What's new

Tech Garmin Question

TBH, I've never really done a test to see the actual battery life, but I've done 6+ hour rides and still had about 60% remaining IRC.

My longest outings are between 150 and 200k so I don't think battery will ever be an issue.

I read a few comments posted in another forum and it does seem you can get 20 hours (what they advertise) out of it with navigation running. That's really good! I also noticed it was pretty heavily discounted in the UK after the Christmas holiday (about 100 pounds or so).

Looks like a nice unit. How much was it? I had a look on Amazon Japan and they were all about 25,000 yen.

I must have got lucky - the pink ones were going for 18,500 earlier this week and I think the yellow ones were about 20,000. Just looked again, and as you said, they're back up to 25,000. I can't really justify 25,000 on a gps but at the cheaper price it seemed like an alright deal.

I must have got lucky - the pink ones were going for 18,500 earlier this week and I think the yellow ones were about 20,000. Just looked again, and as you said, they're back up to 25,000. I can't really justify 25,000 on a gps but at the cheaper price it seemed like an alright deal.
That's a great price! I'd have probably gone for one myself if I could've got it for under 2 man. Enjoy!

Early impressions of the Mega XL in brief: it's probably enough it you're planning on following routes or are riding in areas you know but it wouldn't be enough to navigate new areas with on its own.

+ve
  • Screen is very clear and no problem viewing in bright sunlight or at night (with the back light)
  • Connected with HRM and speed / cadence sensors without any problems - tested with both ANT+ and Bluetooth
  • Battery - the longest I've been out so far is 3 hours but that used less than 10% of the battery (screen on 60% brightness, backlight on for 2 hours, sensors connected)
  • Data screens are easy to configure using the phone app
  • Maps easy to sync from computer
  • Route is easy to follow on the maps
  • Re-routes quickly if using that function

-ve
  • Bluetooth connection with my phone is flakey (although that is probably as much to do with my phone). ATM I have to unpair and re-pair after each use. It only takes a minute, but it's frustrating.
  • As with my other Lezyne GPS it takes a few minutes to lock on to the satellites.
  • The maximum zoom out on the map is about 500m. I'd like to have say 5km and whole route in addition to the 3 levels it has now.
  • The map orientates to North at the top when you stop
  • Not sure yet how often the Lezyne website updates the base maps but it doesn't appear to be that often

@Winston Leg-Thigh Thanks for the update. Why don't you think it wouldn't be enough to navigate new areas? Is it because you can't scale out enough when looking at the map?

Yeah - that and there not being enough detail in the map; all you get is the outline of the roads so there's no real way of knowing what kind of road it is until you get to it. With a route plugged in it'd be fine in new areas but without you'd still need a phone / paper map to get more detail.
The app doesn't use much phone battery even in rerouting / live tracking mode (1% an hour on mine) so you could stick the GPS out front and a phone on the stem as mapping back-up if you go out without a route planned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom