What's new

Tech Garmin Cadence Magnet Replacement

Jason Cha

Cruising
Aug 30, 2013
I have never have lost a cadence sensor magnet in over 15+ years, you are talking about the one that goes on the crank right? I use double sided cushion tape and a cable tie. Any magnet will work however but are they getting stolen or what?

I have never have lost a cadence sensor magnet in over 15+ years, you are talking about the one that goes on the crank right? I use double sided cushion tape and a cable tie. Any magnet will work however but are they getting stolen or what?

Yes. It must be the shape of my crank arms, but they're such that the zip tie isn't 100% tight, so the magnet can slip out if the double sided cushion tape gets loose for some reason. I probably could get another OEM one and fasten it better (e.g., better tape), but was wondering if this was a better approach.

It must be the shape of my crank arms

What crank arms do you have? I've had the magent detach from the foam cushion but the zip tie has always held it on the crank (just moved). I just araldited* it back in place and put the Zip tie back on for safety sake.

* does seem a bit extreme but I just can't see myself needing to remove the magnet.

Nothing too weird - FSA Gossamer crank arms look like this. Just the way it hollows out makes mounting the magnet a little more complicated. I've mounted them inside the hollow part which results in the zip tie not being snug. Mounting on the flat part just next to the spindle hole kinda works, except that eventually the magnet slips into the hollow part and then slips out.

11045d.jpg

the way it hollows out
Well I can see why the tie doesn't work very well for you - it depends on the magnet sitting proud. I read somewhere the sticky cushion is just to hold it there while you fit the cable tie (ie the tie is the main way to hold it in place).
Anyway Robert's magnet solution, above, looks superb - might get myself one just to get rid of the horrible cable tie. Irronically, the third e-bay picture (the before of the before/after photo) shows a way of you mounting the Garmin magnet so it sits proud of your crank and not in the hollow

I don't use this stuff, but seeing this makes me wonder who the engineers were who decided on sticky tape and a tie wrap.

Titanium spindled peddles with carbon cranks still pose a problem.

Titanium spindled peddles with carbon cranks still pose a problem.

Still, isn't that location more mountable? Maybe something you could count on inserting into the hex, or the inside of your pedal, and leaving it there?

Or maybe garmin thinks that sticky tape and a tie-wrap will be okay…

For all their beta-testers.

Stuff I buy should last for years, not a season, or partial season. And they should've sorted all this out beforehand, anyway.

That's probably why I have a simple edge 500 (no add-ons), and not some other thing they sell.

Last edited:
Tokyu Hands. They sell a variety of sizes. As long as your pedal axle is steel - works fine. Othewise - I've seen people use even Bluetack to mount them in the axle recess.

Back
Top Bottom