Tech Garmin Edge 810 GPS feedback requested

AHS

Cruising
Dec 21, 2011
Shibuya-ku
I am thinking of buying a Garmin Edge 810. Here is the reasoning...

1. We need to a buy a replacement for my wife's Edge 500 that has strangely disappeared somewhere between the computer it was plugged into and the bike it was bound for.
2. I currently prepare courses using Garmin Connect and then download them to my Edge 500 and use the "Etch A Sketch" (look it up at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etch_A_Sketch if you are to young to have seen one of these) like courses in an attempt to navigate with it. This normally results in my wife looking at me with a disapprovingly when we miss a turn that results in us having to turn around and ride back up the hill that the turn was at the top of.
3. We rarely ride the same route so relying on my memory of the route is not a good a move.
4. Using the a cell phone sucks down the battery, takes time, blah, blah.....

So here are the questions...

What base maps are people using on their Garmins? I saw a good article from DC Rainmaker (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html) on how to use free Open Maps. These maps are "free" (donation suggested) but I am prepared to pay a little money for a reasonable base map. The quality of these maps looks ok for Japan, but has anybody used these with success here? Has anybody tried to make a route using Garmin Connect and then load it onto the Edge 810 and try to follow it using the downloaded base map? Any other tips?

Thanks, Adam.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I used Openmaps in Europe, Asia (including Japan) The most popular map in Japan is the UpUpDown which includes lots of POI's, terrain, etc. The UUD map is a bit more 'accurate' when you create a route on , say, Ride With GPS, then xfer it to your Garmin. Maybe they are licensing the same overlay as Google?? (Zenrin). Openmaps rely on the country's 'opensource' road /poi data which may not be updated as frequently or different than that of the online services. OSM is rapidly catching up, though and I do use it (I have both on my Garmin) when I've plotted something on my Smartphone which I'm using OSM for the offline maps. YMMV. Just install OSM and see if it covers the area you wish to travel. After all, it is free! And unless you are 100% dependent on exact road alignment or POI accuracy, it will likely be just fine.

AHS

Cruising
Dec 21, 2011
Shibuya-ku
I used Openmaps in Europe, Asia (including Japan) The most popular map in Japan is the UpUpDown which includes lots of POI's, terrain, etc. The UUD map is a bit more 'accurate' when you create a route on , say, Ride With GPS, then xfer it to your Garmin. Maybe they are licensing the same overlay as Google?? (Zenrin). Openmaps rely on the country's 'opensource' road /poi data which may not be updated as frequently or different than that of the online services. OSM is rapidly catching up, though and I do use it (I have both on my Garmin) when I've plotted something on my Smartphone which I'm using OSM for the offline maps. YMMV. Just install OSM and see if it covers the area you wish to travel. After all, it is free! And unless you are 100% dependent on exact road alignment or POI accuracy, it will likely be just fine.

Thanks, good information.

rommelgc

Maximum Pace
Sep 3, 2009
Setagaya
What base maps are people using on their Garmins?
I initially used the default Garmin base map but then I realized my Kanji reading was very bad.
So, I got the UUD maps (Romanized street names) but the looong romanizations irritated me a bit.

3 years on, I thought about getting the 2013 Garmin maps but it was expensive (2万円).
So now my 705 is now using OSM (Open Street Map) here. Haven't found any major faults yet.
As mentioned by @GSAstuto, I found the OSM is not as detailed as the Garmin maps. Not much POIs.

Map size of OSM is smaller in size, but scrolling through the map is a tad slow.

Just try it :)

Last edited:

Doug3

Maximum Pace
Jun 24, 2010
Setagaya
www.tokyocyclingcoach.com
I initially used the default Garmin base map but then I realized my Kanji reading was very bad.
So, I got the UUD maps (Romanized street names) but the looong romanizations irritated me a bit.

3 years on, I thought about getting the 2013 Garmin maps but it was expensive (2万円).
So now my 705 is now using OSM (Open Street Map) here. Haven't found any major faults yet.
As mentioned by @GSAstuto, I found the OSM is not as detailed as the Garmin maps. Not much POIs.

Map size of OSM is smaller in size, but scrolling through the map is a tad slow.

Just try it :)
Is your 705 a Japanese version? I think I tried the map above on my non-JP 705 and the Kanji came out as bakamoji.