What's new

gas masks

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Does anyone use one for commuting. Today was my first day of commuting into Shinjuku from Nerima, I feel like I breathed quite a few fumes I could have done without!

has anyone tried any gas masks or filters?

No, I ride through rice fields to work, so it is not that bad (radiation another issue).

I have used one before though, but found it steamed up my glasses, and was hard to breath through...

This was a long time ago though.

If you're really concerned about this, then you need to wear something that will filter both particulates and organics. So - perhaps a RESPRO (http://www.respro.com/). Japanese vehicles - especially heavy ones, have crap for emission standards and controls - thus you are inhaling literally tons of dispearsed particulates and organics. If you want something to start - then just about ANY multi-layer particulate mask would be a very good start. I often wear one when riding in especially cold or dusty seasons - it really helps. As for commuting - if I had to follow the main motorway paths every day I'd get a Respro. Diesel engine particulate is highly carcinogenic. And if you can cut down on the organics - that's even better.

For people who don't know what you are on about re; particulates and organics, can you clarify.

Obviously I know exactly what you are talking about, but for other people :eek:

Gas Masks.

Yes, of course. Riding with gas masks is an old Positivo Espresso team tradition since 2008. Especially recommended when commuting on MIyakejima.

0806+Miyakejima+05+at+the+race.jpg

Particulates are the soot byproducts, stirred up dust, micro-particles and anything else that is in suspension in the air and when you breathe it - it becomes lodged in your sensitive lung tissue, sometimes to linger there for years festering all sorts of nasty issues from lesions and chronic inflammation to cancer.

Organics are the solvents and vapours that are common combustion and industrial byproducts. Stuff like Sulpher Dioxide, Benzenes, heavy hydrocarbons, Ozone, etc. They are often in very high concentration close to motorways and factories.

Any activity that increases your respiration will also increase your intake of these. The more your breathe, the more damage it does. So, any reduction is good. As I said, Diesel particulate is really nasty - and not well managed in Japan. A multi-layer mask like the kind you get at conbinis will cut alot of this out of the air you breathe. In order to cut out the organics you need a more sophisticated, sealed filter system.

BTW - In my former life I was a California Licensed SMOG Inspector and Instructor. Air quality in California is a very very serious matter. The EPA and SCAQMB is feared more than the IRS.

fujiprepared.jpg

PROBLEM SOLVED! - Even has an inlet for hydration tube.

Guess I'll start with the basic model and see how I go
Thanks for the reply

Yep thats me :D Fully sealed, biological resistant with nuclear and biohazard filter on it.

Actually that's 'Lars' , FE's evil twin as you can see by the name tag. Ready for world domination tour 2.3

Is that you? That is pretty hardcore!!

Better than cancer I guess!

I have one of the RESPO masks, and I've tried and tried to use it, but when going up hill, when I NEED to breath, it does NOT allow enough air in, and mine has the exhale valve as well.

This >> one << the Sportsta Mask.

FYI :rolleyes:

Must make your 20 min sip strategy interesting!!!

Like I said it has a hydration tube inlet.... so no problems with sip strat.

Dude, I have the same one, but it is so hard to breath in the air, there is no way I can wear that on a ride.
Well, you must have some special training!!!:eek:

I really want to find a good one to use for commuting.:eek:uch:

has anyone tried the totobobo mask?

It seems like it may function a bit better for cycling. it may not be perfect but even 50% reduction in pollution might be good.

I could also change my route to stay off the main roads too i guess. That would also help.

I do like the bus lane though!!

yeah still not getting you on this one.

Back
Top Bottom