What's new

Garmin Edge 705

Since my last post I haven't done much. Not having any problems just not reading enough on 'how to' do it all.

I bought a 1GB card yesterday and put it in but my lap top which I took to Hakuba and downloaded the maps to has been playing up since I got home to Noda so have not done any work on the 705. (been busy gardening in the rain).

The English map I downloaded to my lap top works fine and I'm on windows XP.

Is the idea to put the whole map onto the SD card? Or just the bits you use a lot?

ATM all I do is plot a course on MapSource select the necesary maps on the course, save the route and send it to the device. I did set off for one ride and as I switched it on it told me I didn't have the map section for the destination uploaded , so had to get off the bike go back inside fire up the laptop and select the map, save and resend. (the pink highlight for selected maps wasn't so easy to see, so not sure sometimes if I've selecerd the map unless I check closely).

I went to training tonight but didn't take the 705. Will do so next week. Feeling a little sorry for my trusty POLAR which always comes to training with me. I didn't tell it yet about the 705. :eek:uch:

You can upload as much of the map as you like to the Garmin. Just select the area you want in Mapsource and then upload it.

Reading the Garmin documentation might not help. It is pretty impenetrable in my opinion.

My profile keeps changing to somebody born in 1980 a male who weighs 66kg.
I wish!

Anybody else have a ghost?

Garmin Edge 705 on a budget

Hi guys,
I just purchased a Garmin Edge 705 today... I live in Europe and have a good friend living in Japan so I thought my "search efforts" might be of value to someone...

I used a website,gosale.com and did a search for the Garmin Edge 705... see results here:
Garmin Edge prices on GoSale
You can either decide to buy from an actual store (look for 'international available' in the shipping column... or if you scroll down, you can buy from an auction (ebay etc). Nice that they have them all together so you don't have to hunt around too much. Both purchasing through a store or an auction were MUCH, MUCH cheaper (think 200 Euros +) than prices here in Europe. I actually just got back from the MTB World Cup Finals in Austria and saw the Edge 705 at the Garmin booth.. the guy tried to offer me 'special' pricing of only 440 Euros instead of the regular 479 Euros (or something) but I knew I could find a better deal.

Thankfully, I just used GoSale and got a very good deal on an Edge 705. It was for the Edge 705 HR model (no speed/cadence) but I also found the speed cadence sensor (GSC 10) for about $37 USD + $12 USD for shipping to Europe... not a bad deal at all.

Totally can't wait to check out my new Edge 705... must... resist...temptation to get the power monitor (Quarq CinQo or other ANT+ meter). First things first, at least I can navigate the windy cobble streets of Europe like a native now... Thanks USD & Uncle Sam! See you on Garmin Connect! (or more accurately, see how I crack on my next 6 hour ride! :) )

- John

Hi guys,
I just purchased a Garmin Edge 705 today... I live in Europe and have a good friend living in Japan so I thought my "search efforts" might be of value to someone...

I used a website,gosale.com and did a search for the Garmin Edge 705... see results here:
Garmin Edge prices on GoSale
You can either decide to buy from an actual store (look for 'international available' in the shipping column... or if you scroll down, you can buy from an auction (ebay etc). Nice that they have them all together so you don't have to hunt around too much. Both purchasing through a store or an auction were MUCH, MUCH cheaper (think 200 Euros +) than prices here in Europe. I actually just got back from the MTB World Cup Finals in Austria and saw the Edge 705 at the Garmin booth.. the guy tried to offer me 'special' pricing of only 440 Euros instead of the regular 479 Euros (or something) but I knew I could find a better deal.

Thankfully, I just used GoSale and got a very good deal on an Edge 705. It was for the Edge 705 HR model (no speed/cadence) but I also found the speed cadence sensor (GSC 10) for about $37 USD + $12 USD for shipping to Europe... not a bad deal at all.

Totally can't wait to check out my new Edge 705... must... resist...temptation to get the power monitor (Quarq CinQo or other ANT+ meter). First things first, at least I can navigate the windy cobble streets of Europe like a native now... Thanks USD & Uncle Sam! See you on Garmin Connect! (or more accurately, see how I crack on my next 6 hour ride! :) )

- John

Thanks, in large part to this forum, we're shipping to Japan several times per week now. Thank you!

Keep a low profile here and Im guessing you will get more sales... make too many bumping posts and they may get deleted.

