What's new

Review Garmin Edge 500

I have a feeling that you can upload upupdown maps to multiple units, while garmin maps you'll need to purchase another licence. Best thing to do is e-mail upupdown.

The 500 doesn't have mapping capability. It cannot display maps, just a simple course line like the older 205/305 models. So there's no way to load the actual map onto it.
Moset Garmin maps are locked to a single unit. The upupdown map is not locked as long as you got the CD version not the download version.

The 500 doesn't have mapping capability. It cannot display maps, just a simple course line like the older 205/305 models. So there's no way to load the actual map onto it.
Moset Garmin maps are locked to a single unit. The upupdown map is not locked as long as you got the CD version not the download version.

Thanks for putting the 500 into perspective! I wonder if there is really such a demand for this beast.

very tempted

Thanks for putting the 500 into perspective! I wonder if there is really such a demand for this beast.

I think I'm getting one....I like its compactness, design and the "simple course line" navigation, which in my view is more than good enough....simply more adventurous :). Other features I like: up to 18 hours power, easy swtichability from one bike to another .

That Rainmaker guy's review was quite helpful.

The unit works together with various software such as mapmyride, Sportstracks, GTC and others where you can plot out the course on a map, then upload the course to the unit.

The course will take GPS, Altitude and distance measurements from the course file and then tell you when you need to make a turn and so on.

The course is then laid out on the screen as a "Breadcrumb trail". You can input certain markers with information such as "7 Eleven" or Junction for Route...... and so on to give you prompts for visual references.

sc-05-lg.jpg

Once you have completed the ride the breadcrumb trail is then over laid on to the map. If you do get one of these units I would recommend Sportstracks as it uses Goggle maps/Earth and does not require you to purchase any maps, so no need for upupdown or Garmin.

Also this unit has a lot of features not seen in other Edge products although Garmin has said that they will possible introduce them to the other Edge models in the next firmware release, such as the temp gauge and so on.

sc-01-lg.jpg

sc-04-lg.jpg

sc-02-lg.jpg

Also while on the subject of Garmin and GPS units, one of the main points that come up is the accuracy of the units when reading Altitude gains and also calories burned.

I've been doing some research on the matter and one of the things that we need to check is that the sensors on the unit are clear of debris or have adequate air flow under them, so they need to be positioned so that they have good air circulation around them. Also resetting the unit at sea level also helps with the calibration of the units. Also if the unit allows you to input a know height as a starting location, such as the "HOME" marker on Garmin's this will also allow faster and more accurate calibration.

Finally firmwares, many of us run computers that actually have upgradable firmware and I think both Ludwig's and MOB's units can also be updated but so far Garmin has released an upgrade every 2 or 3 months with many improvements in the information.

Caloric consumption is another reading that has been debated and something I take very serious with my diet. One of the main things to remember is that this will not be 100% accurate but if you input all of the correct details such as Height, Age, Weight, Equipment weight and in some cases the level of activity you participate in, you can actually get readings that are within 5% of actual calories burned. Also you need to remember that it's a sliding scale and needs to be updated regularly; I basically do it before every big ride.

The review was extremely thorough. The telling point for me, though, was when he was asked in the comments whether he'd continue to use the 705 or the 500 from hereon. Basically he said that he'd continue with the 705.

Much as I like the smaller and lighter idea of the 500, especially with the longer battery life, I only bought my 705 last year. In one or two years this 500 or equivalent model will be more viable.

Once you have completed the ride the breadcrumb trail is then over laid on to the map. If you do get one of these units I would recommend Sportstracks as it uses Goggle maps/Earth and does not require you to purchase any maps, so no need for upupdown or Garmin.

Does the 500 come with some kind of 'base' map?

I looked at the Sportstracks site the other day, but I couldn't figure out the actual maps. Does it download maps from Google, which one then uploads to the GPS device?

Ok Sportstracks uses goggle earth and possibly a few others with the right plugins but these maps are used with the basestation software ie the PC you upload your rides to. These can not be uploaded to devices to do so you would need the MAPSource software from Garmin and also the maps purchased from either Garmin, upupdown or other map makers.

