What's new

garmin products on discount in chainreaction

"not selfish ... just alpha-male "
Arghh, there is it again the contradiction in just one paragraph :mad:.

No contradiction there whatsoever! If you think that being an alpha male means being selfish then you don't really understand being an alpha male! As an adult human, being an alpha male is about being a leader, a protector, and provider. If you think it's all about being a testosterone laiden competition gorilla, IMHO, you need to raise the maturity level of your concept and understanding of what being an alpha male in the human species is.

No contradiction there whatsoever! If you think that being an alpha male means being selfish then you don't really understand being an alpha male! As an adult human, being an alpha male is about being a leader, a protector, and provider. If you think it's all about being a testosterone laiden competition gorilla, IMHO, you need to raise the maturity level of your concept and understanding of what being an alpha male in the human species is.

That is a very Beta way of looking at things; the blatant attempt to draw another into your sphere, in order to disarm them under your own terms is textbook.

Etc.

Ahh ok, you are a wiser alpha-male than the one from your "If I can do it - I do it (without asking)" comment. The alpha-male you mean considers strategic alliances and excels in inter-dependencies, he thinks with the end in mind and completely represses his testosterone drive, right?

Sorry that's not my image though :p.
the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

Imagine this. You create a game where there are alpha and beta personalities. Then you make the rules so that when a beta challenges an alpha, the beta loses automatically. By default, everyone is playing it whether they want to or not. Then you label yourself as an alpha and all of your adversaries as betas.

Thusly, you are the apha-male of any group, ever, and if anyone disagrees, it is merely because they are desperate betas trying to challenge you. Brilliant, right?

errr, i didn't know this garmin post would be something about being an alpha male. never felt the need :) whatever works for your "dynamic" in your relationships is good :)

aaaannnyyyway, thanks for the information about the japanese maps! i am moving towards the edge 500 because of the ANT+ feature (if I decide to use that down the road)

cheers!

from your friendly neighborhood pussy whipped husband :p

<attemps to drag thread vaguely back on track>

The Garmin 500 is not a mapping device. You can upload courses on to it which will show as a line on the screen, with warnings when you don't follow the course. But the line is just a line on a blank screen.
The 800 shows the map and has routing capability, so you can follow a course (like the 500, but shown superimposed on a map), or you can get the 800 to create a route to a waypoint. As Pete said, both are ANT+ compatible with heart rate, speed, cadence and power sensors.

AW.

I have the 500 and was going through the same dilemma however the 800 was not on sale at that time which made the choice easier.

I use the mapping, aka line-on-screen, function all the time and the only downside is that you have no point of reference if/when you get lost. This is a common issue in the city because the turn-by-turn directions are a few seconds too slow and then your off course with no ability to zoom out and see where you are, additionally the unit takes a long time before telling you that your going in the wrong direction i.e. the reverse of your route.

In my opinion the 500 is just fine if you don't plan to use it often in the city, and the units are not on sale. I see that the 800 without anything is about the same price as the loaded 500 currently, so if you have all the sensors then I'd go for the 800.

Again, outside of the main city areas the 500 is great, but if you foresee yourself needing to navigate out or through Tokyo metro areas or any city for that matter then you may want to invest in a 800.

If the 800 can reroute you then that is another vote in that direction.

Imagine this. You create a game where there are alpha and beta personalities. Then you make the rules so that when a beta challenges an alpha, the beta loses automatically. By default, everyone is playing it whether they want to or not. Then you label yourself as an alpha and all of your adversaries as betas.

Thusly, you are the apha-male of any group, ever, and if anyone disagrees, it is merely because they are desperate betas trying to challenge you. Brilliant, right?

As a student of both Psychology and Sociology this line of thinking, and that of others who railroaded this thread, is no less than an interesting showing of the depth and pervasiveness of popular media.

Owen I am in no way picking on you.

A true alpha would have people lining the streets cheering him the whole way, so would not need any form of GPS.

Aside from that, yeah, I have debated with myself which one to get; 500 or 800.

I am a sense-of-direction sub-human, so would most likely go with the 800.

Garmin is a pain to get going with Linux though...

As a student of both Psychology and Sociology this line of thinking, and that of others who railroaded this thread, is no less than an interesting showing of the depth and pervasiveness of popular media.

Hahaha, your statement, not scientific and not specific in any way then falls into the same category :D

A true alpha would have people lining the streets cheering him the whole way, so would not need any form of GPS.

Aside from that, yeah, I have debated with myself which one to get; 500 or 800.

I am a sense-of-direction sub-human, so would most likely go with the 800.

Garmin is a pain to get going with Linux though...

Yeah I get lost in Japanese cities all the time, it must be something about the layout.

That's how I roll! I wish they would go away when I try and sleep though.

As already mentioned, the major advantage of the 800 over the 500 is better navigation, but if you already have an Android or iPhone with data plan, that may give you even better maps at no extra cost. I am very happy with using my Android for following KML trails on Google maps or for trails to new destinations entered anywhere while I'm out, now that my 8,000 mAh battery has taken care of battery life issues. With that battery my Android outlasts the battery of a Garmin!

I've used my smartphone for navigation and for GPS logging for the past year. Still I've been considering a Garmin too because my Android has neither a barometric altimeter (elevation totals on my tours are wildly inaccurate) nor does it support ANT+ for a HRM / cadence sensor. The exaggerated elevation totals I could live with, but a HRM sounds like a great tool for training. Most existing smartphones only support Bluetooth 2.0, but not ANT+ or Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth low energy), which most sensors require. However, the Zephyr HxM BT appears to be compatible with my phone. At $79 it's a third of the price of a Garmin Edge 500 at $250 without HRM, so I may just stick with the Android and get a Zephyr.

That's how I roll! I wish they would go away when I try and sleep though.

Sounds like you have the same kind of problems as Justin Bieber!

Yeah, now that 'smartphones' have become ubiquitous, and more and more people are wanting GPS / training stuff, and with the success of Strava, et al, I see a real move to bring Android phones up to the level of dedicated Garmin style devices. Obviously they have a long way to go, and many will prefer something hardcore like a Garmin, but things are moving forward with phones in a positive way.

things are moving forward with phones in a positive way.

I was thinking this, too. How long will it be before a Garmin (or a GPS other than a smartphone) is no longer necessary? There will likely be a phone tailored to the athlete with all the bells and whistles sooner or later.

With that battery my Android outlasts the battery of a Garmin!
Battery life is an issue with the Edge 800 for sure - especially for long days out or multi-day trips. But a booster battery solves this just as it does for a smartphone.

I use Mac OS; Garmin now provides various applications for that platform. Garmin Training Center is fine for recording activities. MapInstall and BaseCamp do the rest.

I do have a virtual Windows install available for occasional Garmin MapSource jiggery-pokery. And, as you note, Windows is required for firmware updates. That's short-sighted on Garmin's part, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a friend with a Windows PC who can help.

Back
Top Bottom