I'd recommend you again if that helps.

Still haven't figured out how to utilize the SD card.
Got a 'memory full' warning show up the other day but haven't had time to investigate why it did that?

I also found that near one place I work there are over head power cables and my unit freezes up there. Anybody else experience that?

I'm planning my biggest ride ever next week if weather is good.. 300kms to Hakuba (and maybe the return leg as well). Got a course mapped for it. Hope I made the best course available and I don't end up in Sendai....due to crossed wires.

My biggest fear with this ride is the battery going dead before I get there. I want to record the whole trip even if I'm on a road that is 100kms long and impossible to get lost on...

No bump intended - just gratitude.

Have not experienced the powerline issue you describe.

Look into a USB battery extender - they are very inexpensive and readily available at most drug stores (U.S) and electronics stores.

2GB is the maximum microSD that the Edge 705 can manage.

Have a great ride!!!

hi GeoMan,

im considering the Edge 705 as well, but i have couple of questions regarding the 705 and hope you can answer them..

im base in Tokyo, and are basically surrounded by concrete jungles around here. I have the Garmin Mobile 10X, which is configured on my PDA phone. the 10x uses the SIRF III chipset which supposedly uses similar chipset with the Edge 705. However with Mobile 10x, occasionally the satelite signals will go haywire :( typically if you're riding below the huge overhead highway passes which are aplenty in urban Tokyo.

since im new here, im relying heavily on GPS and seems like the Mobile 10x is giving me unreliable signals.

How is the signal for Edge 705? is there an improvement over the Mobile 10x especially on urban concrete jungles?
Hopefully someone can perhaps give me some pointers on this.

(It's officially my first month in Tokyo and i'm looking forward to go out riding, hopefully with a reliable GPS unit:))

Cheers

hi GeoMan,

im considering the Edge 705 as well, but i have couple of questions regarding the 705 and hope you can answer them..

im base in Tokyo, and are basically surrounded by concrete jungles around here. I have the Garmin Mobile 10X, which is configured on my PDA phone. the 10x uses the SIRF III chipset which supposedly uses similar chipset with the Edge 705. However with Mobile 10x, occasionally the satelite signals will go haywire :( typically if you're riding below the huge overhead highway passes which are aplenty in urban Tokyo.

since im new here, im relying heavily on GPS and seems like the Mobile 10x is giving me unreliable signals.

How is the signal for Edge 705? is there an improvement over the Mobile 10x especially on urban concrete jungles?
Hopefully someone can perhaps give me some pointers on this.

(It's officially my first month in Tokyo and i'm looking forward to go out riding, hopefully with a reliable GPS unit:))

Cheers

The Edge 705 uses a very high sensitivity GPS chipset comparable to the SiRF III. I've used my 705 in the thickest forest and have never had a problem. I cannot explain what you are seeing except that the satellites that send GPS signals send a very weak signal. It is not uncommon to have a signal loss indoors or under heavy cover like an overpass, sorry to say.

In the early 90's, my wife and I used to train and field search and rescue dogs in the mountains of Colorado. I tried using a handheld GPS back then and gave up because the signal and GPS could not keep up with me and my dogs. Frankly, I threw my GPS in anger more than once and finally resorted back to map and compass - it was faster and more accurate.

The "modern" GPS chipsets are sooooo much more sensitive it is unbelievable to someone who trained on the "oldies"... I marvel at how consistent and accurate these new models are. My 705 is always running at about 12 feet of accuracy.

Look into a USB battery extender - they are very inexpensive and readily available at most drug stores (U.S) and electronics stores.

Thanks, I just went to YAMADA denki and picked up one of these.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/plaisir/pr-1800bk/

Looks like it will do the trick. Charging it up now. Planning to head out Thursday to Nagano..but there may be another typhoon coming...

My next question about the 705.

Should you delete as much 'saved' history in the unit that you have on file in your PC? Is there an easy way to do it? Via the unitor via the PC. It seems that importing and exporting all the time just doubles up the files. One on the 705 and one on the PC. Haven't seen any prompts for removing files from the unit. Will the unit automatically 'save' to the SD card? Or do you have to drag and drop at the PC?

:warau:

Problems I encountered with my 705 on my long journey to Nagano/Hakuba.

There are lots of minor settings you need to take into account before setting out and if you don't have it right when you start, like me, you may be reluctant to stop and reset it all. Especially if you've ridden 10 or 20km first to find it's not doing what you want it to.