The way Sportstracks works canbe seen below.

1st image is the paper trail recorded by the Garmin Edge 705 or other GPS device

4361255197_50f08dc67d_o.jpg

2nd Image is with Goggle Maps satalite mode under the paper trail.

4361255271_98fddbcf23_o.jpg

PIECE OF JUNK !!!???

My new Garmin 500 arrived yesterday. Excited as I was, I plugged it in (recognized by PC), charged the battery 100% ....so far everything normal...

BUT THEN, I made the mistake (?) of uploading 2 of my favorite routes BEFORE CONFIGURING (=completing the initial setup) my Garmin 500:eek:. Both uploads were successful. "All right!," I thought, "now lets configure the thing"...

ALAS!! my Garmin 500 had now become unoperatable and no longer recognized by my PC. I tried all the troubleshooting solutions but none of them work. Device won't go into mass storage mode (in order to delete those 2 files I uploaded before configuring) and does no longer show up in My Computer as a new removable disk.

Right now the device cannot even be turned off...all it does is show the GARMIN logo sometimes with backlight sometimes without.

This thing is totally useless!!! Have contacted Garmin support and must now wait 3 days for a reply...

I think I'm getting one....I like its compactness, design and the "simple course line" navigation, which in my view is more than good enough....simply more adventurous :). Other features I like: up to 18 hours power, easy swtichability from one bike to another .

That Rainmaker guy's review was quite helpful.

PIECE OF JUNK ???!!! (2) KNOWN BUG

CANNOT EVEN GO INTO MASS STORAGE MODE :mad: WHAT A TERRIBLE RIP-OFF

Question: What can be done to unlock an Edge 500 that will not progress past the startup screen?

Answer:
Software version 2.00 and 2.10 for the Edge 500 has a known bug that causes a user's device to either lock-up or is stuck in a constant power cycle, never progressing past the startup screen. This problem has been traced back to the NewFiles folder within the Edge 500 directory. If an unreadable file is placed in this folder the device reacts as described above.

In order to remedy this issue the device must be held in mass storage mode so that you may access the NewFiles directory and delete it.

In order to remedy this issue please follow the steps below:

With the device powered off, please old the Page/Menu button
While continuing to hold the Page/Menu button, plug the device into the PC with a compatible USB cable
Continue to hold the Page/Menu button for at least 10 seconds in order for the device to enter mass storage mode*
Once you have gained access to the Edge 500 directory, please delete the NewFiles folder
*Mass Storage mode is achieved when the device shows under My Computer or shows as a Disk Drive on your computer screen

This bug will be resolved in a future software update and this article will be updated with that software version when avaialble.

My new Garmin 500 arrived yesterday. Excited as I was, I plugged it in (recognized by PC), charged the battery 100% ....so far everything normal...

BUT THEN, I made the mistake (?) of uploading 2 of my favorite routes BEFORE CONFIGURING (=completing the initial setup) my Garmin 500:eek:. Both uploads were successful. "All right!," I thought, "now lets configure the thing"...

ALAS!! my Garmin 500 had now become unoperatable and no longer recognized by my PC. I tried all the troubleshooting solutions but none of them work. Device won't go into mass storage mode (in order to delete those 2 files I uploaded before configuring) and does no longer show up in My Computer as a new removable disk.

Right now the device cannot even be turned off...all it does is show the GARMIN logo sometimes with backlight sometimes without.

This thing is totally useless!!! Have contacted Garmin support and must now wait 3 days for a reply...

Tom,

Did you get it working again?

NOPE

as I wrote, this is for now a piece of junk :mad:. It only shows the GARMIN Logo, won't do anything else, cannot be shut off, can no longer be recognized by PC.

Tom,

Did you get it working again?

Also I would suggest giving Garmin a call directly on Monday.

Where did you buy the unit from? Have you tried contacting them regarding the DOA unit?

RECALL!!!

Also I would suggest giving Garmin a call directly on Monday.

