed in a bike box the charge will not be so high. Last time I flew with Continental the upcharge to take a bike was US$80 for USA to Japan.
Check with the the airline as they all have different rules/charges. The only one I know that doesn't charge for bikes is BA, when they are not on strike.
AW.

From the Continental Website

Continental Airlines accepts a non-motorized bicycle with single seat or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked baggage. The following are bicycle restrictions:

If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is over 50 lbs (23kg) and/or 62 (157 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $100 service charge applies each way. The service charge is in addition to any excess baggage charges that may apply, but first and second baggage service fees do not apply. Bicycle equipment over 70lbs (32 kg) will not be accepted as checked baggage.

If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is under 50 lbs (23kg) and 62 (157 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but, if applicable, the first or second bag fee applies.

Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed or

All loose items must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar protective material or
Bicycle should be transported in a sealed box. If a box is needed, see the Courtesy Bags section of this site.
Continental is not liable for damage to bicycles that do not have the handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed, handlebars and pedals encased in plastic foam or similar material or bicycles not contained in a cardboard containers or hard-sided cases.

I have flown to and from the States twice in recent years with a bike for races. I was charged only once from Narita to Orlando by NWA (now Delta). It seems to depend on the agent that checks you in. Being very nice and making some jokes seems to help. But you are probably better and cheaper off bringing the bike with you then sending it by courier.

Good luck!

Keren

Thanks. That's the info I was going by, but I was trying to interpret in a way that would save me the most money.

I guess if I didn't put the bike in a case at all (...), I wouldn't have to pay anything but the Excess fee. That's...probably not the best idea with a Cannondale aluminum racing bike. Or any road bike.

I can't imagine they'd charge me extra for something that was easier to handle, and less likely to cause them an liability issue... but I just know putting it in the box would make them charge me the extra $100.

What's the smallest box you can fit a 56 cm road bike into, anyway?

Scratch that, I was just being pedantic. You have to have it in a box.

If by some chance it doesn't arrive before I leave, does anyone know what the best way to ship a bike to Japan is?

In my experience, coming from San Francisco or Oregon to Japan and back the extra charges vary a lot. Delta quoted me $350 one way, I flew with ANA and they charged me NOTHING.

and sometimes you get lucky and they don't charge you at all. Seattle to Narita on New Years morning was both cheap and they waived all extra charges.

see how much smooooze you can rub on the bike box.:cool:

By the way - if you are a Japanese resident and just happen to be outside the country and make this purchase - and then wish to ship it back to Japan and not with you - you should make sure to declare the 'unaccompanied baggage' at your arrival in Japan. Elsewise you may be liable for some hefty duties. This is another way to save money :)

I'm moving to Japan from the US. So I don't think it'll be liable for duties since it will technically be my personal belongings even if it's brand new...hehe

If the luggage is not coming with you personally then again, make sure you declare it as 'unaccompanied baggage' when you arrive in Japan. There are forms you get when you arrive at the customs. ONce you clear customs you are considered 'entered' - and its too late. Then anything arriving for you must go through formal (or informal) customs clearances and be subject to importation duties and tariffs.

GSAstuto is 100% correct (as always :rolleyes:) about 'unaccompanied baggage'. My wife works at a international moving company and if you don't declare it on entry (doesn't matter where or when you bought it), you will get hit for a lot of yen by Customs. She told me this happens a lot when expats move here.

K

Yep - cause you would be clearing all your personal baggage together. Oh, one other small thing - bring some proof of purchase (reciept) for your bike so when you are settled here in Japan you can get the bike registered by the police and supplemental insurance. Actually - you do this at most bike shops.

Back
Top Bottom