It was hard to plot the exact course for my start as the cycling path is not 100% on the map. Being old map data a lot of the new paths are not showing. Rather than following my intended route the 705 kept trying to find alternative routes.
This became very annoying later in the day when it would consistently tell me to do a U turn when in fact I was running parallel to my desired route and a simple left/right turn would put you back on course. Some of the suggested U turns involved an extra 10 or 20km. :mad: Why can't it look ahead for short cuts rather than want to go back wards all the time? Same problem with car navigation systems sometimes.

I'll test the following setting next time and see if it sticks to the planned route.

Menu-->Settings-->Routing-->Follow road (avoid unpaved roads).

Battery: At the 100km mark I noticed I was down to about 5% battery power.
I had a spare USB battery reserve but had never used it before. Turning it on didn't just require a push of the only button on it, which appeared to have turned it on. To get it to pump power into your Garmin you need to hold the 'on' button down till the light switches from red to blue. (more than 3 seconds). I didn't know that on my journey and after trying it I gave up. Just pushing the button lightly for less than 3 seconds switched 3 red lights on. I assumed it was a faulty unit. Usually I am the faulty unit for not reading the instructions.

I recorded the 1st 105km and the next mornings ride after recharging. Looks like I will have to ride the course again to get the full data map I was hoping for.

When I did feel lost or was at a confusing intersection, turning it on solved any doubts I had about which direction to head in. Even if the advice it was giving was not what I had programmed into it in the beginning. I could either follow the new route or see the way to go by zooming in or out.

For the last 150km it was pretty much in the rain the whole time. No water leaked in via the USB port or anywhere else.

The back light is pretty much useless unless it is on 100% brightness. I couldn't see much otherwise. That must use up extra battery power too.

I had the heart rate monitor recording as well. I don't know if that will use up more battery power or just use extra memory.

Still a lot to learn to get the maximum benefit out of this. I haven't even started using the virtual trainer yet. Hopefully Thursday night after it remembers a bit more of my Tuesday night training.

When choosing a route there is an option to copy it to the SD card or not. If you don't copy it the 1st time it won't give you the option a second time.

All this trial by error is a little irritating. :eek:uch:

Power metering . . .

Do you want to measure your power output but are not prepared to pay $4,000 for an SRM powermeter. Quarq Cinqo is a new power-meter designed to replace a standard chainset spider and relay power through the ANT+Sport protocol (Bluetooth).

Strain gauges inside the Cinqo send information wirelessly to compatible devices including the Garmin Edge 705 GPS computer.

The spider promises high accuracy and little weight penalty, weighing just 130g. The cost? About US$1,500 including FSA chainset (not compatible with Shimano or Campagnolo :( )

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/interbike-quarq-power-meter-real-bike-computer-12672?img=1

Edge 705

Received my Edge 705 from GeoMan today (it shipped quickly - 3 days using standard shipping) and took it out for a test ride. Bottom line - definitely worth the investment in my opinion.

Question for others who have the 705. I am having a very hard time getting it to release from the mount. I tried different things to try and loosen it up a little bit (it is tight to the point where it feels like it will snap the plastic each time I try to take it off). The best solution seemed to be adding some teflon powder...although it is still quite tight. Any one else have this problem?

This is my first post. I am moving to Tokyo later this month and look forward to getting out on some rides and meeting people on the boards.

Received my Edge 705 from GeoMan today (it shipped quickly - 3 days using standard shipping) and took it out for a test ride. Bottom line - definitely worth the investment in my opinion.

Question for others who have the 705. I am having a very hard time getting it to release from the mount. I tried different things to try and loosen it up a little bit (it is tight to the point where it feels like it will snap the plastic each time I try to take it off). The best solution seemed to be adding some teflon powder...although it is still quite tight. Any one else have this problem?

This is my first post. I am moving to Tokyo later this month and look forward to getting out on some rides and meeting people on the boards.

Are you pushing the little lever down as you try to remove it?

Yeah, I had the lever down...mine just seems to fit in there really tight. Well, at least I know it won't be falling off.

My unit keeps the 'done' routes on the map so when I go for rides near home there are purple lines all over the map and without even selecting a course or hitting the start button it starts taking me on a ride telling me where to go. Tried to take me to Nagano again this afternoon.
Should I be deleting all the data after each journey?

Back
Top Bottom