Where did you buy the unit from? Have you tried contacting them regarding the DOA unit?

Rather than calling Garmin up, I feel more like smashing it to the ground into a thousand pieces :warau:.

Got it from Wiggle...Wiggle is not to blame though, Garmin is. How dare they post "KNOWN BUG" and still continue to sell this piece of junk :mad: ????

After Toyota, time perhaps for Garmin MASSIVE RECALLS & testifying at Senate ???

BTW, James, what is a DOA unit ?

Tom,
Wiggle are pretty good with returns so you should be able to get a refund or a replacement. UK sale of goods act "Not Fit for Purpose". Good Luck!

AW.

(DOA = Dead On Arrival.)

Dead on Arrival !!

Alan, Thank you for enlightening me. Dead on Arrival...not really what happened to my Garmin 500 though. I "killed" :eek: it by uploading 2 files before configuration.

I agree, Wiggle is very reliable - always buy my stuff with them. I just don't think it is their fault but Garmin's. Will wait before returning to Wiggle after I try the recommended troubleshooting solution. Must wait until my device will shut itself off first though!

Tom,
Wiggle are pretty good with returns so you should be able to get a refund or a replacement. UK sale of goods act "Not Fit for Purpose". Good Luck!

AW.

(DOA = Dead On Arrival.)

Tom,

I've read that if you hold down the hard reset buttons then insert it in to the USB at the same time (Might require a beautiful assitant) that it will force it to be recognised by the PC.

If you want and you have time I could take a look at the unit. I've resurected iPhones, Garmins and other stuff like this many a time.

KNOWN BUG

Thanks James, you are very kind.

Yes, I know that remedy below and I even had my assistant (maybe not so beautiful :cool:) besides me.
The real difficulty/trick is to first turn off :eek: the device before one can initiate that procedure!

Anyways, there is good news and hope...last evening I kept fiddling with my
new toy trying all kinds of combinations touching various buttons sometimes
simultaneously, sometimes for more than 10 seconds, sometimes while still
connected to my PC, etc, etc. ...and then all of a sudden the screen
turned completely blank...the Garmin logo had finally gone :) !!! This is the
precondition for the alternative troubleshooting solution offered on
Garmin's website.

I then followed the prescribed procedure step by step
deleting the "new files" folder (containing the routes I had uploaded)
after my PC recognized mass storage. After that, I was even able to
configurate the device and successfully track satelites, etc...:)

Great! I thought...now let's try to upload that crucial Tokyo-Itoigawa
route again.... Upload successful. :) All right! I thought...now let's turn
the device on again....oh no! SH*T!!! :mad: Same thing again...Garmin won't go
beyond the GARMIN logo display, refuses to do anything!! :mad::mad: I spent another
1 hour fiddling and fiddling before I managed to get the uploaded route out
of it again. Now it is functioning again (can track satelites), however, I
am scared :eek:uch: to upload anything to it. Very sad because this is exactly why I
bought this new GPS to replace my old Edge 205...I need the 18 hour battery
capacity to guide me to Itoigawa in May!!

I will patiently :(wait for Garmin to come up with a software update to
eliminate this bug (which they "promise" they will do on their website).

Otherwise, the Garmin 500 is very handsome & sturdy and I like new features
such as vertical speed which my Edge 205 does not have.

SUMMARY: If one loads a "corrupted" file to Garmin 500, it will no longer progress past the startup screen (GARMIN logo).
Until Garmin comes up with a remedy, one had better not try to upload anything !

Tom,

I've read that if you hold down the hard reset buttons then insert it in to the USB at the same time (Might require a beautiful assitant) that it will force it to be recognised by the PC.

If you want and you have time I could take a look at the unit. I've resurected iPhones, Garmins and other stuff like this many a time.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Further vindication of my belief that I don't need a Garmin...

Is the battery removable? (Hope so - without it I wouldn't even think of buying such a "short-lived" device.) Temporarily removing the battery is normally the way to reset just about any device, in no time.

Good luck! Ludwig

Back
Top Bottom