What's new

garmin products on discount in chainreaction

I was thinking this, too. How long will it be before a Garmin (or a GPS other than a smartphone) is no longer necessary? There will likely be a phone tailored to the athlete with all the bells and whistles sooner or later.

Or maybe garmin will add phone technology to their upcoming versions. Or (More probably video with auto data inlays that uploads to some kind of stravaish segment website)

There is no doubt the lines are getting blurred between all kinds of service/ software vs hardware companies as the ability to encroach on each others traditional territory is becoming more a technological possibility.

I don't have the HRM or cadence sensors, and I'm not sure if those drain extra battery life from an Edge 500. If not (or without those), I think a 500's internal battery would go two good days on a single charge (possibly more).

I also use the default settings, which I think are 10-second intervals, rather than any closer tracking.

IMO, you only need the 800 for its navi/maps, while it is also a big step up (again, IMO) in complexity/price--so maybe an intermittently used phone and a 500 would get a rider to the same place. Also, the basic Edge 500 seems to be about $215-220, not $250.

I'm mostly a creature of habit, re-riding the same courses over and over. So the 500 is fine. And when I'm not, I'm an explorer/wanderer, and don't want to be following (turn-by-turn) instructions from some huge chunk of high-maintenance merchandise on my bars. Your mileage may vary.

Or maybe garmin will add phone technology to their upcoming versions. Or (More probably video with auto data inlays that uploads to some kind of stravaish segment website)

There is no doubt the lines are getting blurred between all kinds of service/ software vs hardware companies as the ability to encroach on each others traditional territory is becoming more a technological possibility.

You mean like this?

http://www.wiggle.com/garmin-ant-plus-adapter-for-iphone/

I don't have the HRM or cadence sensors, and I'm not sure if those drain extra battery life from an Edge 500. If not (or without those), I think a 500's internal battery would go two good days on a single charge (possibly more).

I also use the default settings, which I think are 10-second intervals, rather than any closer tracking.

IMO, you only need the 800 for its navi/maps, while it is also a big step up (again, IMO) in complexity/price--so maybe an intermittently used phone and a 500 would get a rider to the same place. Also, the basic Edge 500 seems to be about $215-220, not $250.

I'm mostly a creature of habit, re-riding the same courses over and over. So the 500 is fine. And when I'm not, I'm an explorer/wanderer, and don't want to be following (turn-by-turn) instructions from some huge chunk of high-maintenance merchandise on my bars. Your mileage may vary.

I have a HRM, GSC10 unit and power tap all broadcasting to my Edge 500 battery will happily last for days.

That is a very Beta way of looking at things; the blatant attempt to draw another into your sphere, in order to disarm them under your own terms is textbook.

Etc.

Total BS, Owen. There is no attempt to draw anyone into my so called sphere, and no attempts at disarming anyone. Please, point out where you disagree with my assertion that being an alpha male is about being a leader, a protector, and provider.

Ahh ok, you are a wiser alpha-male than the one from your "If I can do it - I do it (without asking)" comment. The alpha-male you mean considers strategic alliances and excels in inter-dependencies, he thinks with the end in mind and completely represses his testosterone drive, right?

Sorry that's not my image though :p.

Where did I say anything about strategic alliances or testosterone repression? From what I can infer from what you've written, your concept and understanding of what an alpha male is, is an adolescent alpha male. By that I mean, the young male who takes whatever he wants, pisses wherever he wants, pounds his chest at every opportunity, and is an all around arrogant SOB. What I'm referring to is the fully adult alpha male who can do any of that when he needs and/or wants to, but because he is more self-confident he generally doesn't see or have the need. He extends his leadership, and protection to his family, friends, and those around him in need.

Blimey! Didn't realise you were being serious. I was just messing about mate. All this Alpha vs Beta stuff is funny, is it not?

A true Alpha never uses smileys.

ScottAlexander_chai_385501a.jpg

Yeah, now that 'smartphones' have become ubiquitous, and more and more people are wanting GPS / training stuff, and with the success of Strava, et al, I see a real move to bring Android phones up to the level of dedicated Garmin style devices.

The Sony Ericsson Xperia Active and the HTC Rhyme come with an ANT+ chip, allowing them to be paired with HRMs already. Beyond that there hasn't been much uptake yet.

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus and several of the Android tablets have already added the barometric altitude sensor - previous versions could only get altitutude via the GPS fix. Between the barometric sensor and the ANT+ (and the AGPS that they already support), that would be all it takes to match the Edge 500 and 800, assuming sufficient battery capacity.

Also, both the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S3 hardware support Bluetooth 4.0, aka Bluetooth smart, aka Bluetooth low energy (BTLE). Unlike the iPhone 4S released last year however they don't have a suitable driver for it yet. :( Like ANT+ with which it competes head on, BT 4.0 draws less power than the existing BT 2.0. But even with its regular BT, the Zephyr HxM is quoted with 26 hours of battery life, which would be like two 180 km rides for me, and it takes a single hour to recharge to 90% via USB. With the new standard, batteries in sensors are supposed to last months.

Interesting that there is no Android equivalent to this, while there are two such products for the iPhone (Wahoo being the other).

Developers blame it on the USB driver support on Android, which supposedly only supports the USB port as a slave device, while it needs to be a master to poll an ANT+ adapter that in turn is acting as a master (as required for HRMs, cadence sensors, power meters, etc, which are all passive ANT+ adapters).

Bluetooth doesn't have this limitation, the phone can communicate any way it wants with other BT devices, so I think for now Bluetooth is the way to go for sensors on Android.

Where did I say anything about strategic alliances or testosterone repression?

Pete, you are (still :rolleyes:) not reading your own posts. Hmm, here:

>> ... being an alpha male is about being a leader ...

>> ... being (NOT) a testosterone laiden competition gorilla, ...

From what I can infer from what you've written, your concept and understanding of what an alpha male is, is an adolescent alpha male. ... What I'm referring to is the fully adult alpha male who can do any of that when he needs and/or wants to.

Yawn, please ask our psychology student for those details. In the end I only care about 'Cyclist Alpha Males" - e.g. somebody who can "Beat his Deejness" or maybe more profound: somebody who challenges your results on STRAVA :p

Pete, you are (still :rolleyes:) not reading your own posts. Hmm, here:

>> ... being an alpha male is about being a leader ...

>> ... being (NOT) a testosterone laiden competition gorilla, ...

I'm writing them, reading them, and there are no incongruencies or contradictions. Apparently you're just not comprehending. Neither of those two excerpts from my post fits your assertions? You seem to be looking at this from a very limited perspective.

Yawn, please ask our psychology student for those details. In the end I only care about 'Cyclist Alpha Males" - e.g. somebody who can "Beat his Deejness" or maybe more profound: somebody who challenges your results on STRAVA :p

While I welcome his input, I don't need to ask the psychology student. I'm reasonably well studied in the field. And, your post provides further reinforcement of my conjecture that your understanding of what an alpha male is is an adolescent level alpha male. Good luck in your efforts to dominate STRAVA. I hope it brings you some satisfaction. ;)

In any event, I sincerely wish you well, Malte, and look forward to cycling with you again. :)

I find it fascinating and amusing that this discussion has developed from, essentially, "Which 9 cm gadget should I buy?"

Alpha male -> Beta male -> Release male 1.0 ?

(I know. It's a cheap gag and adds nothing to the pseudo-cyclogical discourse. Sue me.)

Back
Top Bottom