What's new

G'day!

sellian

Warming-Up
Aug 17, 2018
Hi all,

I'm moving to Tokyo in about 10 days, and really keen to ride bikes! I got into riding a few years ago to lose weight, then fell in love with it. I mainly ride road bikes but will probably be building a single speed or getting mine shipped over. I'm bringing my Colnago CLX 3.0 with me, fitted with touring wheels as at some point I'm gonna be doing a trip from Tokyo-Hiroshima, which is currently what I am training for.

I'm gonna be living in west Tokyo, on the Odakyu line. I'll be looking for people to do training rides with, I am starting to love climbing but don't have a good pace up them, usually! I also really enjoy night time adventure rides with plenty of beer stops.

Let me know if you wanna go on a ride! I have had a bit of a look at it seems like there is some weekly training rides which is cool. Is there any crit tracks in Tokyo? They are my preferred training areas, usually.

Cheers!

Charlie

Welcome to Tokyo and the TCC group. We post rides here all the time so keep checking. If you love to climb, Japan is it. Or if you don't you will learn to love it. Lots of good challenging climbing around.

Allen

I like your accent! And also on the Odakyu Line.
Japan is a wonderful place for cycling.
Only have a Brompton at the moment, so won't be riding, but based on my experience you'll meet some wonderful people through TCC.

Hi.

I live out west of Tokyo on the Odakyu near Shin-Yurigaoka. My pace tends to be slower than most so I tend to do a lot of rides alone. Once you get settled and ready for a ride, post something or DM me and I'll show you a couple rides I like in the area (mostly along the rivers... Sakaigawa, Sagami, Tsurumi or Tama). If you want to get up in the mountains, the Odakyu is a great line to live on. Takes you to the base of Yabitsu in only about 50 minutes.

Chuck

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm moving to Tokyo in about 10 days, and really keen to ride bikes! I got into riding a few years ago to lose weight, then fell in love with it. I mainly ride road bikes but will probably be building a single speed or getting mine shipped over. I'm bringing my Colnago CLX 3.0 with me, fitted with touring wheels as at some point I'm gonna be doing a trip from Tokyo-Hiroshima, which is currently what I am training for.

I'm gonna be living in west Tokyo, on the Odakyu line. I'll be looking for people to do training rides with, I am starting to love climbing but don't have a good pace up them, usually! I also really enjoy night time adventure rides with plenty of beer stops.

Let me know if you wanna go on a ride! I have had a bit of a look at it seems like there is some weekly training rides which is cool. Is there any crit tracks in Tokyo? They are my preferred training areas, usually.

Cheers!

Charlie
If you want to do crit track-like riding, you might be checking out oi futo on Sundays. Traffic is closed and lots of riders congregate there. It's a flat course that's, if I remember correctly, about 9 km. Some people go there with teams or clubs while some just form groups spontaneously. People are pretty courteous and I almost always found a group to ride with even though I always showed up alone. Just be polite, use hand signals, and take your fair share of turns at the front. The people I regularly rode with didn't like riding there because they thought it could get a bit dangerous when people didn't stop for stop lights or if people weren't used to riding in a group. I never thought it was bad, although I did occasionally see accidents. If you ride there, it's at least worth remembering to pay attention to the level of the people you're riding with. It might be a slog from Odakyu, but I figured I'd mention it.
Here's some info:
https://japantriathlon.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/biking-plan-03-oi-futo-loop-9-16km/

Thanks! I did see the thread, but I was worried I wouldn't be able to keep pace as I'm used to rides with avg speed of 25-28km/hr.
If you mean you usually ride at around 25-28kph on the flats then you might struggle on the Tuesday morning training rides, however if you mean the total ride average is around 25-28kph then I'm sure you'll be fine. With some city riding and the hills, I doubt they'll be going over 30kph average. You'd be fine.

If you mean you usually ride at around 25-28kph on the flats then you might struggle on the Tuesday morning training rides, however if you mean the total ride average is around 25-28kph then I'm sure you'll be fine. With some city riding and the hills, I doubt they'll be going over 30kph average. You'd be fine.

I mean the total ride average. My usual training ride in Brisbane was a 50km loop over hills/flats/one gross climb and my average on that is usually between 25-28 over the whole thing. That is a relief!

I just went on my first ride and it was good! Very windy, way too hot, but pretty good overall. I do have one question though: WHAT IS WITH THE GREEN (or the infinitely worse YELLOW ONES!) RUMBLE STRIPS/SPEED BUMPS ON THE BIKE PATH?!?!! What purpose do they serve!!!!

If you are talking about the Tama River, they are put in place by the local dentist association to shake out fillings and create new customers.

Also to stop people cycling too fast as the riverside paths are shared use.

What purpose do they serve!!!!
to stop people cycling too fast as the riverside paths are shared use.
Yep. That one time, a cyclist hit an elderly pedestrian who banged his head on the ground and sadly died. Japanese authorities respond with asphalt. (They'd have preferred to use concrete, but it wouldn't adhere to the preexisting asphalt.)

Makes sense. I also noticed a nice but pretty weathered looking Fondriest hiding in some bushes along the path. Curious place for such a nice frame.

I have only managed one ride so far... drinking 8000 beers every second night seems to be taking precedence for me at the moment, which hopefully doesn't become a habit!

I do have one question though: WHAT IS WITH THE GREEN (or the infinitely worse YELLOW ONES!) RUMBLE STRIPS/SPEED BUMPS ON THE BIKE PATH?!?!! What purpose do they serve!!!!

These are mostly in places where people enter or exit the shared use path, i.e. where there's a path down to the main road. So people are likely to enter the path there or turn off the path. Hence the rumble strip to make you slow down and/or pay attention to the potential for collisions!

Back
Top Bottom