What's new

garmin questions

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
I have an edge 500 (for a couple months now) and am far from an expert, I have so far only used it to track local daily rides. But at the end of this month I'll be on a multi-day ride up north. It seems to track my daily rides well, and each one becomes a separate activity. But for this longer touring...

Q: Can I somehow trick it into thinking a week+ of riding is a single activity? (and so get many days' riding onto one map)

Q: Or, if not that, then can I somehow link/merge separate activities (rides on different days) into one?

Thanks in advance,

John D.

ps--I've emailed garmin, but have yet to hear back, and am not holding my breath

Garmin's Training center software will compile a weekly report of your riding and will give you the totals for the week.

If you are using Garmin connect then sadly no. You will need to use an editor to merge the data and GPS tracks into one continuos stream.

These can be found using google.

Totals for the week I'm cool with, and have seen, it's the overall trip that I'd like to be able to easily show others, instead of having them do a day-by-day.

I'll try, but if you have any suggestions for how to "merge the data and GPS tracks into one continuous stream" another google hint or two to get me started on that search would be appreciated. I hope I am not appearing too internet-dumb, but what should I be looking for?

Sadly I think you are out of luck. You can merge the tracks, though all too often even this doesn't work well. But most if not all sites/packages then balk at the length of the total track.

So for example when I recorded my 340km Tokyo to Japan Sea trip, mapmyride refused to plot the track. It showed up in Google Earth, but only with some errors.

The best you can do is redraw your track in mapmyride and don't try to display the altitude profile which doesn't work if the track is longer than maybe 250km (and currently doesn't seem to work at all).

I'll try, but if you have any suggestions for how to "merge the data and GPS tracks into one continuous stream" another google hint or two to get me started on that search would be appreciated. I hope I am not appearing too internet-dumb, but what should I be looking for?

erm try "how to edit garmin gps data" :eek:

I think GPSbabel will do it, or simply doing it yourself in a text editor.

Do you use a Mac or a PC. If a Mac, then Ascent will be able to do this.

I have an edge 500 (for a couple months now) and am far from an expert, I have so far only used it to track local daily rides. But at the end of this month I'll be on a multi-day ride up north. It seems to track my daily rides well, and each one becomes a separate activity. But for this longer touring...

Q: Can I somehow trick it into thinking a week+ of riding is a single activity? (and so get many days' riding onto one map)

Q: Or, if not that, then can I somehow link/merge separate activities (rides on different days) into one?

Thanks in advance,

John D.

ps--I've emailed garmin, but have yet to hear back, and am not holding my breath

Off for the morning ride right now, but GPSbabel and Ascent both look interesting, and I'll be checking them both out later today. Thanks!

(and I'm a mac user)

Garmin Mapsource software can do this. There is a simple "join track" tool you can use to create a single long track map from several days/courses.

Back
Top Bottom