What's new

Tech Garmin Vector 'J' Series

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Ok I've been toying with the idea of getting a set of Garmin Vector pedals and with the global price being set there is little point getting them outside of Japan.

So here was the dilemma, The Garmin Vectors are called Garmin Vector J and there was some concern regarding the compatibility of the units with that of Garmin head units bought outside of Japan, so I decided to contact my guys at Garmin UK directly and here is what they have to say:

"Hi James.
As the vector pedals are just power meters, they contain no regional information, and as such can be used worldwide, so these would be compatible with the device regardless of where they are purchased."

So there we have it, I know this might seem obvious but when a set of pedals cost more than a bike it's best to be 100% sure of things!

At the end of the day the 'J' is basically just to make the Japanese consumers happy that they are also getting a unit that is compatible with their Garmin 500/10, 800/10 'J' units.

Have you looked at the pioneer unit, my mate has one installed, It puts out very precise individual pedal and power loss data. Analysing your pedal stroke and the way you deliver the power.
Looked very impressive.

Yes I did but I have two road bikes with different cranks (Compact and standard) so I would therefore need two power meters for each bike - as I'm not sponsored to use any power meter it is not financially viable and if I was to go crank based I think the Pioneer is very over prices and the STAGES crank arm offers a much better value for money.

So for my requirements I need something that can not only be switched bikes easily but also if crashed racing can easily be repaired replaced Garmin's replacement parts listing is pretty good in comparison to other power meters. Also as it actually offers the only "REAL" pedal scan I'm really interested in this for rehab and gauging just how much my right legs injury affects my riding.

FWI - the JICF guys I support all have Pioneer (sponsored). With a console that looks like it came from an 80's boom box (and about as reliable) , the power data seems no more, or less accurate than a Stages , PowerTap or SRM. Power balance per stroke is based on magnet sensor and then funkily attached strain gauge. I'd prefer the pedal sensor which measures more accurately the dynamic strain in each pedal stroke vs a crank or hub system which will have to account for myriad compliance losses. Oh, yeah, and good luck McGyvering one of these to anything other than a Shimano outboard bearing BB.

The Pioneer is actually more technically advanced than the SRM and their head unit is just as bad.

As for Hub, crank, pedal based system - they all have their Pro's and cons and offer a constant data - which at the end of the day is all someone who is training with power needs - factual, constant and accurate data (Something I have found the Powercal incapable of doing and is like throwing a dart at a dart board or playing Wattage Bingo).

For me as a rider that rides to race and does not have team sponsorship for these then the choice is not only based on requirements but also finances - lets face it for the cost you could build an OEM Chinese mold frame with OEM wheels and Ultegra Di2 and still have money in your pocket to have a few beers.

GOOD LORDY! Then I'm certainly buying in Japan, how is one expected to feed the hounds if one has to fork out such a copious amount on something that clearly isn't needed?

The nerve!

At least here they monogram a set with my initial on them!

Or maybe I'll just buy them from the UK as they seem to know their clientele.

Last edited:
The Pioneer head unit is awesome looking! looks just like a Delorean! Could you get that without the powermeter? ;-P Bit heavy though, never mind.

Instead of spending upwards of $2000+ for a power meter device that can be used only on one bike, I personally would wait for when the second generation of the yet to be released Zone cleat based system becomes available

It has a tentative release date later this year, but no target price yet.

Well it's vapourware mate with no price announced so whats your point with the why spend 2000 USD???? Also take a look at it! It looks like something that came out of a garage.... oh hang on it did.

I think i'll stick with the Garmin device ;)

Well it's vapourware mate with no price announced so whats your point with the why spend 2000 USD????

Right, in September 2010, when Brim Brothers had already been working on it for 2 1/2 years they said in an interview that they would like to see it hit the market within 12 months.

On Jan 17, 2013 they wrote that they were expecting a launch "planned for the middle of this year" (i.e. mid-2013).

A year later the release date is no closer, "mid-2014".

Good luck to them, but anybody who wants to wait for this product obviously can't be in a hurry...

Back
Top Bottom